Question about Morals??

My hunting buddy and I have been discussing this for awhile. I am interested in yalls opinion. I know this will not apply everywhere but it does to middle Tennessee.

The problem: We are over populated with deer. TWRA gives us very liberal limits when it comes to does. Last time I figured it up it was well over 100 does you could take during the season. I can't begin to count the number of does I have let walk because I didn't want to fool with processing the deer myself or pay somebody else to do it. So here is the question:

Do you think is is ok to shoot a doe and only take the backstraps and tenderloins? In this scenario the rest of the deer would go to waste.

It is pretty easy to pull the skin back and get the backstraps out. What takes so much time is boning the rest of the meat out. It is very tedious to bone out the different cuts, remove all the connective tissue and silver skin etc...

So what do you all think? We need to reduce the number of does but should you or I kill more does if we are not going to use the whole deer?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

No way!! There are way to many people going hungry to just let the meat lay there and rot. Personally I take several does every year and donate them to the hunters for hunger program. I have always been taught not to waste any meat, so if you aren't going to take it all then don't shoot. In some western states it is actually illegal to do just what you described you must take every bit of the meat that you can.

Guest mustangdave
I think that PETA will have a :cool: fit, but the Turkey Vultures gotta eat too.

LMAO...turkey vultures gotta eat too...how about we shoot PETA...and relocate the does.:mad:

Tennessee has a "Wanton Waste" law, and requires animals to be removed. If you don't want to process the animal or pay someone else to process it, give it to someone who wants the meat and let them process it. I have found several deer in the past where the "back straps" were removed and the best parts of the deer were left to rot and I was FURIOUS! I'm not coming down on you or anything, but if you don't want it, don't shoot it. Let someone else shoot it that will appreciate the whole animal for what's worth and as God intended. De-boning deer and/or removing "silver skin" is not needed to enjoy a delicious meal of venison. I guarentee your processor don't do it. Just my opinion as you ask for my friend. I'll take all of them you don't want!

No way!! There are way to many people going hungry to just let the meat lay there and rot. Personally I take several does every year and donate them to the hunters for hunger program. I have always been taught not to waste any meat, so if you aren't going to take it all then don't shoot. In some western states it is actually illegal to do just what you described you must take every bit of the meat that you can.

Sorry but you did ask for my opinion, If you are gonna harvest a doe, then take what you want of it and pass the rest on to the needy. I'm sure there are people who would be willing to finish butchering out a carcass for the meat...if you were in my part of town I would gladly do it..granted the backstrap and tenderloins are the best but that leaves a lot of protein that could be put to a good purpose

I have always been taught not to waste any meat, so if you aren't going to take it all then don't shoot.

That is the way I was raised also. Don't shoot something if you are not going to use it. I have been tempted but have never done it. I assumed most everybody would have this opinion but still wanted to hear what others had to say.

P.S. I don't hunt because I can't stand deer meat. I do think the population should be kept in check since I see deer splattered all over the roadways all over this area and Kentucky, and the vehicle hitting one could be mine in the future. In seriousness, I think the meat should feed the hungry who want it rather than let it rot.

The 1.25 pints of Cherokee blood in me would have murderous thoughts about such behavior. The other 8.75 pints of mutt blood in me would just hang my head in shame.

Guest DefensiveGuy

Not hunting anymore but i always had the whole thing processed. Didn't do myself. The last one i had them mix with beef, grind up and froze it all. After all you I was going to buy some ground beef anyway. With the 50/50 mix i could scarcely tell the difference.

If i get back into, will do same. If i hunt animals and shoot them, then i eat them or i don't hunt. Same with fishing.

Otherwise just go to the Restaurant :cool:

Morally, I've got a problem with that. But with the population being what it is we've got to do something. I've got 3 or 4 people that want me to clean out their deer problem. I doubt I'll be able to cover it all just hunting centerfire. I might borrow a muzzleloader this year.

One option is to shoot em and donate, but they can't give venison to just anyone that comes along. Sometimes it stacks up, other times they need meat.

Hunters For The Hungry Tennessee Venison Donations Processors Butchers

Or what I do sometimes is target somebody that needs the meat and knows what to do with it. All they know is a meat processor calls them up and says they got venison for them. That way they don't "owe" you anything, which is a better way to work it, imo.

