• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pro:

- Excellent concealability for 9 mm, pocket or IWB

- recoil quite acceptable, even with +p

- nice craftsmanship

con:

- only 6+1 (not enough for ME to feel comfy)

- wants to be broken in and needs to be clean and well lubed for reliabilty

- somewhat higher problem rate than bigger framed guns or MK all metal series

- carrying loose mag can have top round or rounds jiggle free

- slightly harder to break down, at least till you get used to removing the one pin

- expensive

All the cons are generally offset though, if you really need a quality piece to completely conceal without dropping down to the weenie .380.

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Kahr-Bullard-sm.jpg

- OS

I have a PM9. I have found it exceedingly easy to carry and 100% reliable. I concur that when carrying a spare, the top round can wiggle loose. It is a little tricky to take down and reassemble, and it is put together tightly, but this is just another "gun trick" you learn if you own enough guns. I love the way it carries in the inexpensive Galco Matrix holster, and it easy slips in and out of the front pocket of my cargo shorts. It shoots well, but with the 6 round magazine, you get the "free pinky" effect. I own about twenty handguns, some of which are many times the cost of the PM9. All but three of my handguns are in long term storage in my father's gun safe. These three are in my safe, and get carried regularly: Glock 19, S&W 442 "Molon Labe" j frame, and PM9.

...It shoots well, but with the 6 round magazine, you get the "free pinky" effect. ...

You can of course, put a Pearce pinky extension on short mag. I tried one, and while comfy, it stuck out just enough to make pocket carry a little tight, so I just got used to shooting it with my pinky curled under.

- OS

Haven't shot a PM9, but wanted to chime in. Hopefully I'm not hijacking. I LOVE shooting with my pinkie tucked under the grip. I have a Glock 26 and much prefer shooting it without the pearce extension. So for what it's worth, I would never consider having to tuck your pinkie under the grip a con. I like it.

Haven't shot a PM9, but wanted to chime in. Hopefully I'm not hijacking. I LOVE shooting with my pinkie tucked under the grip. I have a Glock 26 and much prefer shooting it without the pearce extension. So for what it's worth, I would never consider having to tuck your pinkie under the grip a con. I like it.

Yeah, I shoot my XD 9 subbie the same way.

Tried Pearce on it, even filed it down to minimum, still wound up taking it off.

- OS

slightly harder to break down, at least till you get used to removing the one pin

I've got a PM9 and agree with everything OhShoot said with the possible exception of this. I heard some people say takedown was a pain, so I carefully read the instructions, watched a couple of Youtube videos of people field stripping Kahr pistols, and had very little trouble.

I've got a PM9 and agree with everything OhShoot said with the possible exception of this. I heard some people say takedown was a pain, so I carefully read the instructions, watched a couple of Youtube videos of people field stripping Kahr pistols, and had very little trouble.

The only gotcha is removing the slide lock pin, which holds the whole thing together; you have to retract the slide just a scootch and tap pin out. After 8 or 10 times and it loosens up, you can just press the pin against a counter top or whatever and you can do it blindfolded.

Kahr also has disassembly video on their site.

- OS

The only gotcha is removing the slide lock pin, which holds the whole thing together; you have to retract the slide just a scootch and tap pin out. After 8 or 10 times and it loosens up, you can just press the pin against a counter top or whatever and you can do it blindfolded.

Kahr also has disassembly video on their site.

- OS

That might explain why I had no problems. I bought mine used, so presumably the initial problems with loosening the pin are gone. Personally, I have no problem removing mine with my fingers..

Guest m4coyote

I carry a PM9 every day, and really can't think of anything else that would be a suitable substitute. To my knowledge, for the price, there is no other pistol that light, small, and accurate. I love mine!

I carry a PM9 every day, and really can't think of anything else that would be a suitable substitute. To my knowledge, for the price, there is no other pistol that light, small, and accurate. I love mine!

Yes agree.

