Wanting an AK 74, What do I need to know?

Guest DaG

O.K., I want an AK 74 but the different companies are just mind boggling to me. What do I need to look for? I like the ITM from Ohio but don't have a clue about them. Is there something about parts that has to be changed to be compliant? Milled vs stamped? Mags? Muzzle brakes? It's all so confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

DaG

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one from ohio rapid fire, it is well built. you can find better ones for a bit more expensive, but i think it is a really good one. I use russian surplus ammo (corrosive) but is all good, shoot perfectly, is accurate and cheap to shoot. about the ammo just spray the gun with windex ones you are done shooting and clean it as soon as you get home. mine does not have any rust.

Guest jimdigriz
With prices as low as they are right now, buy one from K-var and be done with it. It will cost you less and get you more.

Only if you are getting a 7.62x39. But he said he wanted an AK74, and the ones from K-VAR are going for over $800. A Saiga conversion, gun and parts, could be done for about $550.

Only if you are getting a 7.62x39. But he said he wanted an AK74, and the ones from K-VAR are going for over $800. A Saiga conversion, gun and parts, could be done for about $550.

Eh, nevermind. I'm an idiot who can't read.

However, here is a good one at a great price http://www.centerfiresystems.com/bulgarianak-74545x39riflepartakagun-bul.aspx

Edited by Smith

All AK74s will have a stamped receiver. If someone is making one with a milled receiver, ignore it unless you just want an extra 1/2 pound of weight or like the looks. The Bakelite and plastic mags work great. Even the inexpensive Bulgarian ones have steel inserts in the feed lips so they never deform. Stay away from aftermarket mags. The military muzzle brake is loud, throws up dust in the prone position, and serves no purpose except on full-auto. There are aftermarket flash suppressors that are a vast improvement. If you buy a commercially-made rifle, it will already have the needed US-compliant parts.

The above rifle from Centerfire Systems looks like a good buy. The NoDak Spud receivers are well made, and a Bulgarian kit is mil-spec.

As i have never heard of centerfire systems b4 and don't know of the quality of their builds i can't say much. price is sure good, specailly since bulgy kits were going for about $450 a few months ago. I'd go with the one from AIM however. People on akfiles seem to love their workmanship. that and also you can buy the mags form good price from AIM. I'd spend the extra 100 and go with a better known builder.

Guest 70below

+1 for In Range.........they're top notch, and they're local (Kodak, TN)

I don't think that you would go wrong with the AIM or Centerfire rifles. I would trust either company, I haven't known either to sell crap. If I had some extra money, I'd probably snap up one of them.

Have you considered the Polish Tantal? I have one that I absolutely love. I kept the folder, and used the Nodak Spud receiver to retain the dummy selector switch (now tied into the safety). Just don't go with one of the Century models with the US barrel. Make sure you get one made with the original barrel.

As i have never heard of centerfire systems b4 and don't know of the quality of their builds i can't say much. price is sure good, specailly since bulgy kits were going for about $450 a few months ago. I'd go with the one from AIM however. People on akfiles seem to love their workmanship. that and also you can buy the mags form good price from AIM. I'd spend the extra 100 and go with a better known builder.

I don't believe that either AIM or Centerfire Systems actually does any rifle builds. I'd give them a call and ask who did the build. It may be the same builder for all we know. Saving a $100 would buy a good bit of mags and ammo. I've done business with both companies, and always gotten what I expected.

Don't know who makes it for centerfire, but for AIM it is In range, a good assembler. The only reason i advised the one by In Range is because they are known for good quality, and i can't recall hearing anything about the one centerfire is selling.

OK....Centerfire is $499 and AIM is $599. What's the $100 difference as they both look the same and if I read it right both are Bulgarian?? Just the different importers? But that's what I definately want. Anybody got one they want to trade for a Glock?:D:D

Keep the opinions coming.

DaG

OK....Centerfire is $499 and AIM is $599. What's the $100 difference as they both look the same and if I read it right both are Bulgarian?? Just the different importers? But that's what I definately want. Anybody got one they want to trade for a Glock?:D:D

DaG

The difference is mainly who assembled them and on what reciever. also on how they park/blue/gun-cote or whatever the finish product. Not importers just assemblers, they get imported into the states as parts only, them a US assembler puts them together with added US made parts and sell it as their own. for a Glock never :D

DaG

AIM also has some for $499. The difference between those is that the cheap ones are only 922r compliant with the aftermarket US made magazines. The more expensive ones have more US made furniture on them so they are legal to use with surplus magazines.

Guest 70below

Personally I'd prefer to use Com-bloc magazines and not have to worry about the US made mags. I'd hate to save $5-10 bucks on a mag and spend 5-10 in the federal pen. Probably wouldn't happen, but better safe than sorry.