Time to stir it up.

So I was browsing the lastest Bass Pro flyer and started thinking. (Dangerous I know!) How the Hell Is This Hunting?

Was looking at all the "hunting" items. In this issue I saw:

1) An auto feeder to feed deer etc periodically

2) Infared game camera to take picture of animal eating from feeder.

3) Wild Acorn bait attractant- Drives deer wild!

4) Horney female deer smell stuff.

5) Fake horns to rattle to entice other deer to smell above stuff.

6) A lot more I am forgetting

Kind of seems like hunting over a baited field to me.

No, I'm not a PETA Freak. Yes, I know we need to cull the herds for the well being of the majority. No I don't hunt with a gun, only a camera. And yes, I have on my asbestos undies, so let the flames begin!

I don't have a problem with those who track and look for their animals, just those who sit in a stand over a 100 pounds of corn and a quart of doe uterus scent waiting to blast the horney feller!

Flame on guys!:rolleyes:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first, even if all that worked, you still don't just sit down and wait for them to walk up and blast away.

second, most of that don't work! (scents and that crap)

third, it is illegal in Tenn to hunt over bait. It must all be removed 10 days prior to hunting.

You may have seen some of the pictures I have posted. I will tell you I have yet to get a pic of a good one and then shoot same said beastie.

They are smart and all the ones you see in Aug/Sep on your camera completely change their habits once we "hunters" start into the woods.

I do feed, the old fashioned way, I haul 50 or 100 pound bags into the woods, toss it on the ground and set a camera up to see what comes in.

I don't use those attractant scents, did try some HS scents wafers a few years back with NO results.

I do use descenting detergent on my clothes and soap/shampoo on me but the best de-scent is a cover scent and that is a light coating of smoke!

We usually build a fire and I prefer cedar boughs but anything will do. Hold the outer clothes near or wave through smoke a few times. They are used to that smell, especially in the rural areas I hunt. Good stuff! I also will kick up leaves and drag my coat and boots around in the damp understuff.

So get out there and try to knock one of the good ones down. It is NOT easy.

Yeah, the advertising on that is not intended for the guys who hunt regularly. It is geared towards the recreational hunter who has money to burn and a lease he hasn't scouted. Those buggers are tough to get during hunting season. It's like they know the game and since they live it 24/7 they are better than you at it.

I've seen way more deer in the truck coming and going hunting than I have ever seen in the woods. They're taunting me I tell you!:)

first, even if all that worked, you still don't just sit down and wait for them to walk up and blast away.

second, most of that don't work! (scents and that crap)

third, it is illegal in Tenn to hunt over bait. It must all be removed 10 days prior to hunting.

You may have seen some of the pictures I have posted. I will tell you I have yet to get a pic of a good one and then shoot same said beastie.

They are smart and all the ones you see in Aug/Sep on your camera completely change their habits once we "hunters" start into the woods.

I do feed, the old fashioned way, I haul 50 or 100 pound bags into the woods, toss it on the ground and set a camera up to see what comes in.

I don't use those attractant scents, did try some HS scents wafers a few years back with NO results.

I do use descenting detergent on my clothes and soap/shampoo on me but the best de-scent is a cover scent and that is a light coating of smoke!

We usually build a fire and I prefer cedar boughs but anything will do. Hold the outer clothes near or wave through smoke a few times. They are used to that smell, especially in the rural areas I hunt. Good stuff! I also will kick up leaves and drag my coat and boots around in the damp understuff.

So get out there and try to knock one of the good ones down. It is NOT easy.

^^^^^^your answer!

Guest walkingdeadman

If you can't hunt on feeders during the season. Can you throw out some of that com'r deer or that kind of stuff, or is that the same thing. I was gonna start another thread on this, but i figured that this will do. Also, does private hunting land change any of the rules?

If you can't hunt on feeders during the season. Can you throw out some of that com'r deer or that kind of stuff, or is that the same thing. I was gonna start another thread on this, but i figured that this will do. Also, does private hunting land change any of the rules?

I believe at one time you were able to use mineral blocks that contained a certain amount of salt, but can't seem to find the rules on that. Will have to call or email them.

Guest Bluemax

VERO1, If you really wanted to stir it up, why not ask when all the technology takes the sport out of hunting. For instance,what if the next trail camera had an optional 30.06 round that could be fired from the conveinance of your living room. Don't anyone misunderstand, I hunt myself though not as much as I would like but I am kinda old school about the way is's done

That was kind of my point. Maybe I was to discreet. Whats next laser guided, heat seeking, full auto, trail cams?

I have no problem with hunters. Hunter poser, wannabes that rely on all the above stuff, plus a lot I don't know about, yeah, them I have a problem with!

Guest clsutton21

I'm sorry that you guys have so many problems hunting.

I usually just walk through the woods with my Winchester 30-30 and shoot a couple within my first hour any time of day. They are damn pests that spread disease and make you lose tons of money on food you plant for yourself. We lost an acre and a half of sweet corn due to deer and coons. If there wasn't a law against it, I would kill every one of those creatures I saw. I've never baited, but I don't guess you need to when you can look out your back door every night over the back 80 and kill at least 13 with one shot. We live close to Arnold AFB which is obviously federal land and the minute they cross that line, they are mine.

Guest 70below

I'm somewhat of a purist too. I agree thought that most of that crap is marketed to make money, but it rarely helps anyone harvest a deer.

I suppose there was a time when the white man was wiping out buffalo herds with repeating rifles that the bow hunters and muzzleloaders were complaining too. All the camo stuff always cracked me up too. I've worn blaze orange from head to toe and had doe and fawns literally walk right by me sitting at the base of a tree and never so much as twitch.

Give me a rifle, a box of ammo, warm clothes, and some boots and I'm happy.

Guest clsutton21

Give me a rifle, a box of ammo, warm clothes, and some boots and I'm happy.

I hunt naked with a butter knife now. I don't know why these people have problems shooting deer.

Edited by clsutton21
Guest Jcochran88

I agree you don't need all that stuff to kill a deer. Now that said Deer managment has definately taken off over the last few years.

Personally I use feeders year round(except during deer and turkey seasons) to help suplement their natural forage. I think over the past few years this has increased the body size and antler size of all the animals on my properties.

I also use trail cameras, I have used them to scout but more to just see what is actually on my properties. They like Rightwinger said don't make it a lock. But If I know that I have a 150 running around on the farm then I am more likely not going to shoot a 125. I also just enjoy looking at the wildlife and the trail cameras take some awsome pictures of animals in their natural settings, and during night time activites that I would never see without them.

That was kind of my point. Maybe I was to discreet. Whats next laser guided, heat seeking, full auto, trail cams?

I have no problem with hunters. Hunter poser, wannabes that rely on all the above stuff, plus a lot I don't know about, yeah, them I have a problem with!

Whats funny is there was/is a ranch that tried internet hunting forgot were it was but handicap people can pay, go online and shoot a deer using the internet. The machine has a gun and a "guide" (actual person) who help you out. You aim with your keyboard or mouse kill the animal and then they process and ship it to you. I saw a video on this a couple of years ago, wonder if it took off or had too many problems. When I saw it I thought that it was just crazy. Some states are banning it. Look up internet hunting and you can find all kinds of info on this.