Grip Extenders Yay or Nay?

Guest Packaged Chaos

Guest Packaged Chaos

Looking for a CCW gun in 9mm that I could also shoot IDPA with. Alot of people recommend the G-19 and the M&P 9. If you bought a G-26 or an M&P 9c could you use the grip extenders on a full size mag and get the same feeling as the bigger pistol? Has anyone tried this? I was just afraid I might buy a mid-full size gun and think it was too big for carry and wish I had went with the sub/compact size. Opinions? Then again I didn't want to buy a small gun to realize the extenders are a bad idea and wish I had bought the bigger gun.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both XD 9 Subcompact and XD 9 Service.

The 16 round mags from the service fit the subbie and with the "x tension" (plastic insert) the two guns feel pretty much the same in the hand.

I don't shoot IDPA, but would imagine the shorter barrel of the various subcompact models would be more of a factor than the grip arrangement, meaning accuracy wise.

- OS

I own both a G19 and a G26.

Had the grip extensions for using the G19 mags in the G26.....got rid of 'em. They served no real purpose except using a hi-cap mag at the range. If you're going to carry a G26 with the mag extensions, you might as well carry a G19 and get the extra inch on the barrel for accuracy. Besides with a 15rnd G19 mag in a G26, it makes it bottom heavy and can affect accuracy in a SHTF situation.....

Just go with the G19 and call it a day. The G19 is one of the best ballanced handguns out there and is very easy to carry and maintain. And the rumors about shooting your butt off while reholstering....well, guess that depends on how ignorant one can be while trying to reholster. Usually there isn't a time restraint on reholstering and there's no need to hurry and get your weapon holstered either....:)

Of course, a compact XD-9 "service" is just as good as a Glock 19. Either firearm will work perfectly fine......just go with the compact vs. the sub-compact since you want to shoot IDPA

• Administrator

The problem with sub-compact guns like the XD "SC", the M&P C, the Glock 26/27 is not the fact that the grips cannot be extended. They can, as you have noticed. The problem is that you will eventually and inevitably pinch the living @#*! out of your hand when you do a mag change under pressure because of the small grip.

It isn't pleasant.

On the G-27 the pearce pinky entender is nice(doesn't really add to the weight or size very much) and gives you a little extra stability. But the thing that really makes a difference is the Pachmayer grip sleeve. It makes all the difference in the world because the small Glocks are slick as owl S**t. I was afraid the damned thing was gonna fly out of my hand until I added the grip.

As far as weight, the baby glocks are 26.1oz vs 31.9oz, for the full size Glock, fully loaded (almost half a pound). I'm a smallish guy(160#'s) and half a pound makes a huge difference to me tugging on my belt.

One added thing, I was shooting like crap with my G-27 (was hitting the target but my groups were all over the place) until Sunday. I went to the G&L meet and shoot and after watching and asking a lot of questions of the other guys, I was shooting pretty damned good by the end of the evening(this is my first Glock). Thanks guys.

P.S. If you're around me and don't want me to know any of your secrets, be quiet because I'm an information sponge.

Looking for a CCW gun in 9mm that I could also shoot IDPA with. Alot of people recommend the G-19 and the M&P 9. If you bought a G-26 or an M&P 9c could you use the grip extenders on a full size mag and get the same feeling as the bigger pistol? Has anyone tried this? I was just afraid I might buy a mid-full size gun and think it was too big for carry and wish I had went with the sub/compact size. Opinions? Then again I didn't want to buy a small gun to realize the extenders are a bad idea and wish I had bought the bigger gun.

Ive got a glock 33 that ive used with both the pierce grip extender and the full size mag with a spacer. They work ok; but are a detriment to concealed carry. I use the standard short mags (the glock 33 and the 26 are the same frame size; just different calibers). This little gun is carried daily in an Allen Miller pocket kydex holster. It carrys easily and will disappear in the front or hip pocket of my cargo pants, dungarees, or overalls with no mag extension. My problem with this little gun has been mentioned by others; it is the problem of being slick. I added a set of sand textured decal grips. They cost about $10 and work great. They stop the slippery grip problem. I've got big hands and have to hold this little rocket with my second and third fingers only. I just curl my pinky finger under the magazine. The hold works well and the pistol is super accurate at any range.

