advice needed

Guest lilredhunter

Guest lilredhunter

Ok guys I need some good advice. I am considering buying another carry weapon. I am a heavy set guy so some guns just are too large for mr to carry. I am looking for something that is fairly small it can be a wheel gun or a semi auto. I want enough power to take care of business.

lilred

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

I would suggest the Walther PPS in either .40 cal. or 9 mm. We sell a bunch of these pistols because the PPS has several notable features aimed at better fit and safe performance within its narrow dimensions.

• Ambidextrous Magazine Release (I love this one)
  • Two Magazine Sizes (Third Optional- see below)
  • Loaded Chamber & Cocking Indicators (a must IMO)
  • Small & Large Backstrap (gives you a perfect fit)
  • Trigger Safety
  • Internal Striker Safety
  • Walther's QuickSafe Safety

With the 9 mm you have 6 & 7 Round magazines (8 Round Available) and with the .40 cal. you get 5 & 6 Round magazines (7 Round Available)

content_bg_home.jpg

Edited by Phantom6
Added Link to Walther
Guest m4coyote

I suggest that you give the Kahr PM9 a look. It is not a cheap gun, but it is a lot smaller than the Walther PPS, comes with six and seven round magazines & can use the Kahr eight round mags if you need them.

I have carried my PM9 almost constantly for two years, and have never regretted its purchase. Its accuracy is the equal of much larger pistols, and has been extremely dependable.

Almost every gun rag magazine claims that the Walther PPS is so small that it is revolutionary, but the PM9 existed before the PPS, is equal in thickness, and is much smaller in every dimension.

The bottom line is that the PPS is an excellent pistol, but it is large enough that it needs to be carried in a holster inside your waistband or on your belt, but the PM9 can be carried in your pocket - I do it every day.

Guest JHatmaker

You've got numerous choices, so first decide how you want to carry it. In a pocket, inside the waist, etc. My favorite "pocket" style guns have been my Rohrbaugh R9s (9mm) and a little SIG P238 (.380) I use as a backup. I typically carry IWB or small of the back and rotate b/t a 3" 1911 .45, a sub-compact .40, and a sub-compact 9mm.

There's another thread on here regarding "pocket" style pistols with some good discussion going on.

You may want to check out the classifieds section here, there's a PM9 for sale as well as "other" carry guns. I'm just sayin'.....:mad:

The PPS is an odd little gun in my humble opinion. If you are use to a traditional magazine release "button" then the PPS will take a lot of getting use to due to it's odd Trigger Guard mag release lever.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I would advocate the Kahr PM9 or even the Kahr P9. The PM9 is small, reliable and traditional in its function.

Edited by Ben
spelling

budget? a PPS will bang you up for around $600, maybe more (but it's a really nice top-of-the-line piece), while you could probably find a .38 snubby or a little Kel-Tec for around $300...

i have a Kel-Tec PF9 that I carry now and then (only carry it when i have to, formal-wear or beach attire, etc), and while the trigger isn't great and it's no target pistol by any stretch, it has been reliable through close to 1000rds... but for the money, it does quite a good deal of what the PPS can do...

i like to keep my carry guns in the same caliber (9mm for me), so when i go to the range with a bunch of ammo i'm more likely to put some rounds through my BUG if i feel like it (w/o needing a "special" caliber)... just a thought.

many options out there... good luck!

Edited by CK1

I'm 6' 250lbs. My 5" 1911 conceals just fine. It's easier to conceal than my Glock 23. The Glock would be great if it wasn't shaped like a brick. The rear of the slide has a tendency to print, a sharp square poking through my t-shirt.

A PPS may be $200-$300 more than a KelTech, but its worth every penny more.

i can't agree, the PPS i had was not very reliable at all, maybe you guys got better examples (mine had feeding issues... especially w/ hollow points, but was really accurate and sure looked/felt cool though!), the experience was how i came upon owning the PF9...

that said, and besides, if the OP has the budget for a PPS ($500-$600), and if the gun doesn't need to be as slim as the PPS/PF9 variety, if he doesn't already have one, (to almost quote TLJ from the fugitive) forget all these other sissy guns and just get yourself a glock...

with a sub-compact G26/27/29/33/36 you can pick whichever caliber you want, and it's a purchase you'll likely never regret (and you'll get back most of what you put in if you ever do...)!

