AR-15 Build

willis68

I ordered all of the stuff to complete my lower halve for my SBR

already have the DPMS stripped lower receiver,

1.Magpul CTR Carbine Mil Spec, complete assembly-Flat Dark Earth

2.Magpul MOE Grip-Flat Dark Earth

3.Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

4.RRA Lower Receiver Parts Kit w/ NM Two Stage Trigger

My question is what tools will I need to have to put this together? punches etc, also what is a good place to get them,

Thanks in advance ;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboniumOxide

You are going to need a tool for the castle nut for the buffer tube. Looking at the DPMS tool above, I don't think it has that part. You will need a roll pin punch set too, definitely. It sounds like you are going to have a nice build. Please post pics when you get them!

You are going to need a tool for the castle nut for the buffer tube. Looking at the DPMS tool above, I don't think it has that part. You will need a roll pin punch set too, definitely. It sounds like you are going to have a nice build. Please post pics when you get them!

Thanks, but I am only building the Lower half, I am buying a LMT : CQB MRP Piston Top End, 12†, Full Auto, after I get my stamp, so the lower half is all I will be doing soon,

Thanks, but I am only building the Lower half, I am buying a LMT : CQB MRP Piston Top End, 12†, Full Auto, after I get my stamp, so the lower half is all I will be doing soon,

If you're only building the lower half all you really need is the castle nut wrench. I've got a couple of those as well. The DPMS tool does have a wrench as well.

Thanks,

I will indeed post pics as it progresses!

That is going to be one butt kicking AR! I built my AR lower in my lap with a cheap set of punches, a hammer, a rubber mallet, a piece of wood and some masking tape. Others have mentioned using vice grips and a razor blade. I used a pipe wrench and piece of leather for the castle nut but it came loose so I would snag one of the combo wrenches when you get the chance. Take your time, and have a computer nearby, or manual with pictures, and you'll see it's so simple a caveman can do it.

Full auto? How are you looking to convert it a LL or DIAS?

I am not sure what you are asking but,

The upper built for full auto has nothing to do with the action, it is perfectly legal and built to superior strength for the same money:)

Edited by willis68
I am buying a LMT : CQB MRP Piston Top End, 12” , Full Auto, after I get my stamp

The way that was worded I took it as you were waiting on the stamp to come back for a DIAS(Drop In Auto Sear) or a LL(Lightning link).

And there is nothing illegal about FA AR15 as long as you pay the tax like you will be for the SBR. I just thought you were saying it will be full auto and was wondering if you had bought a DIAS, or a LL for it. Sorry for any confusion

The way that was worded I took it as you were waiting on the stamp to come back for a DIAS(Drop In Auto Sear) or a LL(Lightning link).

And there is nothing illegal about FA AR15 as long as you pay the tax like you will be for the SBR. I just thought you were saying it will be full auto and was wondering if you had bought a DIAS, or a LL for it. Sorry for any confusion

No problem, believe me if there was a way I could afford both the cost and legalities of it I would most definitely be building it fully auto, the stamp I will be getting will just be for the SBR and perhaps another one for a can later :hyper:

No problem, believe me if there was a way I could afford both the cost and legalities of it I would most definitely be building it fully auto, the stamp I will be getting will just be for the SBR and perhaps another one for a can later :hyper:

Nice well good luck on the build sounds like it is gonna be one bad AR.

• 1 year later...

I built this rifle over a year ago and finally got some good range time with it in my Back yard, man do I love it!!!! I still need to buy my Eotech and Surefire Vertical grip light for her, but I could not be happier!

IMG_2250.jpg

Love that Upper, did you paint in the lettering on your lower? I'm thinking about doing that on my current build

Thanks,

The Noveske upper is freaking awesome!! this rifle came out much better than I had hoped,yes I used model paint to fill in the lower, surprisingly it holds up very well

Specifications:

14.5" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm

--Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining,

(appx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)

--Extended Feed Ramps

--Mil Spec Phosphate finish

--Same weight as M4 barrel, 1 lb, 9 oz, but improved contour for maximum

rigidity, no M203 notch

--MP HP tested with certification

--Carbine length gas system

--Vortex Flash suppressor permanently installed for non-NFA use..

--Shot peened and MP tested bolt

--Properly staked carrier key

--Auto carrier

--Mil-Spec receiver extension, staked

--H Buffer

--Vltor Carbine buttstock

--Tango Down pistol grip

--Noveske QD End Plate

--One 30 rd mag included

Low-Profile Configuration

--9" free floated handguard w/ 1913 rails

--Low-profile gas block pinned to barrel

--Flip-up front and rear sights

--6 lbs 12 oz

Edited by willis68

What you need is my Surefire IR laser that I've got sitting around. It's got a nice picatinny rail mount and a pressure switch. I'll even throw in a Tangodown dark earth foregrip or a KA black foregrip.

The rifle looks good though, I need to get out and shoot mine it's only been about 4 months since I shot it last.

What you need is my Surefire IR laser that I've got sitting around. It's got a nice picatinny rail mount and a pressure switch. I'll even throw in a Tangodown dark earth foregrip or a KA black foregrip.

The rifle looks good though, I need to get out and shoot mine it's only been about 4 months since I shot it last.

Funny you should mention that, I am putting one of these on her in Desert Tan

M900V LED Vertical Foregrip - M900V available from SureFire

And this Eotech Product: EXPS3-2 TAN | L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems

Then it will be complete!!

I was talking about this little guy: Surefire L75 Infrared Laser Sight

And you will have to let me know how you like the single 123 battery, I'm old school I guess, all my EOTechs still run on AA's.

Yes all of my Eotechs that I previously owned used the AA Batteries, I really like the new compact sized Eotechs and I always have a bunch of 123 batteries on hand as I am a surefire addict

I've narrowed down my Surefire stock to a X300 and now the L75. Dad ended up with 2 my my Millennium weaponlights and I've sold 2 of them and I've lost 3 of the Z2 lights. I've used the M910 series before, just seemed kind of bulky and I had to go back to a KA foregrip, now a Magpul AFG, and a X300 or M3X.