Disappointed in Lee equipment

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed in my loading equipment.

I bought a Lee Turret Press Kit. It seemed like a good deal, and at the time I found it to be highly recommended. Unfortunately, my experience has not been so fortunate. I've loaded under 1,000 rounds on the unit, and plan to make the 3rd service call to the factory on Monday.

I loaded on the unit for a bit, before discovering Issue #1: the turret ring didn't line up properly with the ram. I made a post covering that issue, and the resolution I received from Lee. Loosen mounting bolts, pry things to where they need to be, retighten bolts.

I had a few small issues afterwards, but the most irritating was with the included Lee Auto Disk powder thrower. This thing leaks. It seemed like I was winding up with almost as much powder on the loading bench as I was in the brass.

Tonight, I sat down to load a bit for my carbine. Long story short, the auto index mechanism failed tonight. The press works, but the turret has to be rotated by hand. I've been told of this happening before, due to part of the mechanism being made of plastic. However, I'm pretty unhappy that I've loaded under 1,000 rounds on this press, and plan to make the third service call on Monday. I think Lee will replace the plastic piece under warranty, but I'm disappointed that they need to.

I understand that Lee is a budget line, and I realize that things will wear out and break, but I've yet to load 1,000 rounds. I've yet to go through a whole box of primers, or even a pound of powder, but I'm on the third call for an issue with the equipment.

Overall, I think I just got a lemon of a press, or I expected too much for the price point. I hope so, anyway. I'd hate for the rest of the Lee press users out there to be dealing with the number of issues I have. Granted I'm only on service call 3, but there have been multiple minor annoyances that didn't warrant calling about, such as the turret moving inside the turret ring and changing the cartridge OAL, or the primer mechanism slinging itself out of the ram.

How are the other Lee turret presses holding up out there?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this. If you decide to get into another press and want to check out our Hornady Lock n Load AP, I'd be happy to show it to you. Its a solid piece of equipment. The press is selling at Midsoth SS in Clarksville for $368 and if you buy one before Christmas, Hornady will send you $300 worth of bullets - honey deal.

Hope you get a good reloading setup that works for you!

I've done just over 2k rounds on mine, but to be honest I've never used the auto index. I run it like a hybrid single stage / turrent and in this configuration its been rock solid.

Lee stuff is cheap and in most cases seems to be of excellent quality for the price they charge, but there will be minor issues (If your using lee carbide dies for .30 carbine you'll notice that the sizer undersizes the brass to the point a 110 grain fmj will bulge the brass). I also have had a lee 9mm sizer that was damaged when I bought it and likes to crush brass if you don't hand guide it into the die. The auto indexing is another issue I've read about, but haven't experienced.

Like most everything else in life:

Cheap, Fast and Reliable. PICK TWO.

Long story short, I'm happy with mine and think you will be too if you can get your press tuned in (or try to demand a new one from Lee).

I use Lee dies almost exclusively and am very happy with them. I had a Lee 1000 Progressive press for several years. I didn't load a lot on it because of the problems with the primer feed system. It was always sticking primers in sideways or not at all. I finally just started using it as a single stage with auto case feed for my 9mm. Worked well for that. I did sell it last summer to someone who just had to have it.

I'll continue to buy Lee dies, trimmers, etc, but not a progressive press. They just don't seem to get it when it comes to presses.

Guest Crunchman

I used a Lee Challenger single stage press for 13 years before the lever link broke. One call and I had a new link in 3 days. I had a Lee progressive press that never worked right (traded it for some dies and componets with a friend who used it as a parts supply for his). Looked at the Lee turrets, but went with a Lyman set. I still use Lee dies, cutters, etc., but I'll stick with Lyman presses from now on.

Guest smittyb
I've done just over 2k rounds on mine, but to be honest I've never used the auto index. I run it like a hybrid single stage / turrent and in this configuration its been rock solid.

Lee stuff is cheap and in most cases seems to be of excellent quality for the price they charge, but there will be minor issues (If your using lee carbide dies for .30 carbine you'll notice that the sizer undersizes the brass to the point a 110 grain fmj will bulge the brass). I also have had a lee 9mm sizer that was damaged when I bought it and likes to crush brass if you don't hand guide it into the die. The auto indexing is another issue I've read about, but haven't experienced.

Long story short, I'm happy with mine and think you will be too if you can get your press tuned in (or try to demand a new one from Lee).

I have used them like this as well, and worked great for me.

I have never had any luck with the auto disk, I really like the PerfectPowder measure though.

Sorry to hear this. If you decide to get into another press and want to check out our Hornady Lock n Load AP, I'd be happy to show it to you. Its a solid piece of equipment. The press is selling at Midsoth SS in Clarksville for $368 and if you buy one before Christmas, Hornady will send you $300 worth of bullets - honey deal.

Hope you get a good reloading setup that works for you!

I may take you up on that. I was leaning toward the Dillon 550, but the bullets make for a really good deal. Almost good enough to make me want to do that even if I did buy a Dillon.

I am using Lee .30 Carbine dies, but I haven't noticed the sizer under sizing the brass. Mine doesn't bulge with a 110 grain FMJ.

Like I said, I think I just got that one press out of a thousand, or however many, to have issues. Most of them I hear about are running fine.

He's already leaning that way and I'm pushing by offering to buy dies for it so I can come down and crank out pistol ammo on his unit instead of cranking on my single stage press! The Hornandy offer is nice, I took part in one of their buy the dies and get bullets deals when I got my .45 ACP dies. Totally up to 56 though. I'll still pump what I can out on the Lee Anniversary kit until it breaks.

Guest highvoltage

i have the turret press with over 1000 loads of 9mm and doing great. but i upgraded the powder dropper with the pro kit and no more powder loss. you must have got a lemon see if thay will send a new one mine is great. good luck

Guest Jeremey

Yep, the powder measure it came with sucks. It leaks everywhere. I upgraded to the pro version and leaks are pretty much gone.The auto indexing is easy to fix. You take the long screw out of the black plastic housing that is just under the case holder. You then dig through all the bags that came with the press. You should find a small black plastic square. replace it noting which way the lip faces (its either up or down, would have to take mine apart to see). Most people throw the extra indexing ratchet away not knowing what it is. I broke a couple of them, but I am pretty sure it was my fault. Besides the leaking measure and a couple of ratchets I havent had any problems from mine. I do plan on upgrading soon just to be able to load faster.

I feel.. that you get what you pay for.. it may not always be the case.. but most times, quanity spent returns quality recieved!

I agree. I bought the Lee because they seemed to be a good starter press, and of reasonable quality for the price. I'd say that most of them probably are. I think I just got one with issues. That said, I looked at a 550 in person yesterday, and I liked it. I'm ready to upgrade from the Lee, I just want to be sure that I've done enough research to get the right press for my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a lee claasic turret, never had an issue with it, it works great. Upgraded to the better powder measure, and am very happy. Also have an old redding turret press that does just fine too.

Guest mudduck

i have a lee pro 1000,i have had no problems with it,not even the cheap chain that everyone says breaks,i have about 2000 round through it with no problems,i do hand prime also.still a great press for the money, just my 2 cents