M&P .45

Guest 10mm4me

Since we're on the topic, I have a Remington Nylon 66 .22 (best .22 ever made by the way)that has been dry fired countless times because after the last round it dry fires if u pull the trigger, the bolt does not lock back, it has not broken. The gun is over 30yrs old. I would say it has been dry fired at a min of 1000x over the last 30 yrs.Your argument is garbage. Give some proof, as I have done, or please just quit responding.

10mm4me, I had a Ruger Single-Six that I put well more than 300,000 rounds through, and dry fired quite a bit ( recessed chambers, so the pin didn't hit anything ). At 250,000 rounds, thereabouts, the transfer bar broke off. I replaced it, and put the remainder of the rounds through it, then sold it.

The point? Things break. Sometimes not very often, but anything made of metal can and will build up stresses over time, and eventually give up the ghost. All it takes is hitting the part enough times.

As for Uncle Sam having you dry fire an M-16... Hell, if it breaks, they'll just issue you another one, at tax payer's expense, so they don't give a crap if a minor part breaks occasionally. Or even a major part, for that matter.

It's not quite the same with an individual's personal weapons though... they have to fix that :confused: themselves.

It makes a difference.

J.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the Army I saw a Beretta m-9's hammer crack right in half. I don't know the story behind it but I always heard fireing the weapon with the slide removed would/could damage the hammer.

Edited by Patton
spelling
I am not saying things don't break.I am saying that when they break it is because they are worn out, not because someone dry fired.

The thing you seem to be missing is that some practices cause parts to "wear out" sooner than they ordinarily would. Also, some machines are better designed than others, and will take certain stresses without damage... Others are designed to do only one particular task, under a given set of circumstances, and deviating from that will cause an early failure of some part or the other.

In other words, all center-fire pistols or rifles are not created equal. Some shrug off massive amounts of dry firing, some won't. And unless you're very familiar with the design, and exactly how it works, you're better off to err on the side of caution.

J.

Getting back to the original topic:

I can speak definitively as far as comparing the M&P45 to your typical 1911, because that's all that I have (an M&P45 and 6 1911s). I carry my M&P45 daily - it's dead-reliable, accurate, and packs the punch that an EDC should.

Anyone saying that "A .45 needs to be all-steel" - you need to get with the program. I also carry/actively shoot my 1911s as often as I can. I will tell you that a .45 DOES NOT have to be steel. There is nothing wrong with a properly-designed/quality plastic .45. This kind of old-school thinking is the same as saying, "Well, a 9mm isn't a good defensive round..." to me - it makes zero sense, and I often hear it from my grandad's friends who are stuck on .45 stuff 24/7. :o

I carry whatever I want, when I want, from Government-sized "Church" guns to defensive/CQC 1911s, to Commander 1911s, and I choose my M&P when I'm going out of town, somewhere unfamilar, and feel that I would like to have the 3 extra rounds just in case. As I mentioned - it's dead-reliable, easily stripped/cleaned, and accurate. It's not the prettiest gun (better looking than a Glock, any day of the week), but appearance and aestetics are all opinion.

Point is - the gun *works*, it's affordable, and very resiliant to EDC abuse and even neglect.

Wholeheartedly agree, tonight it is a Mosin Nagant with the bayonet extended.

Hope you got the cosmo out of it.:D

Dry firing a centerfire weapon cannot hurt that weapon. It is physically impossible.When the striker hits a round, it is impacting brass,when dry fired, it strikes air.The day air is harder than brass is the day I open a floating waterpark on the moon.This argument is old,stupid,and has been misproven many times over, many years ago.Your striker may indeed have broken while dry firing, but it was not because of dry firing.

It happens to be the way the striker hits the frame without a shell being present, and yes it happens.

I don't dry fire anything but that is MY preference. Don't call me stupid for buying snap caps, the is also my preference.

If you have dry fired your glock over 1000 times with out breaking anything, great, more power to you but stop with the "holier than thou" attidude with the rest of us. No reason to "talk down" to someone just because you disagree with them.

:lol::rolleyes:

I am not saying things don't break.I am saying that when they break it is because they are worn out, not because someone dry fired.

What about the fella who bought a M&P, sat in his living room and dry fired it around 300 times and broke the striker? He never shot it the first time so it was not "worn out".

Fact of the matter is the striker in the M&P hits hard and they have been known to break from "excessive" dry firing.

that said now back on topic.

Get the M&P 45C, best of both worlds. and if you are worried about lack of rounds, get a couple of 45 mags (yes they will stick out some) and throw them in the car for backup.

Edited by dralarms

10MM4ME, for the love of god do us all a favor and go dry fire your Glock 19 and shut up. Everyone has their own views on this matter, This form was designed to share ideas and to help others instead of thelling everyone how they are wrong and you are "The Man".

10MM4ME, for the love of god do us all a favor and go dry fire your Glock 19 and shut up. Everyone has their own views on this matter, This form was designed to share ideas and to help others instead of thelling everyone how they are wrong and you are "The Man".

:screwy:.......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree, However, I see, especially on here, people with these high $ 1911's w/all these crazy problems.I never here of a G21 or an FNP or a M&P acting up as much as I here of all the trouble or potential trouble a 1911 has.I just could not spend $600-$1200 on a 1911, have it act up, and be cool. I would be furious.The only 1911 I never hear anything bad about is the original 1911 A-1 made by Colt, and they don't make those anymore.

I have must have missed something, exactly who on this forum has had a crazy problem with a high end 1911?

Edited by willis68

Wow, talk about threads going off topic! For what it is worth at this point, I love 1911's and the M&P 45. I own and shoot both. (both made by S&W). As much as I love the 1911, for personal protection, I go with the M&P. You just can't beat 21st century technology for reliability. The ejection port is HUGE and the extractor is massive. A couple of extra rounds doesn't hurt either. The only downside I see to the M&P is that the width makes it a little harder to conceal than the slimmer 1911. BTW, I put a Hogue slip on grip on my M&P and love it. It absorbs recoil and reduces muzzle climb. There are other good .45's out there, but if the M&P works for you, don't hesitate to buy.