The tumbler's little secrets

So I've picked up a tumbler from Harbor Freight with crushed walnut shell media. I have Dillion's polishing additive also. The thing moves around so much that I have to set it in the grass to keep it from walking on me. The tumbler doesn't come with instructions worth wiping your butt with, so what are ya'll's little secrets for using the tumbler? How long? Do you size a de-primer beforehand? I've seen some put in dryer sheets to collect the crap, do you shred it first?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set my tumbler on a neoprene mouse pad to cut down on noise and walking. I usually don't tumble first. I size/deprime, then use the tumbler to get rid of the case lube and polish.

The used dryer sheets are just torn into thirds and tossed in. By the end of a 2-3 hour tumble, they are about black and the cases are pretty shiny. If I want a factory shine, just leave them in longer(4 hours+).

For polish, I use the Once A Year Polish in the orange bottle from WalMart.

Be sure to keep the lid on the tumbler to keep down the dust.

Hope this helps.

Mike

My Lyman 1200 stays put and doesn't walk. Just wondering if their design is a little better in transfering more of the vibration to the bowl and not the base. Either that or the rubber feet have more grip.

I tumble before I resize since I use carbide dies and don't use lube. From what I've heard that helps cut down on potential scratching of the die.

I do add some of the orange bottle auto polish as well. I haven't tried the dryer sheet idea yet.

I tumble between 3 - 4 hours depending on how many cases are in the tumbler.

My Lyman 1200 stays put and doesn't walk. Just wondering if their design is a little better in transfering more of the vibration to the bowl and not the base. Either that or the rubber feet have more grip.

I tumble before I resize since I use carbide dies and don't use lube. From what I've heard that helps cut down on potential scratching of the die.

I do add some of the orange bottle auto polish as well. I haven't tried the dryer sheet idea yet.

Given mine came from Harbor Freight, it's a given that your's is designed better. I'm considering making a square out of fir strips to hold the thing in place on the bench for 4 hours.

I have a dillon, and it doesn't walk, but it sure will vibrate the hell out of the bench. I usuall set it on the floor on a "pig mat", which is a padded oil adsorbent mat. I do not deprime beforehand for the simple fact of worruing about the primer pocket / flashole being damaged. I throw some torn paper towels in every now and then to collect some of the crap from the media.

I have a dillon, and it doesn't walk, but it sure will vibrate the hell out of the bench. I usuall set it on the floor on a "pig mat", which is a padded oil adsorbent mat. I do not deprime beforehand for the simple fact of worruing about the primer pocket / flashole being damaged. I throw some torn paper towels in every now and then to collect some of the crap from the media.

A much better idea since I'd rather place the thing on the floor.

so how much of the orange stuff do you add per batch? I've been told to add some polish, just not sure how much?

Guest H0TSH0T

i have a Frankford Arsenal (quick-n-ez) it is pretty quiet with the lid on tight,

i normally run 2 batches,

just throw in what ever i shot or found from the range that day, i pitch them in for 30 min, turn it on and forget about it.strain the media out , then i will re-size and deprime, and pitch the brass back in while i do the same to all the rest, i will make a circle with new brass polish while it is on, after the last piece of brass i put the lid on and will let it run for another 30 min, strain a second time, and start reloading, if i drop a peice of brass i will pitch it back in if it has a new primer i will pop it slowly out first and save for later.CCI00003-1.gif

i do recomend not to leave it sit for to long unattended, or on something, or near anything flamable, i have fixed up many a home after the tumbler started a fire. no joking people, i fix about 2 a year.

Guest Mugster

I'd say the secret to a tumbler is to try not to get too much out of it. I tumble about an hour before I resize and then maybe an hour after sizing to get the gunk off before I trim and work on primer pockets. The spray RCBS lube contains hexane and probably other petroleum derivatives in it, so that helps clean the brass and cut the gunk. It doesn't have to look pretty. Just functional.

If the brass has little spots of corrosion or rust on it on inspection, I'll toss it or hand clean it.

Edited by Mugster
so how much of the orange stuff do you add per batch? I've been told to add some polish, just not sure how much?

I add about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cap about every 2nd tumbling session. That seems to be enough for me. It gets the brass nice and shiny.