That would be just so wrong to cut out the prime and let the rest spoil. I wish there were enough deer around my area that I felt I could harvest a doe. Between the die off and or poachers we are way down in local deer population. A couple years back we had a dozen doe and several bucks that I would see. This year I see two regular does and three fawns visit my place. I see one small buck with a nice 8 point rack come in. So I really don't think I will take a deer this year, at least off my place. And oh I do like venison.

Wish we were a little closer, I would help you out with one of those 100 does you can kill.

oldogy

That would be just so wrong to cut out the prime and let the rest spoil. I wish there were enough deer around my area that I felt I could harvest a doe. Between the die off and or poachers we are way down in local deer population. A couple years back we had a dozen doe and several bucks that I would see. This year I see two regular does and three fawns visit my place. I see one small buck with a nice 8 point rack come in. So I really don't think I will take a deer this year, at least off my place. And oh I do like venison.

Wish we were a little closer, I would help you out with one of those 100 does you can kill.

oldogy

:cool:

Just herd some of those deer over here to the East. :mad:

I was raised you don't kill just to kill, you shoot it you eat it basically. Don't waste any of it.

I also think if that became common practice I think that it would hurt hunting and the image of hunters everywhere.

Guest Blueraider11

I am in Cane Ridge area, if you need any help harvesting, field dressing or processing deer let me and my son-in-law know. I am at your disposal. I am 58 and would donate some and eat a little. At least you do not have a feral hog problem yet. They have one in southern williamson Co. :D

what if you hit one with your car is that wrong to leave it there to spoil?

My rub would come with making a conscience decision to kill an animal and then being too lazy to ensure the meat was used for food.

I have let many does walk because I was too lazy THAT DAY! I try to take a fair number of does each year to fill my freezer. I won't shoot a small buck, period.

How easy would it be to post an ad on craigslist before hunting season and get a list of families that would like to have any deer that a lazy, but blood thirsty hunter killed. I don't mean this as a demeaning label. I always enjoy the rush of taking a deer, I rarely enjoy the work that follows. I do it because I could never leave one to rot. We eat ours, but I understand hunters that either don't like the taste or don't want the hassle of cleaning/paying. Keep hunting, kill only does, not the baby bucks, and pass the meat to someone that wants it.

Of the deer we put in the freezer last year, I have about 5 pounds of ground meat left. I need to use it soon so it doesn't get old with the thoughts of fresh tenderloin on the horizon.

Guest Muttling

Heck.....Kill the doe and bring it to me. I haven't been able to get into the woods in 2 years and all I care about is meat. I'll pay for the butchering and feast for months to come.

I'm gonna give my standard answer like I do when people have an "ethical" question....

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

These are almost always situations where the person KNOWS what the right thing to do it, but is just looking for validation or an out.

I have a couple of families here that I sometimes give deer to. It helps me with my freezer "stock rotation". Plus it helps feed them. With the economy the way it is, any help you (or any of us can give) to a family would be appreciated I'm sure.

oldogy

I feel for ya oldguy. The deer population in middle tn has gone crazy. I just check the twra regs and I was a little off on the number of anterless deer you can take. With a Sportsman license or a regular big game license and a type 94 permit, you can take 315 anterless deer in Unit L (middle tn).

I'm gonna give my standard answer like I do when people have an "ethical" question....

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

These are almost always situations where the person KNOWS what the right thing to do it, but is just looking for validation or an out.

ding, ding ding...We have a winner. Personally I think this response sums it best so far.

I take three or four freezer deer per year mostly does i dont waste anything but bones and hide, i also take two deer a piece for a couple of nearby families , and take the harvested meat to them, one of the families are a elderly couple and the other family doesnt have much so i just try to put meat in their freezer every winter for their kids. i am trying to teach my 7 year old son what hunting is all about and i would be ashamed to let him see me waste an animal. in my oppinion wasting any meat at all is just wrong and shouldnt be done if you are too lazy to harvest your kill then you should stay out of the woods. not being rude just giving my oppinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 22-rimfire

My general rule of thumb is IF you aren't going to use it, don't shoot it. There are needy families around, but I have found that those needy families don't want the whole deer... they want it cut up and ready for the freezer or already frozen. You shoot it, clean it, have it butchered or you butcher it yourself... then they want it. Hence they can shoot their own.

I don't hunt squirrels because I simply don't want to clean them and eat them.