kel-tec question??????????

Guest jdavis

Guest jdavis

i have a p11 and need to know if its a good idea to replace the plastic guide rod with steel, and what about the belt clip things are they worth fooling with, or do i just need to find a good leather holster?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jdavis

i just got mine and havent fired it yet, how do they perform out of the box ,what is the break in period on it? before yall nail me about searching the web for answers, i have and the web answered them for me, but i have grown to trust the oppinions of the members on here over just about anyone, why i dont know but i do .

Edited by jdavis

I've been carrying a P11 for years. It's the best. I use and like the belt clip though I have it mounted on the opposite side as I like carrying the gun on the strong side with the butt forward. Maybe kind of odd, but with a little practice it works out great for me. The clip is pretty tight so I haven't been uncomfortable with it coming loose.

I did do a fluff and buff on it way back when it was new, not sure if that is recommended now or not. I have the org. plastic guide rod and have had no trouble. I put a hogue handall on mine and like it way it helps cut down on the sharp molded checkering.

You might go here, this forum is dedicated to all things Kel-tec.

I bought a P3AT and installed the belt clip, but I don't care for it. I carry in my pocket and found that it was difficult to draw with the clip in use. I also didn't care for the feel of it inside my waist band.

I ended up with a desantis pocket holster. It's made out of neoprene and holds the gun in place while in my pocket. It also sticks inside my pocket, so I can draw the pistol and not the holster. As an added bonus, It hides the shape of the gun, so there is no printing.

I started carrying in my front pocket, but I also keep my knife there, and it kept getting in the way. Now I keep it in the back pocket. Took a little while to get used to the feel, and it's a bit uncomfortable to sit on, but that is where I kep it most of the time now.

Whenever I get a Kel-Tec pistol, I polish the feed ramp, and I polish the barrel. The P-ll has been around a long time, and has many satisfied users. The only draw back is the tough trigger. However, since there is no other safety, the strong trigger may be seen as a safety device, and not really a bad thing. P-11s usually function fine without any break in period, in my experience.

I don't know what the "if you don't care" is about. I polish the feed ramp, and I also polish the external length of the barrel. (Unless you get a parkerized or chromed barrel, and then I don't polish that. Kel-Tec barrels come in a variety of finishes. I just polish those that happen to be plain steel.)

Guest jdavis

my barrel is parkerized so i wouldnt need to pollish it right? the "if you dont care" was just saying i dont mean to be a pain about the questions. i pollished the feed ramp to a glassy appearance ,and cleaned the mold lines off of the frame ,the dots on the sites need a little attention what is the best type of paint to use on them for visibillity? and i think i will just get a s.o.b holster any preferences?

Bianchi 100 is a good sob holster. I like a left handed one, to make it reach my right hand better. Like everyone, we all experiment with holsters, and end up with a box full! :tinfoil:

You could try some nail polish, or some testors model paint for your sights. Sounds like you have done about everything. Have fun shooting your P11.

• 1 month later...

I have a Kel-Tec P-11 that I use as a primary carry weapon. I probably have only a couple hundred rounds through it, but no problems what-so-ever with the plastic guide rod. I can't speak to the clip, as I've never tried one. I carry mine in my right front pocket, in a pocket holster. It works fine except my current holster, an Uncle Mike's soft holster, comes out when I draw the gun... not good! I'd like to find an "A-Holster" if they make a pocket holster for the KT P-11.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I had a p11. It broke, but I guess that is beside the point. I called Kel-Tec about the metal guide rod, and the lady I talked to actually recommended against it. She said something about needing a plastic one that would flex or something. I liked it for a carry gun, but it is just really hard to trust something after it breaks on you while shooting. It sure would be hard to talk somebody out of something when you have already shot at them a couple of times.