S&W Warranty?

Bubbatn

So I have about definitely decided that I want a M&P9c for my first gun. However, with the price of these guns....I am hoping to find a good deal on a used one. The only thing is that I just read on the S&W site, that their warranty is only good towards the original purchaser.

I was just wondering how you guys feel about this? Or if any of you have ever had to deal with S&W Warranty service? What do you guys think?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was the first & only owner, but my friend has a S & W 52 & he drop his gun & damaged his rear sight, he called S & W and they sent him a new one for FREE & he was the first owner.

Then neither example helped answer the OP's question at all.

------------

I've always heard that short of obvious abuse and whatnot, S&W is pretty good at fixing them through multi-owners, and that seems to be confirmed so far. Of course, other companies will do same, like Springfield, even though the XD warranty says "original retail purchaser" only. Even the Hi-Point warranty says "original owner" but of course HP will fix any and all guns, even the ones that have obviously been abused in whatever manner.

- OS

S&W just takes their time... and if your getting an M&P, and you shoot it much, you will for sure use the warranty :-)

Sorry David...

What do you mean? Are there problems with the M&P?
Yes, Please...Do tell. :bs:

The problem is they allow you to have a trigger free of mushiness and a pistol that fits your hand.

Having been a long time Glock guy and having switched to the M&P I'd say that it's superior handling and shooting-wise, and just as reliable as the Glock if what you're trying to say is that they are not... In a few short years the M&P has taken quite a bit of Glock's territory away for a reason.

From an engineering point of view, the way an M&P activates it's sear is light years beyond Glock's connector set-up... Since this won't change with the Gen 4 fans of a good trigger will continue to choose the M&P as the minor teething issues they had that Glockers whine about fade further into the rear-view as they take over more of the market.

Don't get me wrong... I love Glocks, and still envy how simple they are, but that's also part of the problem I have with them, when I first detail stripped an M&P and figured out how they work, their trigger design is real genius, reliable like a Glock but breaks sort of like a 1911... Well, that, and trying every possible spring/connector combo for a couple years trying to remove the mush from a Glock...:bs:

To answer the OP's question...I have had no issues sending in a pre-owned gun to them. They treated me no different than they did before with a gun that I was the original owner of. I think they have some of the best CS out there. They also pay for the shipping both to and from the factory. YMMV

Guys im not saying one guns better then another, all I know is we have sent our fair share of M&P's back to Smith. And no its a ton better gun then the Sigma, hell they cant even be good boat anchors. We have had this discussion before, this gun is no more then the old Kimber design they didnt want anymore. Smith & Wesson hasnt came out with their own semi auto designs in what 20-30 years??? I simply dont have any faith in any of their recent semi autos, they are cheaper copies of original designs by other companys like Glock, Walther, and the latest Kimber.

Find me someone thats gotten 10 thousand rounds, hell wait... lets start with a thousand out of an M&P without a problem. Some of the M&P's biggest supporters here on this board have already sent theirs back to S&W for warantee work.

Anyone that knows me will tell ya, I'll sell any of you whatever you want... but i'll also be brutally honest about a guns quality too. We will all know for certain one day. Maybe i'll be wrong, only time will tell.

I was just wondering how you guys feel about this? Or if any of you have ever had to deal with S&W Warranty service? What do you guys think?

I’ve owned and carried probably 100 Smith & Wesson handguns over 30 years. I have had to send a gun back once. I don’t know that they will warranty everything on a used gun, but they will warranty a lot. They also have excellent customer support that will be happy to discuss any issues with just a phone call.

I have owned 4 M&P’s. I owned a full size and a compact .40, sold them off to buy something else and then decided I wanted them back. I called Joe at Hero Gear and his price on new was less than some were asking here for used; that’s a no brainer.

To answer your questions…. Will S&W fix a used gun? I have not had the need to try it, but I have seen many posts on various forums by people that have done it. What do I think about their warranty service? Only had to send a gun back once and they sent me a paid shipping label and fixed it promptly. I have called them several times with questions and they have taken the time to fully discuss anything I needed.

Smith & Wesson makes the best handguns in the world. They got a black eye with the sigma (that’s why it is always brought up in an S&W thread) but they were trying to get a share of the bottom feeder market. Unfortunately they got it. :D

Shoot a PM to forum vendors before you buy used.

I've put hundreds of rounds through my M&P 40. It's never failed to operate perfectly. I have S&W Model 22A that had a recall. They paid shipping both ways and I had it back in a week. I was very impressed with their service.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the M&P. I wouldn't trade mine for two Glocks.

Find me someone thats gotten 10 thousand rounds, hell wait... lets start with a thousand out of an M&P without a problem. Some of the M&P's biggest supporters here on this board have already sent theirs back to S&W for warantee work.

I have 3 M&Ps. My first one went back to have the feed ramp polished because it wouldn't feed some JHP. They paid shipping and had it back within 10 days.

Now they all have over 2000 rounds through them and not one hiccup.

And I think Glock is copying the M&P with their back straps. So Glock knows a good design when they see one.

FWIW, I have not used their cs, but I was in Milwaukee WI. recently and my cousin's husband works for the city of Milwaukee police dept. They are finishing up retraining with the M&P 40 after changing from the Glock 22's. I asked about any problems mentioned in above posts and he said that they were very pleased with them and had no issues. They have officially adopted the S&W over the Glock.

