Obama Declares Swine Flue National Emergency

Guest SUNTZU

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just tired of the crisis mentality. Every time you turn on the TV the government is trying to get us all WEE WEE UP over something. :up:

I was surprised it was being called a national emergency at this point. Unless they know something we don't. :koolaid:;)

A few things:

• If this is such an emergancy why are the presidents own daughters not immunized?
  • If this H1N1 shot is so important why are more doctors and nurses refusing to get it? (my daughter is a nurse in a Dr's office and nobody there is getting it. I have personally asked 3 family doctors if they were getting it and all said no)
  • Why are hospitals that see flu patients reporting it as H1N1 to the CDC when it's not really H1N1?

Something is rotten here. You decide.

A few things:

• If this is such an emergancy why are the presidents own daughters not immunized?
  • If this H1N1 shot is so important why are more doctors and nurses refusing to get it? (my daughter is a nurse in a Dr's office and nobody there is getting it. I have personally asked 3 family doctors if they were getting it and all said no)
  • Why are hospitals that see flu patients reporting it as H1N1 to the CDC when it's not really H1N1?

Something is rotten here. You decide.

any proof to back any of that up?

any proof to back any of that up?

For the first one...this. First Daughters Not Vaccinated Against H1N1 Row 2, Seat 4 FOXNews.com Apparently the kids don't meet the risk factors. Not big news, though I figured they would get special status due to their dad being the POTUS, politics aside. But what do I know.

For the second one: My GF is a nurse and she doesn't know whether or not she will take the vaccine. She refuses to take the annual flu vaccine as well, but she has the immune system of a gengineered sci-fi soldier as she never gets sick and I'm stuck waiting to be buried when the donkey and cart come back around yelling Bring Out Yer Dead!

As for the last one, no freaking clue.

My personal rule of thumb is that I don't like to take any meds or vaccines until they have been on the market for some time. This one is no different for me. I'll just continue to wash my hands and do what I always do to avoid getting sick. What gets me are the pictures of people lining up for hours at clinics to get the vaccine - rubbing shoulders with hundreds of other people. Clinics and Dr. offices are a great place to catch the flu. I have no objection to a useful vaccine, but I don't want to be a guinea pig either. I'll stick it out for now.... :P

I don't subscribe to anything Farrakhan has to say, but I thought this story was interesting. :drama:

Louis Farrakhan: H1N1 Vaccine Developed to Kill People - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News - FOXNews.com

Louis Farrakhan: H1N1 Vaccine Developed to Kill People

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 foxnews_story.gif

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said the H1N1 flu vaccine was developed to kill people, UPI reported.

"The Earth can't take 6.5 billion people. We just can't feed that many. So what are you going to do? Kill as many as you can," Farrakhan reportedly said during an event in Memphis, Tenn. "We have to develop a science that kills them and makes it look as though they died from some disease."

The 76-year-old added that many wise people won't take the vaccine, according to UPI.

His comments were made during an event to observe the group's Holy Day of Atonement, and also marked the 14th anniversary of the Million Man March in Washington.

Thanks SUNTZU. For the third, As I said my daughter is a nurse conducting flu clinics and helping with patients. I had recently seen two different family Drs. I thought I had the flu and was tested for swine flu.. He couldn't tell what I had but he had to report it as h1n1. Daughter's office does the same. There was a caller on GB this morning that also ran into the same situation.

Doesn't it just seem like mass confusion and getting worse? Has the president or his administration calmed the fears of the people or just created more hysteria and panic? It's time this president answers questions and proves to me and millions of others he is more than just a "pretender to the throne"

Guest jackdm3

"A few things:

Something is rotten here. You decide. "

I've heard quite a lot of nurses call in to radio shows concerning the pig flu and many say they won't get the shot.

Ten or so years ago, I asked my family nurse how all of their workers didn't get sick year around from all the sicknesses people bring in. She said many nurses and doctors don't feel the need to do shots because the patients give them immunity.

They want to push an unproven vaccine on us, and I won't have it right now.

Strick, brother, don't buy into the hype man. I work in a hospital in one of the worst areas of town in Memphis. We saw an influx of patients for a little while when the news blew this crap out of proportion, but we aren't hardly seeing any H1N1 patients now and what's even more intriguing...no one is dying.

It's crap, it's BS, it's a gimmick to push health care. It is not anywhere near as bad as they are making it out to be.

Guest jackdm3
Thanks SUNTZU. For the third, As I said my daughter is a nurse conducting flu clinics and helping with patients. I had recently seen two different family Drs. I thought I had the flu and was tested for swine flu.. He couldn't tell what I had but he had to report it as h1n1. Daughter's office does the same. There was a caller on GB this morning that also ran into the same situation.

Doesn't it just seem like mass confusion and getting worse? Has the president or his administration calmed the fears of the people or just created more hysteria and panic? It's time this president answers questions and proves to me and millions of others he is more than just a "pretende to the throne"

This leads me to believe that if they are required to report all new cases that are unidentifiable as H1N1, Obama will try to take credit for his "flu scare." He'll try to say he was right and he gets a mulligan, of sorts.

I agree with Punisher and Batman, in that this seems to provoke a "need for somebody to do something about healthcare, like, quick!"

Edited by jackdm3
respect for our members
Strick, brother, don't buy into the hype man. I work in a hospital in one of the worst areas of town in Memphis. We saw an influx of patients for a little while when the news blew this crap out of proportion, but we aren't hardly seeing any H1N1 patients now and what's even more intriguing...no one is dying.

