How to stop constant rust?

I am having an issue with a couple of my guns constantly getting little specs of rust on them.

I have an old model Marlin Model 60

and my brand new Kahr CW-9

everytime I put either of them away for more than a couple of days they get tiny traces on rust on them.

The Marlin on the outside of the barrel and tube.

The Kahr on the slide.

I guess my house is just damp?

What can I do to keep this from happening?

I clean the guns regularly and after I shoot them but it still happens.

I have tried keeping them in factory case, in my sock drawer, and several other places. Nothing changes.

I am also having trouble getting some of the spots off the Kahr. I let it sit with a good amount of oil on it and rubbed with a terry cloth for a good while and it didn't help much.

I feel horrible I have let this happen to my beautiful new pistol but I don't know what to do, or what I could have done different.

I have a Walther P22 with gun-metal slide and it has never had this problem and I have had it here in the house over a year, whereas the Marlin and Kahr are new.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Rebtl

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

Don't store them in a case, or your sock drawer, the fabric/cushion material can collect moisture and make them rust, had a marlin 336 that someone stored in a case before I got it, and I spent a good hour with steel wool on it fixing the mistake. Steel wool will generally take the rust off without damaging the finish, but try it first, like in a small, out the way area of the gun that won't show, to make sure it won't hurt whatever finish you are working with. Before you put them up, or after you handle them, wipe them down any metal parts with an oily rag, then try to avoid touching the metal as much as you can, the natural oils on your hands can make a gun rust. If you still have problems...try a dehumidifier maybe? There's also some products on the market, and recipes for homemade versions of them that are designed to absorb moisture.

Guest clsutton21

Get some of those little packets that says "Do Not Eat" on them out of beef jerky or some pill sample bottles. They are made to absorb moisture.

Careful cleaning and wiping with an oily cloth is an absolute must after every handling. Do not store in an enclosed storage without venting. Use Desiccant packets [available from your gunstore at about a dime each]. For handguns I recommend using VCI paper [like S&W uses in shipping]. VIS [Volatile (or Vapor phase) Corrosion Inhibator paper emits a small phase vapor displacing moisture and prohibiting the rust process. VCI paper is available in 1000, 16" square sheets for about $30 from U-line. You can also likely score some free sheets from a local manufacturing facility that makes and ships ferrous metal products.

Be sure to oil them lightly before putting them away. I generally put oil on a rag, wipe the gun, then use a different area of the rag to lightly wipe off the extra. This is my typical practice, and it has worked well for me. Good luck

Dunno about the old Marlin, but I've got a Kahr PM9 (stainless slide) and a Ruger SP101 stainless that sit in bookcase in office.

My crib sometimes uses heat/air, about 3-4 months out of the year in spring/fall just windows, like now. Anyway, no rust on either of these stainless babies in about a year and a half, pretty much same humidity here as there.

I wonder if it isn't something about that particular Kahr and wondering if maybe you should get in touch with their CS?

Even my Hi-Point hasn't rusted. :biglol:

- OS

Guest Gun Geek

HA.. I just had my Marlin 60 completely refinished for the same exact problem. When I got the thing it had a little rust on it, I did everything from dehumidifiers, oil constantly, etc etc. still every few days, RUST. Finally I got tired of it, after a year of fighting it. Last week I gave it to my smith to re-blue, just got it back today. He said that there was microscopic pitting and he had to put it to the sander but it looks good. Once it starts its hard to stop it, unless you refinish it.

Ive never had any problems out of the Kahr I have, and havent heard of any others rusting. The only other gun I have heard about a few times has been Ruger LCP's. The slides seem to rust pretty easy on them. +1 on wiping down with gun oil before you store them, I do all mine this way and have never had any problems.

I would leave a light coat of CLP on both of them when you store them that always works for me

Yeah, I should have mentioned that everything I have gets a dose of CLP on all outside metal every time I clean them.

Course, the .22 rifles don't get cleaned but every 3 or 4 range trips, though.

- OS

Guest Calaloo

A product named EEZOX is the very best available to inhibit rusting. Steel wool wont rust when treated with it. Several tests have been done and can be found online. Smells good too.

If I have said it once I have said a K times. Rig Gun Grease. Keep a thin film on all my guns, an old man taught me this 30 years ago, and you will not have a rust problem. I have a rag that I have been using for 25 years to wipe down the guns, about time for a new one as this one is tattered, but it always works.

GunTech : Gun Cleaning Clinic: Knowing the Limits of Rust Preventatives - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools