Question...

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Do you all think that cops and firemen should get special treatment, discounts or maybe even handouts from businesses?

I work for a family owned business and I am always being asked if we give discounts to cops or firemen, and honestly it pisses me off. I don't think that they are any different than me. I do realize that there job is more dangerous,but when they applied for that job they knew what they were getting into. It just seems that they abuse there job title for all the wrong reasons. What do you think??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
If I owned a business I would most likely give discounts to them as well as the folks in the military.

Guys in the military make a hell of lot less than cops and firemen do. To answer the OP, no I don't.

And I also don't think off-duty cops should have any more privileges than a HCP holder does as to where they're allowed to carry. That really pisses me off.

Guest Verbal Kint

While I've never once asked if I could receive a discount due to my military status, I greatly appreciated every instance where a store or individual offered such gratitude. Offers like that, and someone simply saying "thanks for what you do", are of far greater value than you probably realize.

We don't do what we do for the paycheck... cuz honestly the pay sucks... and the hardships of family life, daily sacrifices, risk of health and life, etc... all take their toll. We do it because it's something we believe in down to our soul and we're willing to voluntarily take up arms to defend our beliefs and country. And we don't do it for the 10% discount that stores might offer... although that does make us feel very good and does help offset that ****ty pay check.

If you don't think you're any different than those serving on a line somewhere far away from their home and loved ones, putting their life on the line every second they wear that uniform, you might want to think about enlisting... this country needs all the good men and women it can get.

Do I think businesses NEED to offer said discount? Not at all. Do I appreciate the ones that do? Absolutely. Do I take offense at your statement that we abuse our job title for the wrong reasons and we're no different than someone making copies at Kinkos? Absolutely. But there's the beauty of it... because of what we do, you're free to decide and do whatever you want. :)

Guys in the military make a hell of lot less than cops and firemen do. To answer the OP, no I don't.

And I also don't think off-duty cops should have any more privileges than a HCP holder does as to where they're allowed to carry. That really pisses me off.

i think off-duty leo's should be able to carry any and everywhere

Guest Verbal Kint
i think off-duty leo's should be able to carry any and everywhere

+1

A cop is a cop. On or off the clock, he/she is still sworn to protect and uphold. Just cuz they've been off shift for 2 hrs, and buying their own groceries, when the place gets robbed... doesn't mean they'll just sit there and do nothing. Plenty of reasons for them to go armed at all times, as they are a responder and sworn law officer.

I think a police officer should be able to carry his/her gun at all times, regardless of location.

Sorry for the further thread hi-jack. :D

What Verbal said....................

If I'm in uniform, and I am offered a discount, I accept gratefully and I appreciate it.

If I'm in uniform, and not offered a discount, I pay what they say and move on. There's no "WTF ? Where's my discount ?!!?"

Do I expect a discount ? NO. Do I appreciate the occasional courtesy ? Yes. When I accept one, do I feel like (as you do) that I am "abusing my job title" ? No, I don't.

When I signed up for this job, my overriding thought wasn't "Man, I am sooooo gonna rack up on that sweet 10% off at Captain D's !" :D

It's your family business. You don't want to offer a LE/Fire/EMS/Military discount ? Then don't. It's not a tough decision.

Guest logicprevails

Public servants such as police, fire, military and ems work for low pay and often long shifts often in not the most hospitable environments. Most likely don't 'expect' a discount, but appreciate it when offered. I'm sure there are a few idjits in all of the above mentioned that have some degree of entitlement mentality. Personally, I'd like to see the list of persons generally viewed as 'discount-worthy' by the world to include sanitation and sewer workers. Think about it. How often do you need a cop, fire, ems? How often do you need your refuse removed or your toilet to flush. How urgent is it to you when these things don't happen as expected?

Absolutely they should get discounts if the business owner so desires.

I also think off duty LEO should be able to carry anywhere. (Unless they are drinking alcohol)

Guest Drewsett

I used to manage a large chain restaurant and offered my employee discount (25%) to any active duty military, LEO, or fireman/woman that happened to dine in my restaurant. I saw it as not only as a small way to thank those that protect us, but also a wise investment. LEO's, soldiers, and firefighters DO talk to one another and when I give a discount to one (5-10 bucks in cost to me) I gain far more than that in new business.

It's called return on investment

While it's not required nor expected, we all know catering to cops keep them coming back. In today's society I would want as many cops around my retail establishment as I could get. if that meant enticing them with a discount, so be it.

Even though it's their chosen profession... We all know these types of jobs don't pay squat. personally if I had a business I would offer a discount to public service and military.

When I went to work for the Sheriff here, one thing that was made clear to me was that while I might be "off the clock" so to speak, as long as I carried that badge and commission card I was never off duty.

Sorry, but law enforcement isn't a profession where you have certain hours, then you're not a cop again until the next day. And that fact is probably the main reason that divorce, substance abuse, and stress-related problems are so high for LEOs.

As to the discounts... as has been said, it's not expected by most. Appreciated yes, but not expected.

J.

I can understand feeling pissed off being asked if you give a discount. I work in the music industry and EVERYONE ALWAYS want a discount. If I did that I'd give discounts until I'm working for free living in a ditch. People who ask for discounts for no reason suck. Anyone who thinks they're OWED a discount for any reason suck. That's what I say. I want a discount because I've never stolen. I want a discount because I work 70 hour weeks. I want a discount because I have great looks. Because my looks are crap. I WANT A DISCOUNT!!!! :D

If you want to offer it, offer it. Retail is rough. Profit margins are next to nothing in order to compete with big box. If you can't give a discount, don't do it. If you want to, do it. Run your business however you want and if it's a good model you'll survive. If not, maybe you should have given more discounts. :D

The OP makes it sound like he's being asked regularly by LEO's and firefighters if there's a discount. He's being ASKED. What's up with that? It's so tacky to ASK for a discount...

Edited by nosnos
Guest HexHead
We all know these types of jobs don't pay squat.

Don't pay squat?

METRO NASHVILLE POLICE

"Making a Difference Every Day"

Always Hiring

$33,000 to $43,000 Annually Depending on Entry Level

Not bad for a first year rookie.

Have you drove around nashville? I sure as hell wouldn't do it for that pay. so to me that's squat!

Metro pays on the high end, and from what I hear they're more picky than most departments about who they hire. A couple of our guys went to them several years back, and almost didn't get hired, even after several years of already being on the job.

One way or the other, I doubt Metro hires very many rookies at $43,000 a year. And what works out to about $15.85 an hour really isn't enough to put up with what they have to deal with, in my opinion.

J.

Guest bkelm18

When I was in the military, discounts were graciously appreciated, but I never once asked for one. If the establishment wants to give a discount for public servants, then that's fine, but I don't think the LEOs/Firefighters/Military should go around asking for them. To me it kinda degrades the image of the service member by asking for a discount.