Knoxville Handguns in Parks Workshop NOW

For various reasons, I didn't go; and yeah, I feel the guilt.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure ole Oh Shoot wouldn't couldn't swing it one way or the other.

Anyway, the "workshop" City Council session is happening now...

it's live on Knoxville Community TV starting right now. Channel 12 on Comcast.

- OS

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a mess.

Of course, it looks like with all the complications of any kind of compromise, and signage, and greenway easements through private property - seems to me that we won't be carrying in parks in Knoxville.

Hopefully, this video will be posted on City Council site in next day or so. I took a lot of notes during it, so if it isn't posted, I'll maybe make a stab at synopsis in a day or two.

But if I had to bet the farm: either city ordinance will stand or will be repealed with most everything prohibited under state law with signage.

Between the two, the former is probably better. At least it's just a CIVIL fine of $50 worst case, and not a CRIMINAL Class A misdemeanor.

Incidentally, only Joe Bailey is on record as favoring striking the city ordinance and allowing carry in ALL parks.

Sounds like a good mayor in the making to me.

- OS

I just caught the last 1-hour of the discussion, and I think the best we'll get is some type of compromise plan, opting out of some parks but not others. In truth, they'll most likely let the current ordinance prohibiting guns in city parks stand.

Guest Jackleg

I was there. Gave my 2 cents. It went a lot better than the hoax that happened in Oak Ridge.

IMO The council members are now fully aware of what they are deciding upon, so we can be fully aware of who we will vote for next election once they make their choices. I'll be watching closely. Might even get a bumper sticker or two.

I thought Mr. Hall was the big proponent of gun rights, but it looks like Mr. Bailey stole his thunder tonight!

Jackleg

Hey guys, I was there tonight at the meeting and also spoke. However, after the meeting there were some of us who were talking with Stacy Campfield about the signage issue that was brought. After reading the new law, it looks like the City of Knoxville would still have to post the signs with wording from 39-17-1311©(1). Basically, the law says that if city elects to prohibit carry, they must post. It doesn't say when they have to elect to prohibit (which in this case matters), so the grandfathered law would force them to post. Although, the sign would not be correct in what the crime would be.

I really only have one word that accurately describes this issue, "messy."

Matthew

My favorite question came from Bob Booker to the Vice mayor. It went something like this. "Do we have to listen to everyone that wants to speak?"

Glenn

NO, only listen to those you think make sense and spin your argument. why pay attention to the people? our opinions don't count anyway, just ask those in Washington!!!

My favorite question came from Bob Booker to the Vice mayor. It went something like this. "Do we have to listen to everyone that wants to speak?"

Glenn

He is totally "anti-gun", period. Even though probably half the crime in Knoxville happens in his district (the 6th).

If the issue had been something he supports, he probably would have been out on the street looking for more people to speak to support it.

- OS