My guts or his...The steps of cleaning him out.

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

So if you have read any of my post from the past you know that I am new to hunting. I have only seen one doe get killed and field dressed, and never have killed one of my own.

I am not the type that gets an un-easy stomach over much. But I have only seen one deer be field dressed. I am wondering how your first experience was when you cut open your first kill. It's not that I am worried how I will react, because I know I will get the job done. Just curious to see if anyone has any pointers to help me along . Thanks, Roy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Hehe. Its gonna be a big day when you get one, I'll say that.

I did my first one when I was 12. My dad did alot of it. I didn't puke, but, I didn't eat much the rest of the day.

You realize you gotta cut the diaphram out and get the heart and lungs, plus cut off the windpipe up there pretty high. Going through a few ribs makes it easier. Also, you got to cut a circle around the anus and pull the lower intestine out through the body cavity. Just work slow and steady and get it all out of there. Try not to rupture anything, because that really does smell. Its really not all that hard once you do a few.

Well there is no way to get good at it without doing it a lot. I pretty much hate it. I do it, but I hate it. I have never puked, but I have been close on a couple gut shot deer. I wear latex gloves to keep stuff out from under my fingernails, I know, what a puss. ;)

I carry a saw and cut the pelvic bone, it makes it easier for me to not bust the bladder and to get the intestines/anus out with no meat contamination.

My daughter got her first deer last year and because it was late on sunday and she had school the next day she got to skip the gutting. I am going to make sure she kills one on a saturday morning this year.:eek:

All good pieces of advice, but I'd like to add one more. Since your hands and knife will be in areas that you'll have to go by feel, and not be able to see. BE CAREFUL OF THOSE FINGERS! Trust me.....

Dave

All good pieces of advice, but I'd like to add one more. Since your hands and knife will be in areas that you'll have to go by feel, and not be able to see. BE CAREFUL OF THOSE FINGERS! Trust me.....

Dave

Thats why you need a good knife with a good "sticky" grip so your hand will not slip onto the blade due to you having blood on it.

Yep, Don't be shy about it. Cut it open, don't hit the stomach, remove everything.

Some cut up the ribs to get more access. I don't, just reach in and handle it. Clip the diaphragm loose and reach up tho cut the esophagus and trachea. Don't cut the throat from the outside if you are doing any kind of mechanical skinning. The head will pop off if you do.

Guest coldblackwind

I always cheated. I was in Ny, where theres snow by deer season, and I'm the only one who could get the 4 wheeler up through the woods with snow on the ground, so i always got to say "here dad, gut this, I'll run down and get the 4-wheeler". :D

Guest FlyntG

only thing that really bothered me on my first one, is the sound from the deers throat as you handle the lungs. was a little creepy.

This is the part that makes me thing real hard before pulling the trigger. It is a mess no way around it. Go slow and you should be fine.

I got spoiled in SC. The place I hunted was 10 min from my processor. Bang, throw it in the truck and off to the processor. I'm really going to miss that guy. Best processor I have ever seen. Cordray's Venison Processing, Taxidermy,  and Cordray Farms All Natural Local Beef

Guest clutepc
Just remember you cannot remove the genitals when you field dress/gut a deer.

I wasn't even thinking about that, thanks for reminding me..!!

I probably need to find someone to watch the first time, I'm not expecting,

(ok hoping) to get a shot at one until later in the season being this is my first year so I should have some time to watch someone..

The first one I gutted, I punctured the stomach pretty early in the process. Corn. He liked corn. Didn't smell like corn, though! :)

I like to use a small knife and work slow. I also keep a sharpener in my pack in case the knife needs a better edge.

Depending on the terrain, sometimes you can position the deer to use gravity to your advantage. Just work slow, and let the stuff roll on out.

Guest Mugster
Why?

I remove them out of my deer while gutting.

Yet another dumbass TWRA reg. The last one I checked in, I wound up with nuts rolling around in the back of the truck.

What the penalty is I couldn't say. This is one thing that, so far anyway, I dunno anyone that has gotten a ticket for. I assume it'll cost you plenty of scratch if the right imbecile looks at your deer. Its all about the money to the regulators.

Guest snowduck

The blodd and guts never bothered me personally but that smell would have me heaving all day -- I now carry a closepin for my nose or carry it to a processor close by.

Yet another dumbass TWRA reg. The last one I checked in, I wound up with nuts rolling around in the back of the truck.

What the penalty is I couldn't say. This is one thing that, so far anyway, I dunno anyone that has gotten a ticket for. I assume it'll cost you plenty of scratch if the right imbecile looks at your deer. Its all about the money to the regulators.

I've never had anyone at the checking station want to look at the deer, only run my tag and get me out of there.

Guest Mugster
I've never had anyone at the checking station want to look at the deer, only run my tag and get me out of there.

Depends. Some of the draw hunt check ins are a bit anal. Out in Oak Ridge, they geiger your deer. I've heard some come up radioactive but that might be BS. I did take my meter with me although they don't issue meters to guys that don't work there.

Tullahoma is a real nice hunt if your a muzzleloader/bow guy and can get it.

But yeah, I was a little miffed last year. The check station I used didn't even look at the deer. I would have liked a weight on my big one. Which just pissed me off worse with the genital requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I was allways cheesed off by not having a knife sharp enogh for the job ,making it harder to do.now i use a box knife new blade every time ,no more dull blade.I know I should learn to sharpen my knife but is not for lack of trying ,Ido not seem to get it right .

Danny