In the interest of complete disclosure, so to speak, i am an oldtime n frame smith, ruger single action, and 1911 guy; this is my first glock. I never thought i would own one of them. I needed a gun for concealed carry and reasoned that if (God forbid) i had to shoot someone; i wouldn't have to put one of my much loved "children" in the hands of the unworthy in the evidence room for the next twenty five years. I reasoned that a polymer and steel contraption like a glock would be much easier to part with. After all, i reasoned, "they aint real guns." The fact is that that little glock is a "real gun" and a great shooter; as accurate as any handgun i have ever used (and ive burned lots of powder over the last 30 or so years). All for about $500. They are truly a great handgun. Dont be afraid to buy a subcompact to carry or shoot with. They are a great thing.

The moral of all this rambling:

Get that glock 26, use the standard mags, put some sort of grip enhancer on it (decal grips, bands, or skate board tape), and shoot it as much and everywhere you can. You will be truly amazed at how great they really are.

Hope this helps,

LEROY

Got a G26. Have Pierce extensions on a couple of mags. I would not shoot IDPA with it regardless. I'd take my std size S&W M&P9.

As accurate as any of the sub-Glocks/XD's can be, you have better control and stability with a compact. IF you're going to shoot IDPA, you'd be a fool to get something smaller and more sub-compact. Of course it could be done and I'm sure it has been done by someone, but your score will be better with a gun that fully fits in your hand. ;)

I got Pearce pinky extenders on my Glock 30. I love the feel of them. They look like the factory grip. I haven't pinched myself yet...

The "pinch" is from quick reloading of full sized mags into the sub-compact models, not from using pinkie extensions on short mags.

- OS

Got a G26. Have Pierce extensions on a couple of mags. I would not shoot IDPA with it regardless. I'd take my std size S&W M&P9.

Discussion is not about pinkie extensions, but rather, using full sized mags in sub-compact models that allow that, like Glock 26, XD SC,etc.

- OS

Guest Packaged Chaos

I guess what I was referring to would be called sleeves for the magazines. I'm not doing the IDPA to win, but to get better with whatever I decide to carry. It seems more practical than going to the range (once you have developed marksmanship which I'm still working on) and it's pretty fun.

I guess what I was referring to would be called sleeves for the magazines. I'm not doing the IDPA to win, but to get better with whatever I decide to carry. It seems more practical than going to the range (once you have developed marksmanship which I'm still working on) and it's pretty fun.

They are slick; but you can hold on to them. They need some sort of decal or skate board tape to add texture to them.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

I guess what I was referring to would be called sleeves for the magazines....

Yeah, XD ones are called "Xtensions". They go onto the longer mags to make grip a unified solid shape on the sub compacts; same one fits the 9mm and .40 models, and a different one for .45 models.

Long mag with "xtension" on bottom.

Mag%20wsleeveblack1.jpg

Long mag with xtension on a sub compact:

SA_XD_3inch_Sub_Compact_A.jpg

The "pinch" is from quick reloading of full sized mags into the sub-compact models, not from using pinkie extensions on short mags.

- OS

The pinch is from using the mags that come with the sub compact gun.With the longer mags from a bigger gun you have plenty of room between the basepad and the magwell.Edit I was referring to Glocks,I see XDs have a sleeve for longer mags.

Edited by Grout
The pinch is from using the mags that come with the sub compact gun.With the longer mags from a bigger gun you have plenty of room between tthe basepad and the magwell.Edit I was referring to Glocks,I see XDs have a sleeve for longer mags.

Gotcha, thanks.

- OS