Mid to high end EDC 1911, Need some suggestions.

Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

I was looking real hard at the Wilson Combat KZ in a commander type package but things could not get worked out today. In addition to that it does not take regular 1911 mags and spares are $50. So I figured I would open up the debate here.

Looking for a mid to high end 1911 with the 4-4.25 barrel for every day carry. So far the one that I have found that I really like (as far as looking on the internet) is the Wilson Stealth

02.jpg

But at $3000 to $3500 (without the CT grips that I really dont need) it is a little out of the price range. I was looking for something more along the lines of the 12-1800, 2K tops range.

I currently have a Para LTC but I have had the slide at thier shop now for more than 6 weeks just to get night sites put on. I have called 4 times and they tell me they dont know when they are going to get some more night sites in. I emailed the HQ and they said

Thank you for your patience.

So I have had it with Para. I am actually thinking about just having them ship it back and trading it in.

What are some suggestions as far as make and model for everyday carry 1911s.

Looking for 4-4.25 Barrel, Must take full size mags (8 rounds) no short grips. Night sites, would like mag well and front slide serrations.

I know that some will mention Kimbers. I have nothing agaist them but for some reason every one I have picked up just seems to feel funny compaired to other 1911 so unless it is a super deal I really dont pay them much attention.

What say you guys?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was partial to Kimbers until S&W came out with the SW1911 line. I have not seen the new SW1911 Compact ES but it might be something you want to take a look at. I don’t care for alloy frames, but I think you will find that in most 4†1911’s.

I would put my sub $1K full size stainless SW1911 up against those in the high dollar range.

Nighthawk

Ed Brown

Those are my two favorites. I always have one or the other on my hip. I own two of each. One each bobtail and each full size. Never have let me down. I'll run IDPA or EDC with 'em without a 2nd thought.

Guest redbarron06

OK what is the bob tail all about? I have seen a couple of manufactures doing it. Brown and Wilson both have bobtail models.

I had not thought of S&W.

Guest 3pugguy
I was looking real hard at the Wilson Combat KZ in a commander type package but things could not get worked out today. In addition to that it does not take regular 1911 mags and spares are $50. So I figured I would open up the debate here.

Looking for a mid to high end 1911 with the 4-4.25 barrel for every day carry. So far the one that I have found that I really like (as far as looking on the internet) is the Wilson Stealth

02.jpg

But at $3000 to $3500 (without the CT grips that I really dont need) it is a little out of the price range. I was looking for something more along the lines of the 12-1800, 2K tops range.

I currently have a Para LTC but I have had the slide at thier shop now for more than 6 weeks just to get night sites put on. I have called 4 times and they tell me they dont know when they are going to get some more night sites in. I emailed the HQ and they said

So I have had it with Para. I am actually thinking about just having them ship it back and trading it in.

What are some suggestions as far as make and model for everyday carry 1911s.

Looking for 4-4.25 Barrel, Must take full size mags (8 rounds) no short grips. Night sites, would like mag well and front slide serrations.

I know that some will mention Kimbers. I have nothing agaist them but for some reason every one I have picked up just seems to feel funny compaired to other 1911 so unless it is a super deal I really dont pay them much attention.

What say you guys?

Joe at Hero Gear was starting a line of branded 1911s - there is a thread somewhere in the forums on that topic if you wanted to check that out for an option.

The S&Ws, as Dave mentioned, are really nice. Also, Dan Wesson was brought up - you cannot go wrong with one - I've never shot one, but in my ever-ongoing search to find yet another 1911 that I liked, the DW was one that I had a chance to play around with, and I was surprised and envious at the attention to detail, weight, and feel.

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson 1911 Pro 9mm, but I won't be carrying it. Their 45 is super-nice, as well, and for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer firearm. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

IMO, I would never spend 3k-3.5k on a 1911 that is at best semi-custom. You can build a 1911 with the best parts on the planet, have one of the five or six best smiths in the US build it for you and you will come in under 3k.

If I were going semi-custom I would buy a Baer or a Brown or even a Nighthawk. My experience with Wilson has been less than desired as of late. :hat:

Guest HexHead
As well as the others mentioned STI makes some nice commander sized single stack 1911's also, like the Guardian and Ranger II. I have a full size Lawman and have been very happy with it.

STI not only makes a nice pistol, but you'll also be dealing with a company that told CA to go to hell. That would be a tie breaker. :hat:

Seriously, take a look at the Hero 1911s. I've fired them and they are very nice, especially at their price point. Hand fitted & assembled from the best parts for the price of an upper end Springfield or Kimber.

IMO, I would never spend 3k-3.5k on a 1911 that is at best semi-custom. You can build a 1911 with the best parts on the planet, have one of the five or six best smiths in the US build it for you and you will come in under 3k.

If I were going semi-custom I would buy a Baer or a Brown or even a Nighthawk. My experience with Wilson has been less than desired as of late. :D

Yep, go find the lowest grade Springfield (or similar) that you like and personalize it. If I were looking at the semi-customs I'd keep Wilson in the running but take out STI.

If you consider a bobtail try to find one to shoot before you dump $1,500+ into something that you don't like - like me :hat:

If I were looking at the semi-customs I'd keep Wilson in the running but take out STI.
It all depends on what you want to spend. If I were in the market for a $2,500+ 1911, I'd probably go with Ed Brown(if I didn't have a full custom built) as my first choice. But in the $1,000 to $1,500(for single stacks) range, STI is hard to beat. Of course I'm probably just a little biased.:) Like HexHead said, the fact that they told CA to shove it is just icing on the cake.

id suggest getting a MilSpec and having it built to your specs. i am starting with a Stainless Springfield Armory Mil-Spec that i just picked up. its not a Commander size but they do make the GI in a "Champion" which is SAIs Commander.

It all depends on what you want to spend. If I were in the market for a $2,500+ 1911, I'd probably go with Ed Brown(if I didn't have a full custom built) as my first choice. But in the $1,000 to $1,500(for single stacks) range, STI is hard to beat. Of course I'm probably just a little biased.:wave: Like HexHead said, the fact that they told CA to shove it is just icing on the cake.

I had some serious quality and performance issues with my STI and they told me to shove it too.

I had some serious quality and performance issues with my STI and they told me to shove it too.
Sorry to hear it.:wave: I can understand your disappointment with them. From most things I've seen in the past, STI has been known for excellent customer service. I haven't had any personal experience with their CS though.