Find me someone thats gotten 10 thousand rounds, hell wait... lets start with a thousand out of an M&P without a problem.

There's a guy named Don who kicks everybody's butt at the local IDPA matches with one, think he may have more than 10,000rds through one... you could ask him sometime after he gets done beating everybody at one of the matches...

I had one I put over 3000 through with no problems, and have put about 800 through one I just picked up used that had 600 or so through it, again no issues.

Edited by CK1
FWIW, I have not used their cs, but I was in Milwaukee WI. recently and my cousin's husband works for the city of Milwaukee police dept. They are finishing up retraining with the M&P 40 after changing from the Glock 22's. I asked about any problems mentioned in above posts and he said that they were very pleased with them and had no issues. They have officially adopted the S&W over the Glock.
At last count, at least 500 law enforcement agencies nationwide had gone to the M&P. Many, if not most, of them were replacing Glocks. They can't be all bad. Edited by USMCJG
At last count, at least 500 law enforcement agencies nationwide had gone to the M&P. Many, if not most, of them were replacing Glocks. They can't be all bad.

500, really??? Not..., sorry but those figures are very misleading. Last time I checked I thought there were around 1500-1600 law enforcement agencys nationwide, so what your saying is 30% of this nations police carry the S&W M&P??? Sorry but Im very politely call bullshiet.... ;-)

I can only think, off the top of my head, 10-20 agencys that "ISSUE M&P's FOR ON DUTY CARRY"

Smith is useing fuzzy math... "approved or adopted"

The key word is "approved"!!!! Doesnt mean they have switched. Most dept's have approved several different guns for some kind of use, it might not even be approved for "on duty" use. Most of those are for "off duty" by Dept's that dont really care what you carry off duty as long as you qualify with it. Those same dept. will allow their officers to carry a high point or keltec as well as numerous .22 cal pistols. Our very own Metro Nashville Police Dept "approves" the use of the Keltec 380 and Smith and Wesson Revolvers, but that doesnt mean anything.

Again, fuzzy wuzzy!

This is from S&W's website.

"To date, 570 domestic law enforcement agencies have adopted or approved the M&P for duty use while 251 domestic law enforcement agencies have approved or adopted the M&P15 rifle."

Hope it clears things up.

:screwy:

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
500, really??? Not..., sorry but those figures are very misleading. Last time I checked I thought there were around 1500-1600 law enforcement agencys nationwide, so what your saying is 30% of this nations police carry the S&W M&P??? Sorry but Im very politely call bullshiet.... ;-)

I can only think, off the top of my head, 10-20 agencys that "ISSUE M&P's FOR ON DUTY CARRY"

Smith is useing fuzzy math... "approved or adopted"

The key word is "approved"!!!! Doesnt mean they have switched. Most dept's have approved several different guns for some kind of use, it might not even be approved for "on duty" use. Most of those are for "off duty" by Dept's that dont really care what you carry off duty as long as you qualify with it. Those same dept. will allow their officers to carry a high point or keltec as well as numerous .22 cal pistols. Our very own Metro Nashville Police Dept "approves" the use of the Keltec 380 and Smith and Wesson Revolvers, but that doesnt mean anything.

Again, fuzzy wuzzy!

This is from S&W's website.

"To date, 570 domestic law enforcement agencies have adopted or approved the M&P for duty use while 251 domestic law enforcement agencies have approved or adopted the M&P15 rifle."

Hope it clears things up.

:)

May 21,2008, from here- Smith and Wesson M&P Pistols Adopted by More than 330 Police Departments: Latest Worcester, Mass PD in .45 ACP :: Blue Sheepdog

"To date, more than 330 police departments have issued the M&P pistol as the standard handgun in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. The newest department to adopt the M&P is the Worcester, MA Police Department."

Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this article. But it does quite clearly state that the M&P is issued as the standard sidearm in those 330+ departments(in May 2008). Also, a very quick, less than one minute google search returned many times more than the 10-20 departments that came off the top of your head. And, according to the US government, there were over 17,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States in 1993, not 1,200-1,600.;)

well I guess thats what I get for useing my head and not google, although I think I made my point. I still call BS on even 330. You have to understand Sig still has quite a following as well, so does the Springfield XD and H&k. So I guess time will tell.

Btw, Bubba my appologies for my being part of highjacking your thread I was just trying to give my input when the thread deviated from its original thoughts.

well I guess thats what I get for useing my head and not google, although I think I made my point. I still call BS on even 330. You have to understand Sig still has quite a following as well, so does the Springfield XD and H&k. So I guess time will tell.

Btw, Bubba my appologies for my being part of highjacking your thread I was just trying to give my input when the thread deviated from its original thoughts.

Yeah, sorry for the thread drift. But he started it.:):slapfight:
Guest Jeremey

:D

Here is another one of those elusive guys with well over a thousand rounds each through 2 M&Ps with absolutely no malfunction of the guns. I did have a couple rounds of reloads that did not want to chamber due to dented brass in my 9c. That was before I learned to reload my self. I love my M&Ps so much the Glock 23 hasnt been out of the safe in 2 years.

To the OP, while I have never had the need to use S&W's warranty, I would not fear purchasing a used M&P. If you are just set on the compact the 9c is a nice handgun, though I prefer my fullsize M&P 40.