M44

Guest Drewsett

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest G-Pa Glynn

I picked up one and 450 rounds of ammo for it for $200. This was about a month and a half ago. $229 is high. You can find them for under $100 on line alot of the time.

Guest clsutton21
So, I came across an M44 in the pawn shop today...it was in pretty good shape...

They wanted 229.00 for it.

Is that high? It seems high

This is where you made your mistake.

Guest coldblackwind

Traded a PA-63 ($160) for mine, to a dealer (background check) and he handed ME $30. Didn't G&L have some of them on here a while back, or were those 91/30's?

Until they dig some more up over in Russia or Eastern Europe to import there ain't no $100 (or less) M44's. That supply is dried up for now.

91/30's were unavailable for most of the summer until more were imported at the nice price - that being $80 or so for C&R holders, $129 more or less for the rest of us.

If you're lucky, like I was at a gunshow a few weeks ago, you'll find them for a lot less that $229 from people walking around.

I was in Coal Creek Armory, in Knoxville, this afternoon and they have a M-44. I looked hard, but I didn't see any gold on it. No silver either. Just blue steel and orange wood. It didn't do any fancy tricks. As a matter of fact, it didn't even move. Looked kind of boring. I tried hard to figure why it was $330, for about a minute and then I moved on.

I was in Coal Creek Armory, in Knoxville, this afternoon and they have a M-44. I looked hard, but I didn't see any gold on it. No silver either. Just blue steel and orange wood. It didn't do any fancy tricks. As a matter of fact, it didn't even move. Looked kind of boring. I tried hard to figure why it was $330, for about a minute and then I moved on.

:up:

Was that case price? :up::D

Guest coldblackwind

I'm betting it was one of them there special ones like they had at the sparta gunshow a couple months back. That ones a heck of a deal, the other I saw was $450, you should pick that up!

So, I came across an M44 in the pawn shop today...it was in pretty good shape...

They wanted 229.00 for it.

Is that high? It seems high

5 years ago I bought a Polish M44 at the Goodman show for $65, the last show I went to I didn't see any Mosin's for under $150. The Polish M44 has the best cleanest finish I've ever seen on any Mosin, I touched up some shiny spots with a bluing kit and sanded and re-varnished the stock.

1kqb8.jpg

Guest Drewsett

Update:

I went back in and looked at it again...the number on the bolt matches the number on the reciever...I looked all over it for any other numbers and couldn't really see any. I didn't have a quality camera with me, but I may make another trip in if someone has any insight on it.

The stock's finish is in decent shape, the gun finish is probably between 75-80%

This shop has been pretty friendly and have come down some on some of their tag prices when I ask and play hard sell (I've gone in there every other day for a week and walked out without purchasing anything) They also vaguely said they would be willing to talk cash discount....

I think I might be able to get it OTD for around 200 b/c of this, still way too high?

Guest Drewsett

forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if it is "counter-bored"

I assume this means that the gun was machined in a way similar to when you bore out cylinders on an engine to make them bigger?

Wouldn't that make the round slide through the barrel?

(Like I said, forgive my ignorance)

Guest Drewsett

1944 is the date on the reciever and I believe it has the Izhevsk (sp?) mark of arrow in the triangle

guess I'll take my camera and go back on Friday (always love an excuse to visit a gun shop)

I wonder if that is the same one I saw last spring, no matching numbers.

Guest 1817ak47
I wonder if that is the same one I saw last spring, no matching numbers.
probably so, that one has been there for a while. it is a polish made with folding bayo. and I thing it was 50s production. and it shows it age and wear. look at the price tag, it was marked down recently. in oct I picked up a m44 1946 no matching #'s, and no importing markings, 100 OTD and no paper trail:hiding:

counter boring does not hurt anything. they only go about 1/4 of an inch in.

Easily detected by the muzzle end having a big ole hole instead of a regular 7.62 sized hole.

I would not pay 200 bucks for that rifle.

I am not sure why you are set on a M44 for a first Mosin, but if you look around you can find 91/30's for under 125. 91/30 to me is a better shooter though you get less fireball.

Edited by Mike.357

I purchased one at the Gun Show Satuday here in Knoxville in a FTF. Turns out it's a Chinese made T53 made in 1955. I suspect that the stock has been refinished. There is a lot of shellack on it. The blue seems good. Bore is a bit dark. Going to give it a good going over this weekend and take it to the range to see what I really got. I'll post a picture soon.

• 4 weeks later...