642 or LCR?

Billco

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally would go with a 642. Reasons are: S&W's Customer Service & warranty, plus the guns been around a long time, and is a solid gun.

The Ruger DOES have a better trigger pull, but the Smith can be made to have the same as or better than the Ruger. The Ruger hasnt been out long, and I'm still waiting for the recall announcement :P. Not to mention Ruger's CS kinda sucks.

I looked at both a few months back.

I thought about the rivets that attach the polymer to the metal on the LCR. They will take a beating and if you keep it for 5-10 years will they be tight.

I think the S&W will out last the LCR just because of the rivets. But thats my opinion.:D

But I ended up with a 442 and love it for a pocket gun.

To-may-to

To-mah-to

Aside from the emotional differences tied to brand...they are almost the same. Ruger does have a better trigger pull and no visible Hillary hole (they hid it)

S&W has tried and true reputation and is all aluminum vs. polymer.

Go to a shop and try them out...you will have to decide what is best for yourself.

Me...I own a 442 (no-IL) and trust my life with it despite having some very strong ties with a lot of "Ruger" people.

LCR

I love mine...zero problems so far. it is cheaper than the smith...

trigger is better than a smith. yes, you could get a trigger job, but then you're spending even more $$.

as far as it not lasting a long time...only time will tell. but honestly, how much are you gonna shoot a .38+P that weighs less than a can of beer? it's not exactly an "all day" gun...

as stated, I'm really happy with my LCR, but honestly I don't think either gun is a bad choice...

My wife has a 642, I have an LCR (Thanks Goodlettsville Gun Shop!). Out of the box trigger is better on the LCR. The differences in size and weight are not enough to be noticeable.

The factory grip on the LCR seems to dampen the recoil pulse better.

All of our shooting has been done with standard 38 special ammo, no +p.

Considering the pain induced in firing 50 rounds or so from each revolver, I don't think I need to worry about wearing either of them out.

Handle both and choose the one that fits you best... Good Luck!

I can't say much about the LCR's but the Smith J frames have been around for a very long time because of their reliability and quality. I have a model 38 bodyguard and a 342ti,( both very similier to the 642) and could not be happier with the quality of either

Thanks for all the input guys. Pretty much decided that, while I do love new and innovative weapons, I think the old standard (642) is gonna be mine. I appreciate all the info and opinions.

Bill, I'll have to go rank and file in line behind the S&W 642 as well. I've owned its blued cousin, the 442, for about 13 years and have had no issues. I just trust the S&W product line overall. If and when you do get the 642, PM me your mailing address. I've got a PIF I think you'd make great use of. On me.