Why do FFL's around Middle TN charge so much to do private transfers?

TMMT

Why do FFL's around Middle TN charge so much to do private transfers?

I've only had the chance to shop around the Middle Tn area, so this could be a Metro Area Anomaly but why are so many FFl's here charging 35$, $45 and even $55 for a basic transfer?

I'm from Georgia and $35 was considered high, a couple of FFL's I used charged $10 and $15 respectfully.

Man... :rolleyes:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Outpost Armory, Hero Gear, Guns & Leather all charge fair prices for their transfers and are actual gun shops. Belshire Hardware is... well... a hardware store. Fine for hammers and nails.

I prefer to help support the shops that support the TGO community.

Guest Bronker
Outpost Armory, Hero Gear, Guns & Leather...

Roger that. I've spent ridiculous money at each of those. I too try to buy from inside the 'loop' of support. Plus, they have the best deals going anyway. I'll also say that I have saved lots of money and headaches by being able to obtain information and knowledge from the participation of representatives of those respective companies, prior to the sale.

Win-win-win.

Guest HexHead
Outpost Armory, Hero Gear, Guns & Leather all charge fair prices for their transfers and are actual gun shops. Belshire Hardware is... well... a hardware store. Fine for hammers and nails.

Well, that's a different issue entirely. :D

But it wasn't that long ago (at least to us old guys) that hardware stores sold guns on a pretty regular basis. After all, many consider them "tools". ;)

Phi's a good guy and has the cheapest price in town on transfers and doesn't mind doing them. He can also pretty much get you whatever you want, again at some of the lowest prices around since he typically doesn't stock stuff. You just can't go in and fondle the merchandise and compare like you can at the store's you mentioned, and that's an important aspect as well.

From my last visit I don't think Specialty Arms wants to sell their own guns either. :D

It depends on who you talk to there & when. I've had a mixed bag of experiences. Mostly good, but on a couple of occasions around lunch time, it seemed like I had to really pry to get any info out of a guy at the counter. I felt like he thought I was an undercover cop trying to get him to sell me some weed or something. And this was when I was the only soul in the store.

I've only used Tennessee Police Supply for transfers. He was great to do business with and I'd use him again in a heartbeat.

Guest JHatmaker

I guess for me it all evens out. I'd rather buy my stuff from said stores on here and also use them for transfers. They may be higher than other places, but the amount I save over the long haul giving them my business on other things kinda evens it out.

And like someone else said, I value the extra knowledge/experience they offer when buying something, and don't mind paying a little more for that. Some folks just want the lowest price, period, and that's fine; but I like shootin' the :screwy: and learning new stuff.

Guest Todd@CIS

Unfortunately, TN sales tax hurts local gunstores.

Here in Rutherford Co. it's 9.75%. Tithing to the government for every purchase is crap.

I feel sorry for local gunshops who have to deal with this.

Guest ScottD
Last I checked they charged $65 for a transfer...has this changed?

Couldn't tell you on that, but I was referring more to the level of service and help they offer.

Couldn't tell you on that, but I was referring more to the level of service and help they offer.

Like he said, it seems hit or miss: however, that's the same everywhere I guess. I've had different experiences with Outpost, and that's why I look for Sherman when I go down there. The same with On Target too.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Guest Todd@CIS
Would you prefer a state income tax?

Obviously, of course not.

There are other states without an income tax that don't have TN's level of sales tax. I don't think it's an "either / or" proposition.

Not to "thread drift" too much, but I'd like to see tax reform get the attention that health care is getting.

Guest GunTroll

Herd a place up in Clarksville (think old family member;)) charges $150 to deter people from bothering them. I haven't see it for myself but thats what a guy told me when I transferred his gun for him. When I say I, I mean the shop I work at.

Actually I think were right in line with everyone else at $30 plus TICS, if not I'll sure match the price. That price was the total. It included transfer fee and the tics/tbi check, and we offer a stolen check prior to getting the gun if the seller will give us the serial number. No one else offers that as far as I know. Its kinda like insurance. We also supply you with our FFL or fax/email it at no charge to the shipper. We have 18 years experience with these sorts of things, none of our competition can say that. Im actually known to have the best prices in this industry, actually we guarantee it. There is something you can say for customer service, and handleing transactions in a fast and timely manner... thats something you cant put a price on.

Sometimes cheaper isn't better...

We'd be glad to earn any of your business if given the chance.

Obviously, of course not.

There are other states without an income tax that don't have TN's level of sales tax. I don't think it's an "either / or" proposition.

Not to "thread drift" too much, but I'd like to see tax reform get the attention that health care is getting.

Unfortunately, any talk of "tax-reform" will only lead to more tax dollars being demanded by either government or the non-contributors. The non-contributors are closing in on 50% of the working class and they will not vote for a reform plan that causes them to pay taxes. Once they hit 51%, look out . . .

Guest Todd@CIS

Yeah, makes me think of the famous JFK quote.

Unfortunately, too many people are asking what their government can do for them.

I also see it in my job...we actually had a person call the Police Dept (on 911) because they had a hornet's nest in their garage! Seriously, I see this kind of stuff ALL the time. I think most people would be shocked at the stupid s&^t we deal with.

Sad.

Guest Gun Geek

Hey at least some of them only charge for guns you purchased somewhere else. At least in my experience. I was shocked to see that one gun shop (to remain nameless) charges $50.00 + $10 TICS on in stock firearms. I can completely understand charging a fee for a gun that someone is having sent through the shop and you didnt make anything on it. You have to log it through your books etc etc. But on in stock guns, you already had to log it through your books so why are you charging. Reminds me of the "Dock fee" for cars, why pay that fee if the car is already sitting on the lot. Needless to say I wont be purchasing any more firearms there.