Folks generally think it's too expensive and drop down to a lesser weapon, like Kel-Tech PF9 or one of the many .380s out there. But the price is well justified for such a quality weapon in an effective caliber.

- OS

I've never had problem taking apart a Kahr. There are a couple little tiny easy to ignore marks on the slide and the frame that you're supposed to line up. Once you do, pin slips right out.

I have had one for three years. Mine had to go back to Kahr once after the "break-in" to be reworked. Customer service was good and the turnaround was reasonable. It has been reliable since with an additional 200 plus rounds of three varying JHP Personal Defense rounds I "qualified" it with. I like the ergonomics and trigger. Some think it is "mushy". Kind of like a shortened version of the HK LEM in my view and feel.

The nearest competition is the Rohrbaugh for almost 1K. The R9 does not lock open on the last round and has no mag release button, only the funky euro tab on the bottom.

7 rounds of 9mm is stronger than 5 rounds of .38 spl plus P. or 7 rounds of .380 IMO, but I use all of the aforementioned for pocket carry.

Seecamp

Kahr

S&W revolver M&P 340.

I think you will like it.

P2140017-2.jpg

P9240007-1.jpg

Edited by DAdams
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Bretticus

I just purchased this weapon. Steep price, but then again, they basically own the market on a truly pocket concealable, slim, lightweight 9mm, hands down. I haven't fired it yet, but I'll post back when I do. I agree with the tight breakdown, but then again, you aren't breaking it down when using it for what it is designed for. It easily fits in any pocket, jeans or dress pants, with very little prints. For the ability to be concealed for the firepower, 10 stars. Only the .380s are smaller. The Sig P238 is much smaller, but then again, stopping power is an issue under a 9mm.

If you, the reader, are indeed serious about carrying one at all times, the size and weight and ability to carry are the most important issues. For instance, I watched a friend struggle just to get a Glock subcompact into their pocket, and that was hanging out at that. Therefore, this guy won't be concealing with dress clothes on. The Kahr PM9 definitely gives you 100 percent options for any type of dress; just slip it in your pocket... Any pocket. I would pass on the upscale model with the chambered round indicator. It isn't worth paying over $1000 for.

Drawbacks: No way to decock. No textured area on the front of the trigger guard. No safety of any kind. It's hard to complain about it being slim, because it's designed to be concealed, and it therefore does its job. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Easily.

Bretticus hope the PM9 serves you well. Make sure to read and follow the directions for operation.

Hopefully yours will be 100% right out of the box (after cleaning and lubing).

Some are and some are not. If you have to send yours back press Kahr to pay shipping both ways, not just back to you.

One key mistake many PM 9 users make is not using the slide release to chamber the first round. Don't "slingshot" use the release.

There is controversy regarding JHP ammunition nose configuration and proper feeding, I spoke with a Kahr Technician when I was have some issues and he said when it is running right it will shoot anything.

Some seem to think polishing the feedramp helps improve performance.

I shot mostly ball during the "break-in" and eventually qualified three JHP rounds that ran well. I put 10 of each from the box down range then kept the balance back for carry. Netting 30 rounds.

Speer Gold Dot, Federal, CORBON DPX.

I think it ran the Golden Sabers well also.

P9240007-1.jpg

Here is a link to a good holster although there are many.

$50 is pretty reasonable. High rankings by Seecamp carriers.

Hedley Pocket Holsters

I shot mostly ball during the "break-in" and eventually qualified three JHP rounds that ran well. I put 10 of each from the box down range then kept the balance back for carry. Netting 30 rounds.

Speer Gold Dot, Federal, CORBON DPX. ...

You're trusting your life to a ten round test?

Wow.

- OS

Guest nosnos

Do people actually shoot 200 rounds of their defensive ammo??? I'd be broke if I tried to do that. I content myself generally with a half box. That crap is expensive!

Any ammo problems I've had in a pistol (limited experience, granted) have shown themselves within a magazine full or two. The gun likes it, or it doesn't, as far as I've seen.