advice needed

Guest lilredhunter

Guest pete14

I'm 6' 250lbs. My 5" 1911 conceals just fine. It's easier to conceal than my Glock 23. The Glock would be great if it wasn't shaped like a brick. The rear of the slide has a tendency to print, a sharp square poking through my t-shirt.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys I need some good advice. I am considering buying another carry weapon. I am a heavy set guy so some guns just are too large for mr to carry. I am looking for something that is fairly small it can be a wheel gun or a semi auto. I want enough power to take care of business.

lilred

Check it out. Just got it today. ;) Might be a good fit for you too: 1st Look: Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SureShot308

I'm with Motasyco on this one.

I carry a 380 in my front pocket, A 1911 Compact on my right hip, and a J-Frame on my ankle.

I picked up a Citadel 1911 Compact for about 600. I have 300 rounds through it without a problem. it is a little heavy when compared to other guns that size, but it helps with the .45 recoil. I'm 5'6" and all of a buck fifty and I don't have any problems carrying it all day long.

• 1 month later...
Guest lilredhunter

Well guys I have read and re-read all the suggestions in this thread. I have surfed many other forums. I have narrowed it down somewhat. I decided to go with a 9mm or a S&W .357. The Short list are G26, Walther pps, Springfield xdm,I also was considering a Taurus PT111 & the Sig 225. I have been to my local dealer and have fingered each of these and I like the wheel gun , g26 & the Sig. The Sig feels good in either hand. The S&W is the same way. The Glock feels good too. The Sig & Glock would be ok IWB for me or SOB. Everything I have looked at has been new except the Sig 225, it is used and was a police dept trade in.

lilredhunter:

If you're lookin at the Glock26... have you handled a Springfield Armory XD9mm Subcompact? It's really an awesome gun similar to the Glock26 in size and all but with some extra perks that the Glock doesn't have. Not to mention it comes with a heck of a lot more (holster, 1 regular mag, 1 extended mag, lock, cleaner, mag holder, case). It has the trigger safety system kinda like a Glock but what the Glock doesn't have is the grip safety on the back of the gun. It also has two indicators that let you know it's ready to fire! (A.) It's got the striker status indicator on end of the gun to let you know visually and by feel the gun is cocked. (B.) Also it has the loaded chamber indicator that can be checked visually and by feel on top of the chamber to let you know there is a round in the chamber.

(I carry the XD 40 subcompact every day and love it. I chose it too because I can buy an aftermarket barrel and mag that'll fit the gun and make it into a 9mm for only ~ $150.00, if I want to.)

Good luck with your search.

Guest lilredhunter

Well guys I actually bought a the Springfield XD 9mm. Got it much cheaper than the rest I had been looking at. I got the xd for $488 new. I found a little shop that was not open much and he had this one and the guy was just selling everything off.

I suggest that you give the Kahr PM9 a look. It is not a cheap gun, but it is a lot smaller than the Walther PPS, comes with six and seven round magazines & can use the Kahr eight round mags if you need them.

I have carried my PM9 almost constantly for two years, and have never regretted its purchase. Its accuracy is the equal of much larger pistols, and has been extremely dependable.

Almost every gun rag magazine claims that the Walther PPS is so small that it is revolutionary, but the PM9 existed before the PPS, is equal in thickness, and is much smaller in every dimension.

The bottom line is that the PPS is an excellent pistol, but it is large enough that it needs to be carried in a holster inside your waistband or on your belt, but the PM9 can be carried in your pocket - I do it every day.

I don't personally have one of these, but a friend does and they are impressive. You can get them in .40 as well. Small and easy to control.