you m1 guys

so I got the m1 out that my father in law gave to me and went outside with no intent to shoot it. I racked the bolt back. took out the magazine and was going to rack the bolt back to unload the chambered round.... nothing. it likes to get stuck alot apparently. guess i have to shoot it. pull trigger...nothing. finally got the bolt open, put the magazine back in (figured it might be a dud) and round after manually ejected round, no bang. figured i'd ask for some input before aimlessly taking things apart... firing pin? I don't know, but the pin isn't even making a scratch in the primer.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since he said magazine, I'm thinking Carbine.

If it isn't denting the primer, it is likely the firing pin. It might be broken or stuck.

As well, not extracting might mean an exceptionally dirty chamber, or need of a new extractor.

first off, yes its the carbine, dont know what i was thinking... wasnt stored chambered. father in law has never known it not to shoot. when i got it i took the reciever/ barrel out of the stock and cleaned what i could. if i can pull the bolt back it ejects just fine.

2 questions

Have you ever known it to fire?

Was it stored with a round in the chamber?

lottsa good info here.

Collecting and Shooting the U.S. M1 .30 Caliber Carbine - HISTORY

Thanks for the compliment Mark, what I know I learned from you.

If you look down the bolt is the firing pin visible at all? If not it may be broken.

If at all possible I would get with someone who has a working carbine. Stick their bolt in your rifle and see if it works.

Edited by Mike.357

Definitely agree on the bolt tool. I have one, and unless you have 3 hands, it is darn near impossible to disassemble the bolt without it. Great for refining your cussin' skills, though.

Also agree strongly with Mikes' suggestion - swap the bolt to another rifle to find out which assembly is causing problems.

Is this a USGI carbine?

Is the hammer falling when you pull the trigger?

Does is look like the bolt is completely closed?

Disassemble the thing and remove the bolt per the instructions on Mike.357's link. Since the firing pin is free-floating you should be to move the pin back and forth freely. Pin should stick out of bolt face when pushed from the back.

When reassembling make sure you grease (not oil) all the sliding parts.

no, yes, and yes. Unforntunately I don't think I could swap out any parts, its one of those evil 3rd Gen Universal carbines. I'll get it apart shortly and see what I can see as far as the firing pin goes.

Is this a USGI carbine?

Is the hammer falling when you pull the trigger?

Does is look like the bolt is completely closed?

Disassemble the thing and remove the bolt per the instructions on Mike.357's link. Since the firing pin is free-floating you should be to move the pin back and forth freely. Pin should stick out of bolt face when pushed from the back.

When reassembling make sure you grease (not oil) all the sliding parts.

okay, very interesting... if you'll notice in the picture the scope mount. it actually screws to the side of the reciever and fits down into the stock. two of the screws can be seen inside the chamber. The screw holes are quite worn and the screws when tightened enough protrude into the chamber a bit. I thought about this the first time I put it back together but it seemed to function fine. I just took it apart and decided to back those screws out a bit. I also actuated the firing pin with a small screwdriver so I could visually confirm it would come out of the bolt... it did. For some reason I just decided to put it back together without further dissassembly (i'm lazy). what do you know the bolt didn't stick at all and I worked it quite a bit and then... I shot it, outside and with intention of course. The screws didn't keep the bolt from coming forward all the way but may have prevented the bolt from rotating all the way... all I can figure.