Plated bullets in a Glock?

chipperi

I know lead in a glock is a big no no due to their weird rifling. But just out of curiosity can you use plated bullets? I would assume plated bullets are still fairly soft compared to jacketed, but I'm not sure, I have never used them in any of my guns.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know lead in a glock is a big no no due to their weird rifling. But just out of curiosity can you use plated bullets? I would assume plated bullets are still fairly soft compared to jacketed, but I'm not sure, I have never used them in any of my guns.

Chipperi:_________

We shoot a glock 33 (357 sig) with plated bullets with no problems. We order our bullets from Midway (or whoever has 'em now); 125 grain plated flat noses. Our practice handloads clock at about 1250 fps as measured with our CHRONY with no problems with leading or accuracy. It is a great practice load. The plated bullet manufacturers like Berry will tell you to load down a bit; but the bullets work fine.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas.

LEROY

I shoot lead, plated and jacketed thru my Glocks, no problem so far and I have shot thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo.

I usually load to around 950-1000 FPS for plated, depends on brand.

Lead I usually clean the bore after 50 rounds, seen no problems yet but I do use hard cast with good lube.

Plated bullets are fine in a Glock, IMHO. I have seen cases where the plating shears off in the bore at extreme velocities (like 1500+ fps) but you won't be anywhere near that in anything a standard Glock can shoot.

As with anything, I'd test thoroughly before I let loose hundreds of rounds at a time.

I do not own a glock but I have shot lead out of a lot of others . It will get a good bit of build up in the barrel . As long as you check it often it will be ok . As far as practice rounds WWB and FED are a few pennies more and you don't have to worry . JMHO

As others have said keep the barrel clean and you can shoot lead.plated or polymer coated through a Glock with no problems.Been doing it for almost 20 years and lost count of the rounds years ago but has to be over 50K through various Glocks.