bersa 9mm

Guest mudduck

Guest mudduck

im am trying to get some imput on a bersa 9mm,is it a good gun,about how much is it worth,do they have any problems with them,i am not sure of the model,but it was bought new this year.any help would be nice, thanks

i am looking at buying it is why i am asking

Edited by mudduck
adding more
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jps37033

I firmly believe that any Bersa/Firestorm brand gun is top notch. Bersa is the most underrated gun there is. I have owned 3 and every one funtioned flawlessly. They might not be the best in finish quality, but for the money they cant be beat.

I truley feel that bersas will one day be $450+. Buy them while you can for $250-$350.

You wont go wrong with their 9mm.

They make a great product. I owned the .380 and loved it. I shot a friend's 9mm, and it was a good shooter. Very high quality for the price. You may be able to find a Ruger 9mm (89, 94) for around the same price. Either one would be a great nine.

I did a review of the Bersa Thunder 9 on another site, and will repeat it here if it will help. Also I reported on how well it shot from the holster here on TGO last April at this link:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/20142-bersa-holster.html

Here's the one from the other site. (I thought I posted it here at TGO as well, but can't find it.) A couple of the photos have been deleted from Photobucket and are no longer available.

"Hi Y'all,

You gents have heard me talk about the Bersa Thunder 9 before, so I thought I'd talk just a little and show some range test results and then some photos of the gun and a size comparison with a Smithinski & Wessonovich M5906.

First, just what is a Bersa Thunder 9? It is an updated and slightly modified copy of the Walther P88 made by the Bersa firm of Argentina. It is a conventional but fully ambidextrous DA/SA hi-cap semiauto pistol with an alloy frame and steel everythingelse. The 9mm mag holds 17 rounds. It is made in 9mm, .40(Thunder 40) and in .45ACP (Thunder 45), and each caliber comes in a compact version as well. It is a beefy, strong, yet graceful pistol that I've found to be every bit as accurate as the standard service pistol offerings by SIG, Beretta, Glock, CZ, and S&W. The exterior finish is first rate, as is the interior finish work. It is a popular military and police pistol in South America and is gaining a following here in the USA. I have found mine to be bulletproof after 300 rounds of six different JHP and FMJ loads, with no cleaning except for the bore. Not even a hint of a failure. These guns are rated for +P ammo but not for the +P+ stuff. OK, enough blabber. Here is my 300-rounds-worth-of-filthy-gun (with a little blabber under the photos)

PICT0105-1.jpg

PICT0108.jpg

The two photos above show the controls quite well. The rearmost lever is the decocker, which lifts upward to decock just like a 1911 safety, and disconnects the trigger and serves as a safety if left in the up position.The lever forward of that is the slide stop, and the forwardmost lever on the left side is the disassembly lever. The mag release can be switched from one side to the other very easily. To give you a better sense of proportion or overall size, I took a number of photos of the Bersa alongside a S&W M5906. You'll see that they are nearly identical in size.

PICT0101.jpg

PICT0099.jpg

They won't quite use the same holster, but they're darn close. The distance from muzzle to the front of the trigger guard is just about 1/8" longer on the Bersa, which keeps the Smith from fully seating. However, holsters made for the Walther P99 or SW 99 will fit the Bersa unless they are super-form fitted to the 99's. I bought a Safariland duty holster made for the P99 and it works beautifully with the Bersa.

PICT0096-1.jpg

This photo shows the Smith superimposed on top of the Bersa

PICT0095-1.jpg

This one shows the Bersa on top of the S&W. They couldn't be much more identical in size. The Bersa has a grip that is just a tad more hand-filling than the Smith, so anyone with hands that can't do a pretty good job of filling up a pair of "Large" gloves would want to try one before buying it. But the grip isn't nearly as biggish as a Beretta 92/96. The trigger reach is a fraction longer than the Smith, but is easily dooable and is nowhere near as long as the reach on a CZ 75. I got right into the gun with no more "getting-used-to" than I've done in any other gun. And I might add that these guns have excellent triggers in them with a reset that is 98% the equal of the Smith reset and every bit as good as a CZ's reset. I'd say my SA pull, estimating, is on the skinny side of five pounds and clean. It had the tiniest amount of creep when new, but now with 300 rounds under its belt the creep is disappearing quite nicely.

PICT0089.jpg

These are two 3" discs showing typical accuracy I've obtained from this gun from the bench with very common ammo.

PICT0084-1.jpg

This is how the gun performs while standing offhand (Isoceles stance) in the wind and rapid firing the gun as soon as sight picture returned each time, firing 18 rounds without a break in each string.

So guys, I'll conclude with a simple comment that I think this is a darn good, accurate, tough pistol that is more than worth its modest price, and if you want to put your money into one you won't be let down. It is now my carry pistol. Best wishes.

JayPee"

Great gun - easy to shoot - do not expect a good finish on it, so I suggest going Matte...

There are 2 models Bersa Thunder Pro High Capacity (3/4 to full size pistol)

and the Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact - carry size.

NOTE: Make sure it is roll marked "PRO" or you are buying old stock...

Features: Ambidextrous Slide release and Safety (Safety is also a Decocker) Round in Chamber Indicator, Safety Key (key lock system that blocks the firearm from functioning) Polygonal Rifled Barrel, and picatinny rail (one slot rail on Ultra Compact, three slot on High Capacity...) 2 magazines come standard.

IMHO and from what I have read - these are the most reliable firearms Bersa makes. Which is surprising considering the 380 caliber Thunders...

Place to gather more info :: Bersa Talk :: • Index page - Lots of good info - just avoid the "general" discussion areas unless you want to deal with the Birfers, Truthers, and off the edge losers...

IF you find one that is not marked PRO - it will not have the Round in Chamber Indicator, picatinny rail or polygonal rifling... do NOT pay full price - I'd say go no more than $300 for it.

PRICE: UNDER $400 NIB either High Cap or Ultra Compact

What to expect when shooting: Expect the gun to be more accurate than yourself, unless you are a top shooter. Expect low recoil for a 9. Comfortable grip - though a little thicker than most due to double stack magazines. Enjoyable.

What to expect from maintenance - EASY EASY EASY to break down - easy to clean.

(FYI: the 45 comes in Ultra Compact Model only...)

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest oldhack62

The Bersa 9mm is as fine a handgun as there is out there. You're not going to find many folks that will tell you that, though, because they don't spend a lot of money advertising in the U.S., and they don't cost an arm and a leg. So, the 'gun crowd' assumes they're junk.

And, that's okay with me! If the quality/price ratio gets known, the price probably won't stand still long. The company sells all it sends to this country, as it is.

I have a Firestorm Mini 9mm PRO which I purchased new in February. 13 round capacity, matte finish. Cost me under $400 OTD (probably a bit cheaper these days). I've put a few hundred rounds through this pistol, with no issues whatsoever. It is manufactured by Bersa in Argentina.

Excellent pistol, more accurate than the Ruger P94 and S&W 5903 I shot at the same time. Maybe it's time to sell the 5903 (I already sold the P94 2 months ago).

I'd purchase another Firestorm without any qualms on dependability, etc.

As stated above by others, I believe the Bersa's and Firestorm's don't get as much respect as they should. But that's okay by me. :blah::D

Guest mudduck

well that settles it,i will be getting the bersa 9,all the info was positive,thanks for the info,i am doing some tradeing to get it so it will be a good deal.