Motorcycle

Guest Rugerman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good suggestions there. Buying a beginner bike get something cheap that you won't mind so much if you happen to lay it down. Also one that won't be expensive to fix if you lay it down. All that pretty plastic on the outside ain't cheap. Take the MSF course and after 6months-1year of riding start looking for something more fun. Even then I still wouldn't recommend a liter bike as far as sportbikes go. Just as an example my bike with me on it weighs about 620lbs. On Cool Springs dyno it put down 152HP to the wheel. That's more power than the 2000 Nissan Sentra SE commuter I drive puts out at the crank and pushing about 1/5th the weight. There are few vehicles out there with a better power to weight ratio than a 1000cc+ sportbike. Things like F1 cars and the space shuttle.

I second this, if you look you can find a nice used cheap bike to learn to ride on and when you get ready to sell it you can get most if not all of your money back on it. I bought my wife wife a 06 GZ250 for $2,200 she rode it for 6 months and we were able to sell it for what we paid for it. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck on what ever you decide.

After not riding for 18 years, I got the bug to get back on them a year and a half ago when gas was hitting the 4.00 mark. I got a Suzuki GS500F as was mentioned a few pages ago. I like the response of the sportbike layout and this one while fast enough, is not a rocket like the Gixxers or Ninja's. It hauls my 6'1 270 around well enough (it may have hit 110 on a test surface somewhere....shhh). They look good, get great mileage (62mpg has been my best) and the bonus...insurance is nothing near what those extra letters will throw on you. I have a super clear record, no accidents or tickets and my yearly payment through Progressive was $226.00. They mentioned that if it had been a GSXR it would have been much more, at least double if not more.

Yeah I own one so I'm biased.

I bought the SV650 with the intent of trading up to a liter sport bike in a year or two.

It has been over 4 years and I still own it and will keep it till it burns out or gets wrecked. Lot of fun to ride, nimble as a cat and incredibly modifiable.

I am a mod on forum.svrider.com

You may want to spend some time there and read up why the bike is developing a cult status.

I bought the SV650 with the intent of trading up to a liter sport bike in a year or two.

It has been over 4 years and I still own it and will keep it till it burns out or gets wrecked. Lot of fun to ride, nimble as a cat and incredibly modifiable.

I am a mod on forum.svrider.com

You may want to spend some time there and read up why the bike is developing a cult status.

+1 on the SV. ANY generation.

I cut my teeth on a Ninja 250R and really loved that bike. I sold it and bought a 2002 SV650, and found out what love really was :cool:

Not a bad bike at all. Kind of a multi-purpose ride. Nimble handling, and though not quite cruiser comfortable, more upright and foot forward than most true sport bikes.

Smooth power, and snappy enough that you won't quickly outgrow it, if at all. Nice choice if it's comfortable under you.

There is a Kawasaki ZR-7 that I really like. What do you all think of this bike?

THESE ARE A GOOD BIKE, BUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A NAKED CROTCH ROCKET MY SUGGESTION IS A MONSTER DUCATI 750:D, AWESOME BIKE WITH PLENTY OF POWER. THE ZR-7 DONT HANDLE LIKE THEY SAY THEY DO, BUT THEN AGAIN NO KAWASAKI DOES. THIS IS MY OPINION.

Cruisers I'd say the lightest > 600cc, < 1200cc and avoid 4 speed transmissions.

'tweeners/Dual Sports: SV650, FZ6, V-Strom 650, KLR-650, Versys, DRZ-400, DR650

Sportbikes: Ninja 500, SV650, SV650S, YZF600R, VFR, Daytona 600, XB9

You really need to stop by a few dealerships that do consignment sales so you can put butt to seat. That is really the final arbiter.

Hey, a VFR is a 750F. Had one lol

THESE ARE A GOOD BIKE, BUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A NAKED CROTCH ROCKET MY SUGGESTION IS A MONSTER DUCATI 750:D, AWESOME BIKE WITH PLENTY OF POWER. THE ZR-7 DONT HANDLE LIKE THEY SAY THEY DO, BUT THEN AGAIN NO KAWASAKI DOES. THIS IS MY OPINION.

From his stated budget, even used the Monster is probably out of the question.

Can't tell you what to do, but whatever you do, DON'T get a Suzuki Hyabusa for your first bike if you're going the sport route. A buddy of mine has one and I rode it the other day. OHHHHHHHHH LORD! Doin' a buck 30 on the highway just out of town before I knew it. Never been on anything with that much power.

As far as bike size goes, I'm 5'10" and about 220. I ride a Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom (V twin). Fits pretty well. Does all I need. If I can sell it though, I'm moving up. Something like a Road Glide for touring around. If you're going the sport route with the inline fours, something over 1000 cc will probably be a little much to start out on.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
Hey, a VFR is a 750F. Had one lol

Great bikes! I have a VFR750FR and a VF500F(restoration project)

I left it as just VFR because the 500cc, 700cc, 750cc, and 800cc versions are all great bikes and will run forever. A perfect 'tweener between a standard and full on race replica.

I'm partial to the 4th gen bikes (1994-1997, carbs, gear driven cams, standard brakes) because they are the most sport oriented of the single side swingarm bikes. The VFR800FI's (1998-2001, fuel injected, gear driven cams, linked brakes) are probably the best all around, but they are still a bit pricey. I'd personally stay away from the 2002 and up bikes(Fuel injected, chain driven cams with VTEC, linked brakes) because the valves will cost you a fortune to get serviced.

Great bikes! I have a VFR750FR and a VF500F(restoration project)

I left it as just VFR because the 500cc, 700cc, 750cc, and 800cc versions are all great bikes and will run forever. A perfect 'tweener between a standard and full on race replica.

I'm partial to the 4th gen bikes (1994-1997, carbs, gear driven cams, standard brakes) because they are the most sport oriented of the single side swingarm bikes. The VFR800FI's (1998-2001, fuel injected, gear driven cams, linked brakes) are probably the best all around, but they are still a bit pricey. I'd personally stay away from the 2002 and up bikes(Fuel injected, chain driven cams with VTEC, linked brakes) because the valves will cost you a fortune to get serviced.

On a side note: Pics of the VF500F. I had an 86 as my first bike in 89. I'd love to do a resto project on one but you never see them around much.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon
On a side note: Pics of the VF500F. I had an 86 as my first bike in 89. I'd love to do a resto project on one but you never see them around much.

No pics yet. It is a basket case, literally. An '85 theft recovery. Brush painted dark green, many missing parts, but the frame is straight and the title is clean, which is as good of a place as any to start I guess.

No pics yet. It is a basket case, literally. An '85 theft recovery. Brush painted dark green, many missing parts, but the frame is straight and the title is clean, which is as good of a place as any to start I guess.

As few as you see I'm starting to think they are pretty rare which of course makes me wish I had kept the one I had. I think most people opted for the 750's instead so there weren't many 500's made, or at least imported to the US. Have fun with the resto and post up some progress pics when you can.

Guest Rugerman

Picked up my first motorcycle tonight, a Suzuki Marauder 800. My apologies for the bad cell phone pics.

Here it is at the consignment shop.

10319_134379872963_512112963_240881.jpg

And my friend riding it home for me.

10319_134380092963_512112963_240881.jpg