RUGER MINI-30

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

You folks who have had them, or own them now...what are your thoughts?

I've read all about them on various sites, and the reviews are mixed. I do, however, prefer the idea of adding to my Ruger rifle stash. I'm certainly no expert on AK/SKS/M1 platforms, but I just like the looks of the Mini-30 for sure. I'm up to speed on the difficulty in finding hi-cap, reliable mags, and also some of the feeding problems they've had in the past.

I should add, I don't expect this rifle to be used for much more than goofing around. I don't intend to hunt with it primarily, though I might get the urge for sport. I don't intend for it to be dead-on accurate, as I understand that it fails in that department and the 7.62x39 round has inherent issues as such. It may see action in a SHTF situation (but who ever expects those). Also, I already have a .223/5.56 that I am happy with in an AR platform, so I'm wanting something different.

Interested in your thoughts?

Thanks. Talk amongst yourselves.

Edited by Bronker
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not heard great things about them even though it is a popular rifle.:koolaid: Me personally I'd get an AK especially since prices are WAY down. It will get you the best out of the x39 round, accessories and parts are widely available, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Ruger. Plus it's as "evil" as they come!

K-Var is selling great AK's at unheard of prices ATM. Bulgarian AKSSR-85 #AKAGUN-SSR also has some bulgy's at really good prices.

Guest Bronker
I've not heard great things about them even though it is a popular rifle.:koolaid: Me personally I'd get an AK especially since prices are WAY down. It will get you the best out of the x39 round, accessories and parts are widely available, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Ruger. Plus it's as "evil" as they come!

K-Var is selling great AK's at unheard of prices ATM. Bulgarian AKSSR-85 #AKAGUN-SSR also has some bulgy's at really good prices.

So, is the Bulgarian version the bee's knees?

What's the deal on WASR vs. Bulgarian vs. Russian vs. other? Where to start researching? It's all overwhelming.

Thanks for the info!

It depends on the build but generally speaking the K-Var guns are top notch. The Bulgy's are generally the best of the mid/low end. WASR's are fine if they are built right but are lower end. Russians are generally considered to be the best. Mainly becasue they are made on the original machinery by folks who have been doing it the longest. There are good things to be said about some of the Madi (Egyption), Radom/Polish, Mak90/Polytech versions but finding those are rare. Yugo's are really good but don't have chrome lined barrels. AMD's are Hungarian and solid but have odd furniture and a few unique quirks. It sounds more complicated than it is.

The thing to remember about AK's is that the one put together by the 10 year old in Africa is nearly identical to the one put together in Russia. It's not like an AR where machining, material, and precision make a big difference. IF something is croked or messed up with an AK you generally can make it right with a mallet.:koolaid:

If you get a well built AK it really won't matter if it is a Russian, Bulgy, Yugo, WASR, Hungarian, ect.

Go to the AKforum and you can get a better idea of what's out there.

Guest Bronker
It depends on the build but generally speaking the K-Var guns are top notch. The Bulgy's are generally the best of the mid/low end. WASR's are fine if they are built right but are lower end. Russians are generally considered to be the best. Mainly becasue they are made on the original machinery by folks who have been doing it the longest. There are good things to be said about some of the Madi (Egyption), Radom/Polish, Mak90/Polytech versions but finding those are rare. Yugo's are really good but don't have chrome lined barrels. AMD's are Hungarian and solid but have odd furniture and a few unique quirks. It sounds more complicated than it is.

The thing to remember about AK's is that the one put together by the 10 year old in Africa is nearly identical to the one put together in Russia. It's not like an AR where machining, material, and precision make a big difference. IF something is croked or messed up with an AK you generally can make it right with a mallet.:koolaid:

If you get a well built AK it really won't matter if it is a Russian, Bulgy, Yugo, WASR, Hungarian, ect.

Go to the AKforum and you can get a better idea of what's out there.

That's great information, pal. Thanks for taking the time to convey all of that. It helps alot. Of course now I have drifted from my own thread / OP. Oh well.

I'm finding some gently used Ruger 30's for around $500, and it appears that the higher-end AK's are going for about that. I do like the look of the Ruger synthetic stock / stainless barrel combo, but it appears you can achieve the same rig with an AK quite easily.

Decisions, decisions...I guess I owe it to myself to look into the SKS too!

Thanks again, Nate.

I like my mini-30 a lot. Reliable mags are easy to find these days. You can get 10 round promags for less than $20. Ruger factory 20rnd are less than $30.

The AR, SKS and AK guys hate the mini for some reason. The AR guys complain about accuracy (mine is scoped with a hogue overmold stock and shoots 3" MOA with russian ammo). The SKS guys complain about cost (SKS used to be $89 and minis were $450, today there's only anbout $100-150 diff). AK guys seem to be worried about cheap hicap mags and the end of the world (mini mags aren't cheap but they are available. When SHTF, I'd rather have a mini, than not).

As you can tell, I am a mini fan. I was not a fan when I picked one up, but I am now. The combination of price, quality of manuf, ergos, durability and reliability make it a winner.

Guest 5Legion

I currently own a dpms ar, converted saiga ak, ptr-91, and mini-30 in my "black rifle" collection. They all have a niche, but I love the mini-30. You can scope it, you can hunt with it, plink with it, use it for self defense. I recommend the new 580 series with the improved barrel - mine is much improved over the older 193 "thin" barrel. The mini is not an M1a, and it's no sniper rifle either, but it's good enough for almost everything the average joe like me needs.