Nashville Metro sidearm?

broylz

i am looking to get onto the Nashville Metro PD but was curious as to which sidearm they carry? i assumed it is probably a Glock 22 but would like to check in with someone who knows. anyone here at Metro currently? PM me if you would rather.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I've got a buddy that's a Metro cop. In uniform, they carry a G22. When he was undercover he carried a G23. Metro uses Winchester 165 gr. +p Rangers.

i just called the recruiter today and am doing my app and getting paperwork together this weekend.

how does the academy work? do they run multiple classes? or one after the other? whats the realistic hiring time? 4-6 months?

• Administrator
i just called the recruiter today and am doing my app and getting paperwork together this weekend.

how does the academy work? do they run multiple classes? or one after the other? whats the realistic hiring time? 4-6 months?

So wait... are you Law Enforcement now, or are you applying to be? And if the latter, why the LEO icon in your user profile if you aren't currently?

Well, the economy has a lot of people that wouldn't normally be looking at LE work applying, so already slow process is going even slower these days.

Your probably looking at more like 6months to a year.

After they process your app, you could be looking at several months before getting a test date.

They typically run 2 or 3 academies a year, dependent on need. There are no solid start dates for the academy (ex: the Oct 09 class has been pushed to Nov 09).

MNPD's academy is long compared to a lot of depts, but it is extremely thorough. The best part? You WILL get paid will training. It isn't a live in academy, so you DO get to go home every night.

Weird. Are they older guys who've been around for a while?

Hmm... come to think of it, yeah. But, I was talking to one of them in the stairwell, I said I thought you guys had Glock 22's for issue. Surprised me when he told me no, this is what they're issued now. He was really happy about it; he liked it much better than the 22.

I don't know, maybe it's his position or something...

The Glock 22 is the only in uniform approved handgun. The 23 and 27 are approved for on-duty use by plain clothes officers. Those are the only approved duty handguns. There is a short list of approved back-up and off-duty handguns.

Guest Todd@CIS
Metro uses Winchester 165 gr. Rangers.

Not anymore, they just switched to Speer's 165gr Gold Dot within the last few months. There might still be officers on the street with Rangers in their weapons, but only because they haven't qualified within that time frame yet.

Also, SIGs haven't been authorized for Metro duty since about '97ish.

When I first got hired by Metro ('96), we could carry anything made by SIG, Beretta, S&W, or Glock...as long as it was 9mm. These were personally owned.

(NOTE: I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I seized control of my academy class' "Top Gun" trophy using a G19 :popcorn:).

In the late 90s, they decided to standardize with issued G22s and no longer approved the personal 9mms.

Unless something has changed, Metro SWAT was authorized to carry 1911s. Obviously, units like Vice (undercover) would not necessarily be married to an "issued" weapon.

I was just at Metro's Academy yesterday and ran into an old academy classmate who is now assigned to SWAT...too bad I didn't see this thread before I went or I could have doublechecked.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Hey Todd. This is Don. It was good to see you the other day. We no longer have the option of 1911s. That ended a few years ago. It is the Glock 22 across the board. I believe policy still allows us to get a 1911 or other handgun approved for SWAT use but the chain of command will no longer approve it.

Guest Todd@CIS
Hey Todd. This is Don. It was good to see you the other day. We no longer have the option of 1911s. That ended a few years ago. It is the Glock 22 across the board. I believe policy still allows us to get a 1911 or other handgun approved for SWAT use but the chain of command will no longer approve it.

Damn, small world!

Guys, this is from the man that would know. :stunned:

Great to see you as well...take care.

Edited by Todd@CIS