Gun Show Carry Etiquette

Guest db99wj

Me, my 5 year old son, Father In law and brother in law are probably going to go to a gun show on Sunday and was wondering about any rules. I haven't been to one in years.

I know this sounds like an easy answer but I still have to ask because I don't want to get there and have to lock it up in the car. This show is in Memphis at the Midsouth Fairgrounds and the area is not that great. I could see a lot of cars being broken into there. The 'hood is just south of the area.

Can you carry into these shows?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN

I do know, that a friend of mine went to the gun show in Jackson and they had him open his slide and put a cable tie in it, to prevent it from being loaded, etc. But he didn't have a THCP! So Im gonna say not sure on that one. It being a place full of guns, it would be ok. But it would best to check first!

At the Gun show all guns have to unloaded and they do check at the door for loaded guns and loaded mags. Bob Pope gun show will put a tie strap in your gun to show it has been checked but the Bill Goodman does not. About 3 or 4 years ago at the Bob Pope gun show someone had a AD, somebody was selling a glock and handed to the prospective buyer and told him it was unloaded and he pulled the trigger and BOOM, luckily nobody got hurt.

At the Gun show all guns have to unloaded and they do check at the door for loaded guns and loaded mags. Bob Pope gun show will put a tie strap in your gun to show it has been checked but the Bill Goodman does not. About 3 or 4 years ago at the Bob Pope gun show someone had a AD, somebody was selling a glock and handed to the prospective buyer and told him it was unloaded and he pulled the trigger and BOOM, luckily nobody got hurt.

I remember that AD. I was about 20 feet from the door when it happened.

• Administrator

I wear my carry gun everywhere, even to gun shows. The last Bob Pope show I went to, I unloaded the weapon prior to exiting my car and stuck the full mag into my off-hand mag holder. They put an orange zip-tie on the trigger guard to show that it had been checked.

The loaded mag stayed with me the entire time. I figure bad guys know that good guys are going to be carrying weapons and cash into and out of these shows, so going unarmed was out of the question for me. As soon as I left the show, the mag went back in and I racked the slide.

Guest MemphisReason

Technically, their signs do not conform to the law, so if you want to carry, carry.

http://www.rrmemphis.com/law014.html

Please note that the sign must contain the exact lettering you see on that site in the correct size to be legal. It may seem like just a technicality, but it's there for a reason.

If you are taking your carry weapon into the building to be sold or examined, you should definitely follow the posted sign so that no ND is possible, otherwise, keep your gun on you and loaded.

The area isn't that great, but it's not extremely bad either. Considering the nature of the event, I doubt there would be much crime there, if any. I haven't heard of any robberies at this particular gun show.

I remember that AD. I was about 20 feet from the door when it happened.

I was there too. I was about in the middle of the show right up from the front door. I remember the whole place fell silent.

db99wj,

I would go ahead and carry into the show. I've seen people carrying unloaded firearms in holsters at every gun show I've ever been to.

The worst they can do is turn you away.

• Administrator
Technically, their signs do not conform to the law, so if you want to carry, carry.

http://www.rrmemphis.com/law014.html

Please note that the sign must contain the exact lettering you see on that site in the correct size to be legal. It may seem like just a technicality, but it's there for a reason.

Yep. We had to visit an outpatient surgery center in a particularly shady part of town last week. They had a decal on the window that said "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED". That's all. Nothing else. I sat beneath that sign for over two hours with the XD nestled snugly up to my ribs, beneath my sweat shirt.

Not only was their sign not in accordance to the law, but I didn't notice any metal detectors as I came into or exited the building.

The other thing is, I don't know too many criminal thugs who will let a little technicality like a sticker or a sign stop them from coming into a building either. Those signs just tell them that they have a moderately good chance that no one inside is going to be armed.

Well, almost no one.

PS: I realize that a lot of gun owners are also fans of property rights. My only response there is that your rights end where mine begin, and I have the right to stay alive.

Going tomorrow myself. Look for me I'l be the tall guy wearing a Black SSS Tactical Division shirt. Name's Charles, if you see me come say hello. I'll probably be arguing with someone about a gun price lol.

I will look for you.

Not asked, didn't tell, stayed concealed, no problem.

I didn't see SSSTactical, but there was quite a few people there, we only stayed an hour and a half. No real good deals, my Father in law did find an Ithaca 1911 slide that he has been looking for, for awhile now. He has a Colt slide on the Ithaca, but it has a chip out of it and well it is a Colt. Doesn't match the Ithaca frame. He paid $100. With that he might have just made his Ithaca worth about $1800 if all the small parts are Ithaca.

My 5 year old had a freak'n ball. He loved it.