Gov. Huckabee and Tennessee

Guest oldfella

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but your definition of conservative and mine must differ greatly. This is the same Huckabee that raised taxes and signed anti-gun laws in AR correct?

I'm not sure, but I dont think so.

Mike Huckabee on Gun Control

Republican AR Governor

Second Amendmen is about freedom, not about hunting

Q: You introduced yourself to New Hampshire voters this way, “Here’s a guy who didn’t just read the latest issue of NRA Magazine and decide he’s going to be for the Second Amendment.†A: Voters want someone whose views on the Second Amendment understand that the basic issue is one of freedom and it’s not hunting.

Source: Fox News Sunday: 2007 “Choosing the President†interviews Aug 26, 2007

Owns firearms; enjoys hunting; supports 2nd amendment

My position on the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution is as clear for me as the position held by most journalists toward the 1st Amendment. While I do not consider myself a “gun nut,†I proudly own a variety of firearms and enjoy hunting as well as sports shooting. But even if I were not a hunter or did not enjoy shooting, I would still be a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment right of Americans to own firearms for self-protection and as a matter of principle.There are 700,000 physicians in the US and the number of accidental deaths caused by them per year is 120,000, making the accidental death rate per physician 17%. Using the same logic, there are about 80 million gun owners, and the number of accidental gun deaths per year among all age groups is 1,500. The same calculation reveals the number of accidental deaths per gun owner to be 0.00188%. In other words, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 more times more dangerous than gun owners. Yet, I hear no one suggesting we ban doctors.

Source: From Hope to Higher Ground, by Mike Huckabee, p.126-127 Jan 4, 2007

Supports self-defense and ‘castle doctrine’

Gov. Mike Huckabee said that he would support legislation in Arkansas for a law like one passed in Florida last year to protect citizens who use deadly force in self-defense against criminal prosecution and civil liability. Huckabee told a caller to his monthly radio show that he has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and believes “there is an absolute right that people have to protect themselves and even their property.â€During the show, a caller asked the governor what he thought of Florida’s so-called “Castle Doctrine.†Passed last year, the law states that any person has the right to “stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm.†The name of the law is drawn from the adage that a man’s home is his castle. “Personally, I think it’s the way it ought to be,†Huckabee said. “We ought to have the right to protect ourselves.â€

Source: Rob Moritz, Arkansas News Bureau Jan 5, 2006

Allow concealed carry

• Indicate which principles you support concerning gun issues.
  • Allow citizens to carry concealed guns.

Source: 2002 AR Gubernatorial National Political Awareness Test Nov 1, 2002

Mike Huckabee on the Issues

Guest oldfella
I'm sorry but your definition of conservative and mine must differ greatly. This is the same Huckabee that raised taxes and signed anti-gun laws in AR correct?

Jay - This Huckabee wants to helps us all bring a new change in the White House and Congress - and we need to help his efforts by becoming active in some way or another, unless you like the present "change".

Pete

Links?

Huckabee's request in front of the legislature as Governor talking about different types of taxes he would support and be happy to sign into law.

Here is an article from FactCheck.org...

FactCheck.org: Huckabee's Fiscal Record

The facts are he raised taxes in AR more than Bill Clinton did as Governor, and he raised the states budget by more than 50% after adjusting for inflation from 10b (again inflation adjusted) to 15b in just 2 terms as Governor.

As for his 'pro gun control' stance... He only started talking about being pro-2nd amendment stance in his run up to the Presidential Election in 2007, look at his record as Governor and all the silly pro gun control laws which were passed and he signed as Governor.

Also as late as 2006 Mike Huckabee was getting speaking fees from PRO CONTROL GROUPS who were advocating reducing access to guns would reduce gun violence.

Stem cell, gun control groups paid Huckabee - Democratic Underground

Oh yeah while he was at it, he was also taking money from pro stem cell research groups as well is 2006.

I'm sorry, I'll agree he's a nice guy, and I wouldn't mind sitting down with him for dinner one night... But he is not a conservative in anyway shape or form of the word.

This guy like McCain would have supported the vast majority of the 'change' Obama has brought us, only maybe a little slower.

He's just more of the same, and would not result in the real change we need is Washington... He's just a politician who will change his core values to what is most advantageous and will get him elected.

Edited by JayC
I'm not sure, but I dont think so.

Look at the dates, then go back and look at the laws he signed as Governor... I agree he talks to the talk when he was planning on running for President... He probably would be slightly better than our current President on gun control... but he's not the true conservative he makes himself out to be...

It's time to expect more from the people that we elect and Mike Huckabee is a nice guy, but still a two faced politician saying what he needs to to get elected.

Ask him what he'd do about the BATF? Ask him would be issue and executive order to allow carry on all federal land? Ask him if he would support cutting off federal funds to Washington DC government until they removed the anti-2nd amendment gun control laws?

I think you'll be shocked if you can get a straight answer out of him.

Jay - This Huckabee wants to helps us all bring a new change in the White House and Congress - and we need to help his efforts by becoming active in some way or another, unless you like the present "change".

Pete

I don't like President Obama is doing anymore than I liked what President Bush was doing in the White House...

I am fully against the Democrate parties progressive agenda, I think it's bad for the country and we should be fighting it...

But that doesn't mean the current crop of Republican 'progressive-light' is any better...

They're both sides of the same coin, and it's a black penny... I for one want to trade the entire coin in... not just flip it over and think we've somehow fixed the problem...

BTW, Huckabee agrees on most of these crazy ideas that the current President is passing...

Climate Change - check, believes we need legislation to reduce CO2 emissions... The issue is not a fundamental one, but a question of how to go about it to pay back his big donating supporters... but they both want to force us to change the way we live.

I'm sorry but he's not the "change" we're looking for, just more of the same at a slightly slower pace than the "change" we got a year ago.

Guest oldfella
Look at the dates, then go back and look at the laws he signed as Governor... I agree he talks to the talk when he was planning on running for President... He probably would be slightly better than our current President on gun control... but he's not the true conservative he makes himself out to be...

It's time to expect more from the people that we elect and Mike Huckabee is a nice guy, but still a two faced politician saying what he needs to to get elected.

Ask him what he'd do about the BATF? Ask him would be issue and executive order to allow carry on all federal land? Ask him if he would support cutting off federal funds to Washington DC government until they removed the anti-2nd amendment gun control laws?

I think you'll be shocked if you can get a straight answer out of him.

I'd be interested to hear his answers to your questions.... are you going to ask him?

Pete

I'd be interested to hear his answers to your questions.... are you going to ask him?

Pete

No, I already made my mind up about the guy before the last election... He's not a true conservative, he's already proven that time and time again... Note: See the youtube video of the Governor giving ideas on what taxes to increase that he would support and sign into law.

A REAL conservative would have vetoed any tax or spending increases and pushed for the reduction in the size of government to meet any short falls in the budget.

He grew the size of government over 50% during his 2 terms in office, while not as bad as other people (Obama) it's the wrong direction.

Huckabee is a perfect example of a politician who sees the Tea Party movement as a way to get himself elected, not somebody who is willing to stand by his core values when it's hard.

Edited by JayC