Owl Hollow / I Want to Get Better

StPatrick

I'm a recent first (and now second!) handgun owner. From the very start, I could hit a paper plate at 10 yds., and got a little better with practice. I've reached a point where I'm not getting better, and I'm not satisfied with where I'm at. I'm hitting the dartboard, but if this were a game of Cricket, I'd be buying a lot of beers for my opponents.

Is there anybody out there who is willing to take the time to help me get started at "Owl Hollow" (don't know what they call it these days), and maybe tell me what I can improve in my shooting? I'd like to get away from the state-run range in Antioch, and I'd REALLY like to fix my bad habits. If I keep practicing the way I have been, I'll only be ingraining them further.

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I'll meet up with you out there one day. I live in Franklin as well. I'm not a professional or anything, but I'll be glad to share some insite with another gun enthusiast.

We're having a TGO meet and shoot down there in a couple weeks, that'd be a good time to go and meet some new people. Unless you're wanting to get down there sooner...

I wouldn't be of any help because I'm not very good either. But if you can ever catch Charlie (owner of Owl Hollow), he's an amazing teacher.

Without me even asking, he spent quite a while helping my daughter become a much better shot. He really knows his stuff.

I'm sure we have some members who'd be willing to help you out. They'll be along shortly.

Guest jjerik1202

im an instructor with frankin gun shop and we teach our permit classes on either sunday or monday and we shoot down at charlies range, if you get down that way on the weekend you can pm me and see if we got a class goin on. but id be more than happy to help you out after we get done with our class usually around 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon. my names Dan btw, we have a class goin on this sunday the 13th

Edited by jjerik1202
forgot to add something
Guest TurboniumOxide

I wish you were local to Chattanooga. I suggest more dry firing, maybe a laser on your pistol while dry firing. Dry firing is cheap and you can do it while watching msnbc. A laser helped me the most. Keep the dot steady on the target through the entire trigger squeeze until hammer down. The above graphic is right on.

Not that we'll solve your problems through the computer, but I had a few questions.

1. What model handguns and what caliber(s) are you shooting? While you can learn to shoot any gun accurately, depending on what you're shooting, this may not be working in your favor.
  2. IMHO proper trigger control is the key to being accurate. There are some good articles out there to give you some pointers to give you a good foundation.
  3. Do you do any dry fire practice? (Just don't dry fire a .22) This will help you with smoothing out your finger pull and gun's action at the same time.

Edit: Dang, you guys are all over this one. I must type too slow. Hat was the only one that had replied when I started. LOL

Edited by Trekbike
Not that we'll solve your problems through the computer, but I had a few questions.
  1. What model handguns and what caliber(s) are you shooting? While you can learn to shoot any gun accurately, depending on what you're shooting, this may not be working in your favor.
  2. IMHO proper trigger control is the key to being accurate. There are some good articles out there to give you some pointers to give you a good foundation.
  3. Do you do any dry fire practice? (Just don't dry fire a .22) This will help you with smoothing out your finger pull and gun's action at the same time.

Edit: Dang, you guys are all over this one. I must type too slow.

1. I have a Springfield XDm in 9mm, and just acquired a Sig P239, also in 9mm.

2. My trigger control can certainly be improved. At the moment, I'd say that my most pressing need relative to that is getting my index finger to act independently of the rest of my right hand.

3. I do dry fire often, because it's really entertaining. Unfortunately, the control I see in my living room isn't making it to the range.

Thanks for all the replies, and keep them coming!

3. I do dry fire often, because it's really entertaining. Unfortunately, the control I see in my living room isn't making it to the range.

It's a lot different when the gun is loaded and heavier than dry firing at home. I'm steady as a rock practicing, but when that thing is loaded and a bunch of other people are shooting things change.

My advice, which I never seem to follow, is to be relaxed while shooting. That Wheel of Destiny target is all about what happens when not relaxed. Relax your grip, trigger finger, etc. The gun will not jump out of your hand and scores will improve.

You have good taste in guns, brother.

Thanks for the compliment.

My other hobbies include golf and guitars. Those have both taught me not to buy anything that you'll be able to outperform, or you'll end up trading up quickly. I chose my guns based on 2 factors: How do they feel in my hand, and quality - reputation, reliability, reviews from "regular" people on the boards, etc. I'll probably end up with more, but it will be my decision as an enthusiast - I doubt that either one will ever force me to choose another because it can't do the job. There's definitely a 1911 in my future, but I intend to "earn" it through range time and practice.

Guest TurboniumOxide

Garufa has a good point. I do dry fire with a loaded magazine but you don't have a hammer to cock. Also, when you are at the range relax your hand (not so much that you drop it) and let the gun move in your hand after the round goes off. This gets your mind off the ignition snap and onto reacquiring the target. Relax, it is supposed to be fun. No pressure to perform.

Case in point:

I recently just picked up my kimber at the 50 yard range where I was sighting in my AR and decided to just fire off my last three rounds of 45 at the rifle target. I hit the bullseye on the second round. No pressure, just goofing off, completely relaxed.

There is a lesson there.

(Edit: I play guitar too. I have an 84 American Made Strat with factory floyd rose, and a custom shop Gibson Black Beauty. I have a marshall half stack and rattle the neighbors windows on occasion.)

Edited by TurboniumOxide
(Edit: I play guitar too. I have an 84 American Made Strat with factory floyd rose, and a custom shop Gibson Black Beauty. I have a marshall half stack and rattle the neighbors windows on occasion.)

Nice gear! I have a 79 hardtail strat, a 93 SG ltd. edition (made of leftover Korina from the original batch of Flying V guitars), and a 94 Martin D-1, made nice and loud by a Boogie DC-5. Unfortunately, I live in a townhome, so window-rattling is kept to a minimum. Very jealous of the Black Beauty - those are incredible.

:drool:

might want to try this; it seemed to help me a lot

go buy a "fake round" (not sure of the technical name but they are avalible at most shooting stores.) Mix 2 or 3 of these guys in your magazine while you are at the range. It WILL expose any issues you have. If you are pushing/pulling/etc you will be able to tell because you will still be anticipating the recoil.

Guest TurboniumOxide

My wife bought the black beauty for me, before she was my wife. "Just Listen to that SUSTAIN!" as Nigel says. Nice collection you have there, too. In shooting as in guitaring you must be fearless.

A lot of good tips on here. The target is a great tool, as stated. Also remember to practice your draw and sidestep. It will help you learn to quickly acquire a good site picture and fire accurately. (Thanks to Todd and Dustin at CIS). P.S. I have the XDm 40. Great shooting gun. If we ever meet at the range maybe we could swap for a few rounds for comparison. Also have an XD9SC.

The only thing I can add is this-

Once you have gotten any immediate instructions out of the way, THAT is when it is time to try being one with the target- mentally tune out as best you can any outside noise.

You need to turn on your"ignore" switch.

You DO have an "ignore' switch,don't you?

I do,just ask my wife!:screwy:

Unles there is some emergency around you,just tune all that other stuff out and think only about you,your target and your sight picture before,during and after your shot.

This works for me.

IHTH.