400 Corbon vs 10mm

KahrMan

I was down at Hero Gear the other day looking at a 10mm Dan Wesson. I made the comment that I like carrying my 1911 with me when I go hunting but wanted a 10mm. Joe told me that if I didn’t want to buy a whole new gun that their gunsmith, Jeff, could hand fit a 400 Corbon barrel to my Kimber. So then all I would have to do is switch out barrels and I would have two different guns. Since it would cost about 1/3 of what a new DW 10mm would cost I said lets do it.

400 Corbon carries from about the same to a little bit more velocity and energy than the 10mm. Hunting loads in 170-180 grain bullets are running around 1300-1330 fps and carry 668-676 ftlbs. That is about a 50% increase in velocity and energy over .45 acp +p.

Now I need to take her out and do some shooting. I am interested in finding out what kind of muzzle blast and recoil the 400 Corbon has.

IMG_7415-web.jpg

In the pic that is the 45 barrel on the side. That is two rounds of 165 gr 400 Corbon I got to plink with.

Big thanks to Joe, Jeff and all the guys down at Hero Gear!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me know how you like it, im curious.

does 400corbon fit .45acp 1911 mags or 10mm 1911 mags or are they different?

400CB uses the same mag.

I wonder if they can do the same thing with other .45's.:dirty:

We are happy to do this to any quality 1911.

Guest BigShot

Please post your range results!! I have a current project that could easily swing to 400 Corbon since I have not purchased a barrel yet. Sounds interesting.

BigShot :P

• Administrator

The 400 Corbon uses the same case, necked down, as a .45 ACP cartridge therefore the extractor and ejector geometry are the same for both cases. The 10mm case has a smaller diameter, therefore a completely new slide assembly with proper placement of these components would be required for proper function.

Taken from Cor-Bon/Glaser FAQ

Q.Can any .45ACP be converted to 400 CorBon?

A. Just about. 1911A1's of all makes, Glock 21's, SIG 220's, S&W models - M645, M745, M4506, M4516, H&K USP's, Para-Ordnance, Ruger P90 to name the most popular. Don't convert old US Army .45's, they deserve an honored rest.

Q.You mean all I need to convert my 45 to 400 COR-BON

is a new barrel chambered in .400?

A. This usually is it for Glock 21, or SIG P220 pistols. The 1911 type .45’s may benefit from an 18-20lb. spring and a few need a 22-24lb. spring. Older 1911’s (series 70 etc.) may need an oversize firing pin to fit their oversize firing pin orifice plus a new firing pin spring. Don’t forget, 1911 guns have been made since the dawn of time by a jillion companies and their specifications vary all over the map. It’s up to you and your gunsmith to set up your 400 pistol properly; COR-BON has no control over it and we are not responsible for it. We manufacture 400 COR-BON cartridges to extremely stringent standards and these cartridges function perfectly in all our factory test guns which include several 1911 pistols, Glock 21’s, SIG 220’s.

Now, where to find a 400 Cor-Bon barrel for the SIG 220?

Taken from Cor-Bon/Glaser FAQ

Now, where to find a 400 Cor-Bon barrel for the SIG 220?

I am not the most knowledgeable about the best makers of barrels so I relied on Jeff Meister down at Hero Gear. He is the one who is making the HG line of 1911's. He suggested going with a Jarvis barrel. Says they are very high quality. The barrel was in the $220 range. Jeff then worked his magic to make sure everything fit and worked together properly. Give Jeff a call and I am sure he can hook you up.

Guest abailey362

this is kinda like the interchangeability of .40 and /.357 sig. it's good to be different sometimes.

what are you planning to hunt with this?

Guest Muttling

I haven't heard much about the 10mm's in several years. Are they starting to come back to the surface as a good round? Last I heard, the 10's underperformed the .45's, .357's, and .44 mags. (I don't recall seeing a comparison with the .44 special)

Guest Muttling
maybe underperform .45colt but not .45acp. the rest are revolver cartridges. 10mm is THE common pistol hunting cartidge

Why did people start leaving the .44 mag as the favored pistol hunting cartridge?

To be honest, I have rarely heard of people pistol hunting with anything other than a .44 mag unless it was small game. The comparisons I recall reading were looking at law enforcement uses.

Edited by Muttling
this is kinda like the interchangeability of .40 and /.357 sig. it's good to be different sometimes.

what are you planning to hunt with this?

I like to carry my 1911 when I go deer hunting just as a back up to my rifle. I only use it if a deer happens to walk close by the stand. If I am going to strictly hunt with a handgun then I use a revolver in 44mag or 454 casull.

Why did people start leaving the .44 mag as the favored pistol hunting cartridge?

To be honest, I have rarely heard of people pistol hunting with anything other than a .44 mag unless it was small game. The comparisons I recall reading were looking at law enforcement uses.

Since I am using this as a backup I like carrying a more compact 1911 verse a 7.5" hunting revolver. If I am going to strictly hunt with a handgun then I use a revolver in 44mag or 454 casull.