It's crap, it's BS, it's a gimmick to push health care. It is not anywhere near as bad as they are making it out to be.

Never said it was the worst thing since Oprah.

I'm just taking into consideration the history of Swine flu.

Also taking into consideration the lack of interest seen from people on the right when someone on the left says we have a problem.

For instance the economy. Everyone on the right said,"oh,we don;t have a problem.their just trying to scare us".

Sound familiar?

As far as medical personal not getting the vaccine.

I know one who is a paramedic who has gotten it,and know one nurse tech who is not,but is making her two kids get it.

Guest jackdm3

And both of my parental units are saying you've got to get both flu shots this year. I ask them if they've gotten theirs yet, "well not yet ..." Are they going to get it? " ... well we haven't decided yet ..." Some sort of parental guidance, huh?

Never said it was the worst thing since Oprah.

I'm just taking into consideration the history of Swine flu.

Also taking into consideration the lack of interest seen from people on the right when someone on the left says we have a problem.

For instance the economy. Everyone on the right said,"oh,we don;t have a problem.their just trying to scare us".

Sound familiar?

As far as medical personal not getting the vaccine.

I know one who is a paramedic who has gotten it,and know one nurse tech who is not,but is making her two kids get it.

Yes but you have to take into account what conditions were like in 1918. The regular flu laid waste to this country every year.

The cold, hard facts are that Swine Flu has not shown great resistance to Tamiflu and it has not shown to be any more deadly than the regular flu. It's simply a new strain. You catch it, you feel like crap, you build an immunity.

I think it's great that people are being more receptive to basic friggin hygiene, but it is not time for Dustin Hoffman in a moon suit.

Yes but you have to take into account what conditions were like in 1918. The regular flu laid waste to this country every year.

The cold, hard facts are that Swine Flu has not shown great resistance to Tamiflu and it has not shown to be any more deadly than the regular flu. It's simply a new strain. You catch it, you feel like crap, you build an immunity.

I think it's great that people are being more receptive to basic friggin hygiene, but it is not time for Dustin Hoffman in a moon suit.

You're right,conditions were allot different back then.

But I find it funny that so many here like to quote "those who forget history,will repeat it".

There was another little incident that occurred just a few years later where an estimated 6 million jews died over a six year period.

A fraction of how many died from Swine flu BTW.

I guess its ok to remember that part of history,and keep it from happening again,but Swine flu...pffft...

Look,I never said its worse the season flu,or that its not being overblown.

What I'm saying here is that it is a problem,and I do not see a problem with whats reported in the OP.

Its like I said,I could care less what its being call,and whos calling it that. Fact is,people are dieing from it at an alarming rate,and there is a vaccine for it that needs to be hurried along.

You're right,conditions were allot different back then.

But I find it funny that so many here like to quote "those who forget history,will repeat it".

There was another little incident that occurred just a few years later where an estimated 6 million jews died over a six year period.

A fraction of how many died from Swine flu BTW.

I guess its ok to remember that part of history,and keep it from happening again,but Swine flu...pffft...

But you can't just selectively remember history either, you have to remember it all. Like the 1979 swine flu "outbreak" that created a panic and led to a vaccine that was released without being fully tested by the FDA and drug companies(by order of the government) and killed more people than the flu did and also caused thousands and thousands of cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome.

As for the vaccine needing to be hurried along, it is already available and on the market.;) It's just in somewhat short supply. What has to be remembered is that so far the swine flu is no more virulent, or deadly, than the common seasonal flu. According to Dr. Marc Lipsitch, an expert in infectious diseases at Harvard University(from this Reuters article- Swine flu death rate similar to seasonal flu: expert | Health | Reuters ), the mortality rate for swine flu is between .007 and .045%. Hardly an "alarming rate". It's about the same as the seasonal flu, if not lower.

From a financial perspective; doctors, pharmacies, drug companies, etc...are making money at an extremely rapid rate which is helping to make up for last years poor flu season sales. I work in a pharmacy and, our Tamiflu just flew off the shelf in the first week. If I could only get a piece of the profit, I could buy all kinds of new guns.

Its like I said,I could care less what its being call,and whos calling it that. Fact is,people are dieing from it at an alarming rate,and there is a vaccine for it that needs to be hurried along.

Yep, there is a vaccine that was approved by the FDA. Unfortunately you may already be getting exactly what you are asking for and it may be the best you can have. Unless you know something that the drug companies don't?

Yeah,I'll agree that rushing any drug to market is a bad thing. But whats worse.Having a vaccine for a deadly virus,or a vaccine for a deadly virus they wont let you take?

With the history of Swine,there may not be enough time for the years of testing to be complete.

Furthermore,I've not been able to find any info on how long the vaccine has actually been around. It could be a few months,but it could also be a few years.

I was able to find clinical testing in children administered by NIAID in June though...and one would assume any drug would be around long before any people test are done,especially in kids. So I just dunno how long its actually been :clap:

1st reported/suspected case mid March.

1st death mid April.

Manufacturers asked to prepare May 24th.

At that point pretty DAMN close to June! So, if it takes roughly six months to incubate a flu vaccine the simple math bothers me... Take a few and read this Swine flu: why does it take so long to make a vaccine? : Effect Measure