Logging your shoots

analog_kidd

I was just wondering, how many people log their time at the range? I notice that many of the users here know exactly how many rounds they've fired from which gun. With a couple of guns and frequent visits to the range, I can see how that information would get forgotten.

If you do log your shoots, what information do you write down?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
I just log, date, how many, brand, type of ammo(JHP, FMJ etc,) problems or any other notations.

Yep, I started doing this same thing with my Kimber today. It was the first few rounds (180, to be exact) that I've shot through it... so I made sure to pick up a small notebook to record the information above.

You could even go as far as recording your grouping, score of hits in the certain rings (most silhouette targets have this information in the upper corner anyway), etc... but I'm not getting that fancy with mine. Just using it as a log to record the number of shots taken, ammo used, and any problems with the gun/ammo... so I can see if patterns develop or not.

Logging such information is a very good idea, IMO. Also acts as a reminder on when to pull maintenance on your guns... replacing recoil springs, firing pin springs, mainsprings, etc... based on the manufacturer's recommendation. :rolleyes:

I just shoot until I'm out of ammo or time. Or until my Glock goes kaboom, whichever comes first. I don't chronicle any of my other tool's histories, so I really don't see much point for me. :rolleyes: I guess I could see it if you're running thousands of rounds and want to change springs and other wear items at a particular count.

Guest gcrookston

I don't log, per se, but I keep dope books.

I keep a dope book for each of my long range target rifles, noting my scope setting with regards to atmospheric conditions, altitude, ammuntion and I also keep a round count to estimate barrel life.

For instance: with my M1a1, I know that M118 @ 6,320' in 70 degree, 30% rh needs 15 clicks down from zero @ 500 yrds vs. my "zero" set at 86' @ 80degrees, 60% rh. These two locations are where I have done most of my shooting (Colorado/Louisiana/Maryland).

I also know that when switching from M118 to 168gr Gold Medal Match @ 1,000yrds I need to adjust up 9 clicks to obtain the same zero in Colorado and 7 clicks @ sea level.

When I go shooting this weekend outside of Bowling Green, I'll be recording my dope for additional reference (I'm going to start with my dope from Ortonville - 920' - which should put me pretty close to their 800').

Refering to my dope book prevents me from wasting shots sighting in for a particular location and condition.

I like to log the date, how many rounds, what type of ammo etc. I also note if something of exception happens.

Or until my Glock goes kaboom, whichever comes first.

Oy, here we go again. Dotson ever stirring the pot. I am laughing considering what happened to some other thread.