Gas to propane conversions?

dralarms

Anyone ever do one? I have a 10 HP 5000 watt generator thatI'm tired of trying to keep running because of a bad carb. I'm looking for someone with experiance with these to either convert it for me or tell me which kit you bought and if you would do it again.

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I've never done a conversion, I work on a lot of propane powered equipment.

You'll still need the carb with a conversion. Most of the stuff I work on is essentially a gasoline engine, with a fuel regulator that feeds into the original carb. Probably be cheaper to rebuild or replace your carb and stick to gasoline. Rebuilding one is reasonably simple, and the last rebuild kits I've bought were under $20.00.

Let me restate my delima, if you crank the engine (pull crank mind you) it will not start. If I spray fuel into the throat of the carb it fires off and runs great until the fuel runs out. I can sit there all day and spray a little at a time and it runs like a champ. I just spent 200.00 (2 summers ago) to have the carb rebuilt since it would not run properly, after I got it back it ran great, parked it in the barn, went to use it 3 or 4 months later and it would not run. I don't have the timeor energy to try and keep rebuilding the carb every other month. I want something relaible that I can go out, turn the fuel on, and crank it up.

I found a "kit" on line for 157.00, seems like a lot but it elimates the carb (or the web site says you can not go back to gas unless you buy another carb). This is what I want but I was trying to see if anyone else has tried this.

When you store the generator, are you just shutting it down and putting it away, or are you draining the fuel, or doing anything else special? You'll have the same problem with propane if it sits and rarely gets used.

I'd recommend fixing the carb, then starting it every week or so. Maybe put some Stabil in the gas tank. The next best option is to run it out of fuel before you put it away, that way the old gas doesn't gunk up and cause problems. The only problem then, is that the lack of fuel can allow moisture to get into places and cause corrosion.

What brand and model of engine is it? I can't imagine what could cost 200 bucks to rebuild on any average small engine carb. Also, what kit are you looking at? Since you say it won't allow you to return to gasoline without a new carb, that makes me think that you have to permanently alter your current one, probably by drilling and tapping it to connect the propane hose. That will still require the carb to be functioning correctly in order to work.

Edited by 56FordGuy

You'll loose 15-20 % power if you convert to LP. I had a neighbor who converted his pickup and car back during the gas crunch of the 1970s and he was not happy with the power loss with the LP.

I had a propane powered genset in a motorhome that was rated at 6KW on LP and 7KW on gasoline. My biggest problem on that mobile unit was the oil that is in the bottom of the propane tank causing deterioration to the diaphrams in the propane regulators. The oil would probably not be a problem in small portable tanks where it is in a mobile tank.

I would think long and hard before I converted.......but that is me.

Gasoline of current makeup will go bad rather quickly even if you use Stabil or other preservative.

If you want to meet some where in Athens on Sat bring the genset and I'll take a look at it and won't charge you anything but parts. I'll PM my phone number.

oldogy

There are kits out there that will allow you to switch back and forth but they usually cost more than a kit that won't. Like in this link

A and C Propane Natural Gas Conversion Kits

Their A kit($157) won't allow you to switch back and forth. Their C kit($187) will.

I know nothing about the site in this post. Just was the first thing that popped up in a google search

That's actually the one I found as well.

You'll loose 15-20 % power if you convert to LP. I had a neighbor who converted his pickup and car back during the gas crunch of the 1970s and he was not happy with the power loss with the LP.

I had a propane powered genset in a motorhome that was rated at 6KW on LP and 7KW on gasoline. My biggest problem on that mobile unit was the oil that is in the bottom of the propane tank causing deterioration to the diaphrams in the propane regulators. The oil would probably not be a problem in small portable tanks where it is in a mobile tank.

I would think long and hard before I converted.......but that is me.

Gasoline of current makeup will go bad rather quickly even if you use Stabil or other preservative.

If you want to meet some where in Athens on Sat bring the genset and I'll take a look at it and won't charge you anything but parts. I'll PM my phone number.

oldogy

I appreciate the offer, tomorrow isn't going to be good for me but I will be in touch.

Maybe converting to lp is not the best option, and no I don't take it out and run it like I should, from day 1 it's been a sore spot with me. I bought it used it 2 times (once to prewire a house, and then to work on mine before I got power turned on). After that it sat in the building for about 6 mo. went to use it and it was bone dry (I know you are not supposed to leave fuel in them) dang thing had a busted tank, bad blo molding fromthe factory.

When I said I spent 2 bills getting it fixed I may not have been as accurate as I could have been. Some one (not saying who) left it out of the building with a piece of wood covering it. Well that didn't work real well and had to have the tank, lines, and everything else flushed. and the carb either rebuilt or replaced, can't remember which, I know it ran great when I first got it back (for the 1 time I used it).

I bought it for emergency power for the house, got a plug to plug it in to the house if we loose power for too long of period so no I don't run it like I should.

And yes the gas you buy today is crappy, but what you gonna do? if you keep just a small amount on hand then if the "blizzard of 93" repeats it's self then you get 2 or 3 hrs of run time and then cold dark city:rolleyes:. If you keep 10 or 20 gals on hand for emergencys then it goes bad in a short while. Can't win for loosing. That's why I thought lp, I keep 3 or 4 of the 20lb tanks handy and they don't go bad. If I loose a little then I'm still gaining since I can get it started when I need to.:rolleyes:

Guest Muttling

I bought it for emergency power for the house, got a plug to plug it in to the house if we loose power for too long of period so no I don't run it like I should.

From your posts, I gather that you are versed in wiring up a house. That said, this is worth noting and I hope you don't take offense if you're already aware.

Connecting a generator to your household wiring system can be exceptionally dangerous to linemen working to restore your power. You need to disconnect your house's incoming electrical feed before running the house's electrical system off a generator. If you don't, your generator will energize the electrical lines from a source that the linemen don't know about and could get one of them electrocuted.

i went propane after the 93 storm. got tired of trying to keep gasoline fresh. converted a fairly large military gen. to propane. be careful where u buy the propane parts. i had quotes as high 800 bucks for just the carb. i began to find out who my "friends" were. it is just a little hard to start when cold but think that is due to the low compression of the engine. a squirt of ether takes care of that. i did mine for less than 600 bucks and that included a 500 gallon propane tank.

From your posts, I gather that you are versed in wiring up a house. That said, this is worth noting and I hope you don't take offense if you're already aware.

Connecting a generator to your household wiring system can be exceptionally dangerous to linemen working to restore your power. You need to disconnect your house's incoming electrical feed before running the house's electrical system off a generator. If you don't, your generator will energize the electrical lines from a source that the linemen don't know about and could get one of them electrocuted.

No offense taken. No one is allowed to hook it up but me and I know to throw the main before plugging in my unit.

Thanks for the warning though.

I did the tri-fuel conversion from the site listed above. Took about an hour to complete, I would imagine it would be quicker to do an LP only conversion.

My only complaint is that it is a bit harder to start running LP only, I suspect that I just don't have the right technique yet.

As far as the carb going bad with gas, I run my generator once a month for about 15 min, and keep stabil in the gas. I've had my generator for about 2 years and on gas it always starts on the first pull.