PM9 Thoughts?

JeffsSig

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me clarify. The PM 9 (break-in) was to almost to 400 rounds when it started acting up. It had FTE, FTF (feed) issues on the way to 400 and got progressively worse, until the last straw day was a box of 50 Remington Green box ball where every other strike was either light, or off to the side enough to not impact the primer "in the ignition zone".

It went to Kahr, was rebuilt, had some parts replaced and I put 250 rounds of various ball and JHP through it. THEN I settled in on three vendors products and did the 10/10/10.

Hence what I have is 280 rounds through it with some new parts and some parts that have 650 rounds logged. I then settled on three products I am confident with.

I have 100% confidence that it will run the 7 rounds out that are in the gun. With a bottom feeding side chucker, who knows on the next magazine.

That's why I prefer a revolver for most of my EDC needs.

Guest nosnos

For me there is a price at which it's not worth the odds of me actually needing my gun. Call me lame, but I've only got X amount of dollars to work with. I carry a gun, and have confidence that it will work if I ever need it. I mean, seriously. I think one should be more worried about other things than $300 worth of self defense ammo just to be sure that it feeds. The odds of really needing your gun in self defense are slim. There's only so much I can afford to do to be prepared. That's all I'm saying.

Why only 250 rounds? Isn't your life worth 1000 rounds, just to make EXTRA sure??

Anyway, sorry about the hijack. I shot my father in law's PM9 over Christmas. I like it. Cool gun! :confused:

Guest 10mm4me
Let me clarify. The PM 9 (break-in) was to almost to 400 rounds when it started acting up. It had FTE, FTF (feed) issues on the way to 400 and got progressively worse, until the last straw day was a box of 50 Remington Green box ball where every other strike was either light, or off to the side enough to not impact the primer "in the ignition zone".

It went to Kahr, was rebuilt, had some parts replaced and I put 250 rounds of various ball and JHP through it. THEN I settled in on three vendors products and did the 10/10/10.

Hence what I have is 280 rounds through it with some new parts and some parts that have 650 rounds logged. I then settled on three products I am confident with.

I have 100% confidence that it will run the 7 rounds out that are in the gun. With a bottom feeding side chucker, who knows on the next magazine.

That's why I prefer a revolver for most of my EDC needs.

That's why I prefer a Glock. Any gun of mine that did that would be for sale as soon as I got home and never shot/carried by me ever again.

Guest nosnos

My glock has never jammed or failed ever. Not once. On any ammo. My wife's Kahr is the same way. My KelTec 380 stovepiped once in the first 50 rounds. A few hundred through it since then without a hiccup. Never a failure from the XDm. Maybe I'm lucky?

It does seem like the occasional dud gets through with the kahrs. But after a couple hundred rounds? Weird....

YOU do understand what JMO means? I've been unlucky enough to HAVE to defend my life with a firearm, unfortunately more than once. I've earned the right to decide how much I'M willing to spend testing my SD ammo of choice in MY weapon of choice! That's why I served my country so that everyone has the right to work out there OWN salvation. Good luck on yours.

Guest nosnos
YOU do understand what JMO means? I've been unlucky enough to HAVE to defend my life with a firearm, unfortunately more than once. I've earned the right to decide how much I'M willing to spend testing my SD ammo of choice in MY weapon of choice! That's why I served my country so that everyone has the right to work out there OWN salvation. Good luck on yours.

Didn't mean to come off rude or anything. I swear. I apologize if I did. I do understand what JMO means. I figure if it's being posted on a forum it goes without saying that it's an opinion. Including what I post.

Of course, all my opinions are right... All the time. :tinfoil:

I'll take the Kahr out and put another 50 no 100 no 150 carry rounds downrange. Then I certainly will really feel confident that it will operate properly when called upon. :drool: No one knows with 100% certainty if the next time the trigger is pulled the handgun will operate. Confidence perhaps yes, perfect knowledge no.

Is it true that statistically the longer something runs without a misoperation the closer or more likely it is to having one?

I deal with complex system protection issues. Things like primary and backup, belt and suspenders, N-1 contingencies, parallel systems and risk assessment.

I am ok with MY Kahr as it stands. I simply related my experience, yours may be divergent.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=kahr+pm9+reliability&aq=0&oq=Kahr+PM9+reli&aqi=g2

Edited by DAdams
Guest nosnos

If I remember right from my college statistics class, no, the odds do not increase if the event is entirely random. Flipping a coin the odds are always 1 in 2 that it will come up tails. Even if you've flipped it 1000 times and gotten heads every time. The 1001th time you flip, the odds are still 1 in 2. Of course, firearm failures are typically not random.

Thanks everyone for the info, comments, and opinions.

As an update I did trade for for a very like new in box PM9

I love it so far with only 75 rounds.

A side comment. Most firearm failures or more so those related to an ammo issue happen due to operator error. (Just my opinion)

I have a Dan Wesson pm9 I bought new in about 2003. I don't carry it. It shoots great though. Man have those things gotten pricey!
Ummm, you understand that this thread is about the Kahr PM9?

- OS

:P Out of left field.

I am (and have been) curious about the PM9, and this thread has provided some good reading. Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bretticus

I hope mine doesn't fail. I still have yet to fire it, but I have the ammo ready. I had a horrible problem with a Sig p238, and I ended up sending it back, it was misfiring each and every time on the 2nd shot. It was repaired by the manufacturer, and was found to be a defective extractor. I hope that isn't the case with the PM9. I do know that if it works out, I will carry the pm9, which is only slightly larger than the Sig p238 with lots more stopping power.

I've read all the comments on this and have this to add/ask. I have a gun smith buddy who says that he won't own a kahr due to the fact that he had one come in with a cracked frame and because that with kahr, either you get a good gun or a lemon. And it happens more with kahr than with most other guns. I have been leaning toward the LCP because of it but would really rather have another 9mm. Any one else have this experience or is my buddy just biased. I hope my comments are on topic enough to not be "thread jacking".

Guest Farmer Dave

I have a PM9 a that I bought used. I have shot appx. 500-600 rounds from WWB to handloaded hollowpoints. Reliability has been great. Very accurate for such a small gun.