Edited by CK1

You can't go wrong either way with a S&W 640/642 or a Glock G23/G19. There are other revolvers in the same size range and other quality semi-autos in that size and 9MM or .40S&W. I personally (shorter but still portly) carry a 642/640 or G23 depending on clothing. But I am in no way going to say these are the only quality choices. Stay away from the cheap stuff and look at the major makes. Surf around the forums and check out reliability. You live in a great age, there is a plethora of reliable and quality handguns out there right now to meet your needs. I wouldn't lose sleep for carrying any of them. Keep it clean and feed it good ammo!

Edited by wjh2657
Guest 3pugguy
Ok guys I need some good advice. I am considering buying another carry weapon. I am a heavy set guy so some guns just are too large for mr to carry. I am looking for something that is fairly small it can be a wheel gun or a semi auto. I want enough power to take care of business.

lilred

Try a Glock 19 or 23 (.40) or if you want smaller, the 26 or 27 (.40). I have a G19 and love it. Easy to conceal, great shooter. I went thru the same process and decided on the Glock (I think any fairly "name brand" will give you great service - just a layman's opinion).

Many on here swear by their XD compacts/sub compact, also- guess it will depend on what fits your hand, eye, and budget.

Have fun trying out the different offerings and let us know what you get (with pictures of course).

Guest lilredhunter

I appreciate all the suggestions. My budget is somewhere in the $500-600 range. I have looked at many different ones and can't really find the perfect carry gun. I guess it doesn't really exist.lol Right now I have narrowed it down to a few.

Glock 23,

Khar 9mm

Keltec 9mm

S&W K frame.

I am leaning toward the last 3. I am having a hard time. I want something fairly small and something with a punch. Taurus makes a few decent ones. I was really looking at the PT111. I wish I could find a light weight 1911. I know it will never happen:drool:.

I forgot one. I am also considering a Glock36. I like the way it feels but it is a litttle thick. I have heard horror stories about almost every gun out there. I don't know yet what I will get.

Edited by lilredhunter

Just picked up the CZ P07 and it is fantastic. My personal opinion of the perfect carry gun. G19 size, 16+1 capacity, cane be DA/SA OR SA (ala 1911, Hi-Power), Is easily carried and at $418 you can get a nice holster and ammo all easily under your budget. If you are ever in Nashville, your more than welcome to try it out.

Downsides ATM: holster choice is limited. Just a thought.

I started out carrying a .380 in my pocket because I wanted to keep it concealed. Even then I thought people could make it out and were "looking" at me. Now I have a 1911 I carry owb on my hip and don't worry about a lump under my shirt. I say find a gun you like, figure out the most comfortable way for you to carry it and just go with it. Carry the way it makes you comfortable, not how it makes others around you comfortable.

Guest donfromtexas

I think your best bet is to figure out what caliber you want... everyone has different opinions on what is a man-stopper and what isn't so you will have to make a personal choice on that one. For me it is nothing less than a .38 special and preferably a .45

I would then march on over to your local gun store, take a look at what they offer and handle every one that looks good to you.

After you figure out which one "feels" right, come back here and get some input on the quality, problems, etc.. that the forum members have had with that particular weapon. You can also google the model and there will be plenty of forum posts on your choice. There is also a site called gunblast.com that has reviews on just about anything you fire with videos and plenty of pics.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

I have a 642, hard to beat for size and weight, it is my pocket gun. I have a Glock 27 with a clipdraw and a trigger block, it is my carry gun w/o holster. I have a SW 3913 9mm, it is my holster carry gun. Here is a interesting link/opinion on the 3913.

http://www.thegunzone.com/3913nl.html

these three guns are staying in my arsenal, everything else is fair game to get swapped around.