washer/ dryer question

dralarms

Getting ready to buy a new front load washer dryer pair for the DW, need input from someone in the industry that can tell me which ones are the ones to stay away from, equipment failures, ETc. Also if you know of a good set that would be very helpful also.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest monsterking138

The less electronics the better. I would recommend getting a repair warranty. the average price to replace one of the pc boards is about $175. One of my good friends repairs washers/ dryer for sears. this is what he told my sister when she was looking at them a month ago. Can't remember what brand he recommended sorry.

Guest GimpyLeg

I like our Whirlpool set. I hear they make alot of the major brands anyway. I got an extended warrenty to be sure I have the pc board covered. I've heard rumors about the cost of those.

Guest 1817ak47

the above stated, stay with the ones that are basically all mechanial, and stay away from the elctronically controlled ones, those can be bad news especially with all the cheap ass electronics from china that all to often don't last but the venders charge way to much to replace these cheaply made parts that weren't made right to begin with.

also read into consumer reports, some librarys and colleges get them, lots of great info in them

We have the whirlpools, My wife loves them. We have had them about 5-6 years. The first year we had warranty service once for the washer. And havent had any trouble since. She likes the dryer gets done before the washer so she doesnt have wet close in the basket waiting for the dryer on wash day.

I have bought ex warranty's in the past on different items and never used them so I never buy them now.

The less electronics the better. I would recommend getting a repair warranty. the average price to replace one of the pc boards is about $175. One of my good friends repairs washers/ dryer for sears. this is what he told my sister when she was looking at them a month ago. Can't remember what brand he recommended sorry.

Yeah, electronics makes our lives better but they suck when they go out.

I like our Whirlpool set. I hear they make alot of the major brands anyway. I got an extended warrenty to be sure I have the pc board covered. I've heard rumors about the cost of those.

Yep about 2 bills.

the above stated, stay with the ones that are basically all mechanial, and stay away from the elctronically controlled ones, those can be bad news especially with all the cheap ass electronics from china that all to often don't last but the venders charge way to much to replace these cheaply made parts that weren't made right to begin with.

also read into consumer reports, some librarys and colleges get them, lots of great info in them

I don't want a wringer washer.:rolleyes: So all of them have bunches of electronics so kinda stuck in that aspect.

Heard that the LG models are bad about mold growth down in the tub of the washer and to stay away from them. Also look to see if it has the stabilizing system underneath.

Heard about that, seems they all have that problem to a certian degree, need to leave the door cracked to allow for drying.

We have the whirlpools, My wife loves them. We have had them about 5-6 years. The first year we had warranty service once for the washer. And havent had any trouble since. She likes the dryer gets done before the washer so she doesnt have wet close in the basket waiting for the dryer on wash day.

I have bought ex warranty's in the past on different items and never used them so I never buy them now.

How much did your water and elec. bills go down? In comparison, my water bill is around 40 bucks a month and my elec. is around 275 (went to above 3 bills in the summer):rolleyes:

What is your price range? You can spend anywhere from about $1500 to about $3000 for a set.

Well I was gonna get the set sears has on sale this weekend but they are too small. Price I hadn't given much thought to, (yet) I'm just looking at options. IOW, look at what she "wants" and then price down if necessary.

My parents are on their second set of front-load washer and dryer. The first set was a Whirlpool, and the purchase was made with very little research. According to my father, this was a huge mistake. The Whirlpool set was nothing but trouble. To be fair, the Whirlpool set was purchased some time ago when the front-load washers were just coming to the market.

This time, when they decided it was time for a new set, my father spent nearly a month and a half researching every option on the market. Everything pointed to the Samsung with Silvercare.

Washer model number: 195027

Dryer model number: 195030 (Electric)

He said that these are the stainless versions, but Samsung offered the same set in other color options, and the prices were a little cheaper. My stepmother just had to have stainless.

They have now had the set for about 7 months, and not a single issue. According to him, this set does clean and dry far better, has much, much less vibration and noise (a common issue with many front-load washers), and very easy to operate. He did also mention that this set was towards the top of the price spectrum. And worth every penny.

I was in your shoes two weeks ago. After researching online and talking to salespeople I went with Samsung.

Thanks.

My parents are on their second set of front-load washer and dryer. The first set was a Whirlpool, and the purchase was made with very little research. According to my father, this was a huge mistake. The Whirlpool set was nothing but trouble. To be fair, the Whirlpool set was purchased some time ago when the front-load washers were just coming to the market.

This time, when they decided it was time for a new set, my father spent nearly a month and a half researching every option on the market. Everything pointed to the Samsung with Silvercare.

