Community Colleges In Nashville area??

mk19

I've been searching the net, and i don't seem to be finding many community colleges around nashville area, specially closer to Antioch. Where I live now there are 2 whithin 10 mins and at least 7 more whithin 30 mins, not including univercities. All i can find is Nashville tech. Is that all my choices? I just want to take some classes before the fall semester. Please shine some light.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's your best bet.

Unfortunately, it's not like the SoCal where there's a MiraCosta or SDCC on every corner :D

Education is also generally higher here, although I suppose what you loose in higher education costs, you'll gain back in lower cost of living.

TN also has an "anywhere degree" program called RODP (Regents Online Degree Program). If you are taking college courses or returning after a number of years away from it, I would NOT recommend this option. It is for folks who are VERY comfortable learning online and are extremely well-disciplined and don't need F2F contact with an instructor to keep "on track". Just IMHO......

PM me if you'd like more details. I'm an instructor at a CC in East TN so I can get you other info if you'd like as well.

Good info guys, thanks :lol: Another member sugested Nashville State Community College so now i have 3 choices. Not a big fan of online courses, as i have been away from school for a couple of years. I tend to do much better when i am in a class room setting.

keep it coming folks, and thanks in advance

Good info guys, thanks :lol: Another member sugested Nashville State Community College so now i have 3 choices. Not a big fan of online courses, as i have been away from school for a couple of years. I tend to do much better when i am in a class room setting.

keep it coming folks, and thanks in advance

Nashville Tech and Nashville State Community College are actually the same school. Nashville Tech was it's old name, and most long time Nashville residents still refer to it as such.

Next door to NSCC's campus is TN Technology Center which is a local state funded Voc-Tech school, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Depending on what you want to do, they have bridge programs to NSCC though.

The plan is to attend Vanderbelt next fall. in the mean time i want to get some courses out of the way and maybe even complete an associates.

If that's your plan then check out Nashville Tech thoroughly. I graduated from there in 1992 and at that time a lot of their courses didn't transfer well to 4 year schools. May very well have changed now that it's officially a community college but that was a problem for a lot of folks back in the day.

If that's your plan then check out Nashville Tech thoroughly. I graduated from there in 1992 and at that time a lot of their courses didn't transfer well to 4 year schools. May very well have changed now that it's officially a community college but that was a problem for a lot of folks back in the day.

Yeah, credit transfers a lot easier these days, especially within TBOR schools (TN Board of Regents). So if you get an associates at NSCC, 99% of your credits will transfer to TSU or MTSU, but keep in mind since Vandy is private, they will probably be extremely selective with what credits they will allow to transfer.

Plan to go for Radiology(nuke med) which is a 17 month program, and hoping to get a bachelors in Nursing. That is the plan how it is going to work, we'll have to wait and see.

If you're thinking Nuclear Med, I'd check out some of the Voc-Tech schools around Nashville. I don't know what each offer, but there are several state and private ones around town.

As far as a 4yr in Nursing, I'd checkout Aquinas as well as MTSU, TSU, and Vandy. While I can't absolutely verify it, I'd imagine their nursing programs would rank as such:

1) Vandy

2) Aquinas

3) MTSU

4) TSU

I would imagine the cost of each would be in the same order, albeit MTSU and TSU should be the same.

For a change cost is not much of an issue since GIbill is covering it. that is why I wanted some quality education :) So i can find a better job and be of better service. but I'll check and apply to all of them. Can't put all my eggs in one basket.

For a change cost is not much of an issue since GIbill is covering it. that is why I wanted some quality education :) So i can find a better job and be of better service. but I'll check and apply to all of them. Can't put all my eggs in one basket.

I think Vandy is currently running about 25k a year, so consider that.

Vandy is not easy to get into.

Also, THIS. Very much so this.