Hunting Bows

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

I'm looking at getting a new bow and I'm curious what types of bows everyone is shooting and why.

I want a single cam and I've been looking at PSE, Bear and Martin bows.

This being my first year I'm trying to watch my cost with this.

I need a LH model and they seem a little harder to find at the local dealers.

I've been told the split limbs are better, just curious if anyone has any thoughts on that to.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using a very old bow. It was my dad's before we did some horse trading. It is a "big" bow, you know before they started making all of them "youth" size.

The reason why, is because I am cheap and it is all I have. I hope to get one of those new "youth" size bows soon, but until then I will just keep using my 20+ years old bow.

I will post a picture tomorrow. This would be cool if everyone would post a picture of theier bow rig.

Guest walkingdeadman

I bought an older Pearson off of craigslist last year, spent about 125 bucks on it and I am pretty happy with it. Paid 40 bucks for the bow, so I don't think I am out too bad. I watch craigslist all the time. There is always bows on there, mostly people just getting outta the sport and trying to get rid of their equipment. I just don't think I see myself ever walking into an archery store and dropping 600 - 800 on a brand new bow. I will post pics tomorrow.

Guest redbarron06
Until your sure your going to love bow hunting, PSE is the way to get in it with a great shooter at low cost. PSE Bruin here and I can call my shot on a deer target at anything 25 yards in.

so true.

The nice thing about PSE is they make low end and high end bows so you can get int them for reasonable prices. You may also want to look at Diamonds. Many of them come set up as kits and are just about ready to shoot out of teh box. Try to get it from a proshop and make sure that you are getting set up for the right length, draw weight, arrow spine and so forth. Just like a bullet to a gun chamber the bow has to fit the shooter and you have to have the right stiffness of arrows. If the bow dont fit, it makes it much harder to be consistant, which translates into accuricy. If you are not accurite with it it will be a) discouraging and you will not want to pratice as often, and :D more likley to make a marginal shot on an animal.

Clutepc,

I don't know which end of Nashville you live in but what redbarron said is so so true. If you buy off the shelve at Walmart or Dicks and don't get a lucky fit, you won't like the results and the money you saved will be wasted.

If you wouldn't mind the drive, Poindexters Bait shop (yes a bait shop) in Gallatin carrys a ton of great bows, PSE up to the high end Hoyt's and the bow smith is top notch. He will measure you up, set you in the right bow, tune it to you and cut and roll up your arrows. Your arrows have to be cut to match the length of your draw for precision.

Where ever you go, go NOW. In a couple of weeks you will be in the back log of guys turning their stuff in for tune ups and restringing and such. They won't have as much time to spend with you as they will now.

I have about an 18 year old Browning. Old, big, heavy bow, but it still shoots great! I would like to get a newer one, but Obama caused me to spend my extra money on an AR and ammo.:D

In fact, I still shoot aluminum arrows. My bow's all tuned up, so I have a hard time changing the setup. Well, I did put a new fiber optic sight on it, but that was a needed upgrade.

There was a Matthews LX + full setup on Craigslist not too long ago for $200. I called too late, or I would have jumped all over that!

I am looking forward to bow season.

BTW, Some of the Dick's Sporting Goods have most of their last year LH models on clearance. Some that I saw were Diamonds (by Bowtech) and Martin

Edited by Batman

Most bow shops have several used bows that can be had for alot less than new. This will allow you to pick up a quality bow at a reduced price and get the custom fit that a bow smith gives you. I would never recommend a new bow shooter towards a "do it yourself" set up. The bow shop will have you up and shooting on target before you leave.

Guest sharpshooter01

Bear Montana longbow here. I just wanted a challenge, that's why I started hunting with it. Buy a traditional bow and keep it simple :D

Bear Montana longbow here. I just wanted a challenge, that's why I started hunting with it. Buy a traditional bow and keep it simple :)

:D +1 here.

I have lots & lots (& lots) of bows, none of which havewheels or sights ;)

Longbow & recurve only for me. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? :poop:

Guest clutepc

This is my current bow, I like the way it shoots , It's 37" which isn't really bad I guess.

It's just seems noisy to me, I shot with some family a few weekends ago, one had a diamond and one a parker and it stood out to me.

It doesn't have any string leeches and it may just need something like that to get it a little quieter.

S5002016.JPG

I'll probably post it for sale this week if anyone is interested.

It's a LH model.