need some chattanooga info

hey guys, new member here. i used the search tool to try to find the answer to my question but didnt really have alot of lock. my question is for mainly the chattanooga area members but if youve got answers help me out! thanks

first of all, i exercise my right to open carry, just like alot of you guys do im sure. my main reason for doing this is cause i carry a medium to large frame auto, mostly my springfield xdm-40. its just not designed for comfortable concealed carry. i also just got my permit so i dont really know how open carry in chattanooga is. that is my question for you guys, is the chattanooga pd well educated in open carry, have any of you guys had any runins with the cpd of the sheriffs office? also, i know bilo does not allow concealed or open carry, but what about wal mart, from my understanding open carry is allowed in walmart, correct? well thanks for any answers guys and i look forward to attending some shoots and events with my fellow members on the site!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeharris

Chatt. cops in general are Stupid and have in past told me, when pulled over, that i have to tell them i am carrying! Yeah Right, also Wally-World will ask you to conceal your Gun, if you open carry!

Chatt. cops in general are Stupid and have in past told me, when pulled over, that i have to tell them i am carrying! Yeah Right, also Wally-World will ask you to conceal your Gun, if you open carry!

Yeah,lets not call Chattanooga cops stupid,ok!

The only interaction I've had went very well.

My car had actually broke down early one morning,and the cop that stopped to help was very cool about it.

I informed him I was carrying as soon as he aproached my window,he ask where it was,and said just to leave it there.

Never ask to see it,or put it away,didn't even want to see my permit.

The guy even gave me ride back home without disarming me! :rolleyes:

Guest Marine03

Chattanooga PD hate their jobs and want to make everone else miserable as a result. I am quoting what another local PO told me.

None of my interactions with Chatt. PD have gone well. My wife was pulled over and the officer searched the glovebox without asking. Luckily her gun was in her purse. The Police Department told me they could search you or your vehicle without a warrent or any real reason. That was after close to 100 phone calls over 6wks before someone even called me back. They won't even answer the phone.

The Police Chief was with Gov. Bredesen when he vetoed the "Guns in Resturaunts that serve alcohol" bill. He went on record at a city counsel meeting as saying "Permitting permit holders to carry in parks and public areas make my officer's jobs harder and more dangerous." Don't carry unless you want to be hassled. The Chatt. PD is very unfriendly to anyone who thinks they can defend themselves.

thanks for all the info. just like now ive heard different stories about the cpd, some say they are nice some say they are a-holes. i guess it just depends on the individual officer. how many people reading this actually do open carry in chatt?

I cant off-hand remember ever seeing anybody Open-Carry in Chatt.

Expect Barney to hassle you!:rolleyes:

Well if that's the case,then how do you know what happens?

I OC about half the time just because I have more importnat things to think about then my shirt tail,and I have never had any problems.

That's first hand experience.

What do you have,your opinion that cops are stupid ;)

Guest Bullwinkle

Hi Reed1285 and welcome, open carry in Hamilton County is rarely seen, you will not hear much on comment's about the "Local Yokel Cops" since on this board it is considered Cop Bashing and member's are scared of getting Banned, which happ. to even member's with over 1000 post's, since it is against Forum Rules to Bad Mouth "Barney", as you can tell, one of theMod's is about to have a Stroke!:rolleyes:

Hi Reed1285 and welcome, open carry in Hamilton County is rarely seen, you will not hear much on comment's about the "Local Yokel Cops" since on this board it is considered Cop Bashing and member's are scared of getting Banned, which happ. to even member's with over 1000 post's, since it is against Forum Rules to Bad Mouth "Barney", as you can tell, one of theMod's is about to have a Stroke!:)

Ok,

1) Rules are not biased upon post count.

2) You've not really been on long enough yourself to know how many people have been banned. In fact very few people have ever been banned,and AFIK,none have ever been banned for "cop bashing".

3) Calling "Chattanooga cops stupid" IS indeed "cop bashing"

If you fail to see that,might I suggest taking up on reading comprehension.

Guys,the rules on this is spelled out pretty clear HERE.

Might I suggest everyone reading that before posting anymore immature comments regarding cops here.

Guest abailey362

I would way just get some longer shirts or a smaller gun.

Walmart's policy is that concealed is left alone, but OC is asked to cover or leave. I have never seen a BiLo posted, not sure where the comment about them not allowing guns comes in.

CPD is very political and remember that the city is in a rebuilding and rebirth mindset aka liberal. Def. don't want to go to north shore or st elmo OC, or you're likely to get stoned

Guest Ctucciar

I have also never seen any posting at Bi-Lo and have carried (concealed) there before.

As far as the cops, i have lived here for 3 years now and have never had a problem with any of my encounters.

I have lived in the Chattanooga area all my life and have had both good and bad encounters with CPD.I had one berate me for not telling him I had a permit when I did not even have a gun with me,another told me he would arrest anyone whose gun was not registered even if they had a permit (he would not hear the fact there is no registration law in Tn).If you want to OC then go for it,it's legal but so is digging in your ass and sniffing your fingers in public.Either one will draw attention.

Police officers in Chattanooga, in my experience, are mostly hard working, dlilgent people.

If you are going to open carry, all I ask is, WHY? What's the point? Be prepared for confrontation. If that's what you're looking for, confrontation, you'll be happy.

Guest D.B. Cooper

I also carry a larger-frame gun, a Glock 22. I have never had a desire to draw attention to my gun. I used to live in Georgia, where OC was even more accepted than it is here.... I still kept my gun covered 90% of the time. I pretty much OC from my apartment to my car (and back) and that's about it. I have CC'd many times in Wal-Mart, Target, restaurants that aren't posted, etc.

I once OC'd into the Publix in East Brainerd. I was in the store for ten minutes, and by the time I went to checkout, I had every manager in the store following me around. As I was checking out, one of the managers approached me and asked if I was in law enforcement. As I politely told her no, she simply said "Oh, okay" and let me be. But the group of managers (three of them, I think) continued to huddle together and watched me leave.

again thanks for all the info. hearing all your guys experiences helps me make a better judgement, i must say this tho. i had one guy ask me why i decided to oc. well im sure all or most of you guys are familiar with opencarry.org. well there motto on their homepage reads out "a right not exercised is a right lost" i agree completely with that. we have the RIGHT to open carry, well if no one does, then eventually when someone does come out of the house with their gun on their side it draws more attention than when the president comes to town, because cops and the general public are not used to seeing that. so to answer the question on why i oc, thats why.

Now, on the other hand i also understand why most conceal carry, to avoid the inevitable confrontation with people or cops. cause if you oc it WILL eventually happen. I do not oc every single time i take my gun with me. just about half the time. when i know itd be better to conceal then i do. i have just never had a runin with the cpd yet and thats why this thread was started to hear some of your guys experiences with them. (oh for future references i DO appreciate and respect the law enforcement officers that put their lives on the line to protect and serve...thank you)

• Administrator
Hi Reed1285 and welcome, open carry in Hamilton County is rarely seen, you will not hear much on comment's about the "Local Yokel Cops" since on this board it is considered Cop Bashing and member's are scared of getting Banned, which happ. to even member's with over 1000 post's, since it is against Forum Rules to Bad Mouth "Barney", as you can tell, one of theMod's is about to have a Stroke!:D

Cry me a river. If you don't like the rules, find another place to hang out.