Washer model number: 195027

Dryer model number: 195030 (Electric)

He said that these are the stainless versions, but Samsung offered the same set in other color options, and the prices were a little cheaper. My stepmother just had to have stainless.

They have now had the set for about 7 months, and not a single issue. According to him, this set does clean and dry far better, has much, much less vibration and noise (a common issue with many front-load washers), and very easy to operate. He did also mention that this set was towards the top of the price spectrum. And worth every penny.

Dang those are nice but we don't want the steam.

one of our members here works at HHgregg, I'm hoping he will chime in and let me know some of the service nightmares he has experiance with.

Abailey, get in contact with him, he will get you set up. I think he is in Georgia, but he can deal with your local store. He helped me with my cam corder, great guy to work with.

Maytag. They last forever. Really.

If the front loaders are like the traditional top loaders, Maytag is made by Whirlpool. So are the Kenmores. I returned a top-loader Maytag to Home Depot last year after running it once. It sounded like it was falling apart. Maytag is not what it used to be, but then again, none of them are.

The Kenmore I ended up with is about 1/3 as noisy at the Maytag. It replaced a 46 yr old Kenmore. I wish I could recondition the old one.

We are running a set of 14 YO Kenmores. These are electromechanical, no electronics. One knob on the washer broke but a pair of pliers work just fine and a whole lot cheaper and more reliable than the replacement knob. Other than the knob there have been no service issues. Our replacement set when necessary will be as basic as we can find.

oldogy

We are running a set of 14 YO Kenmores. These are electromechanical, no electronics. One knob on the washer broke but a pair of pliers work just fine and a whole lot cheaper and more reliable than the replacement knob. Other than the knob there have been no service issues. Our replacement set when necessary will be as basic as we can find.

oldogy

Sounds like you need a rock and a creek.:rolleyes:

Guest 1817ak47

I didn't mean go with a wringer, the older style ones with the knobs are basically mechanically controlled electric controls. unless you don't mind possibly have early repair problems and costly ones at that stay away from those onesthat are all electronic, like that are all digital.

I am a electronics tech so I know a bit about how all this stuff works. the ones that are not controlled by a electronic brain have much less to go wrong and are usually easier anc often cheaper to servoice. often ado it yourself can do it

we bought in spring a whirpoolwtw5200vq for 409 as it was a sale then, and a whirpool elec dryer wed5200vq for 388. if you go to the lowes on cedar bluff north peters rd area, they will give you a free upgrade if they don't have the model you are looking for in stock,

Edited by 1817ak47
added model that we bought

I bought the old relay logic type washing machines for this very reason. They last 30+ years if maintained and are reliable.

The electronics don't do much for you if you step back and look at the big picture.

In the future, these electronics will be tied into the "Smart Grid" and will provide some energy savings. For now, they just add complexity and unreliability.

Cliff's notes version of what is written below ~ If you have fancy electronics in your appliances, invest in several layers of surge protection devices to protect them.

For those of you that do have electronics in any of your appliances, you need to invest in a whole house surge protection device. (SPD) Plus add consecutive layers of protection as needed downstream.

Why?

Because there is no way to protect any of your 220 volt appliances. These electronics work on 5 volts and can only get hit so many times. As for your other 120 volt appliances, how many of you have them protected?

A good system starts at about $500 and can be as high as $3k. Anything less than that is garbage.

Good ones rely on several different technologies. Poor and cheap ones only have MOV's in them. The quality ones use silicon avalanching diodes, spark gap triggering and MOV's to protect against the different waveforms and electrical events.

There is no one SPD that will do it all, you need to apply them at the service entrance of your home, and then every place downstream that requires protection to "wick away" the event.

Some companies to look at are:

AC Panel Mount Products

(The TDX TVSS units are the minimum I would consider.)

Residential Surgelogic SPDs

(you get what you pay for, look at their high end ones. The hundred dollar ones are only good to protect a branch not a whole house.)

PHOENIX CONTACT | TRABTECH Surge Protection

Phoenix Contact is another reputable company to look at.

The NEC and UL implemented the UL/ANSI 1449-3 standard as of September this year. It is aimed at industrials but there has been significant changes in residential construction as well. The problem lies with the states not adopting these changes as they occur so contractors will not spend the money needed if they don't have to.

The motivation that is driving these new regulations is the increase costs of repairing and replacing the current technological offerings that are damaged by not only large electrical events. There is also types that have small electrical events that just keep pinging away till the circuitry fails. A good SPD will protect against all these events.

Edited by Currently