Primers explode in press ?

Wanted to hear from veteran reloaders about primers going in backwards and being crushed sideways in brass. I'm new at using Dillon 650 and loading .45 acp at the moment, I have had approx. dozen or more of these out of 1200 + rounds made and have been wondering when one is going to explode and what to expect? Besides :poop:ing my pants. What kind of damage will this cause? Thanks for your comments, S.S.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get an upside down one once in a blue moon but it was probably from a dropped primer tube or just a dumb mistake not lining up the tube properly when filling up the machine. If the machine is adjusted right you should not get side ways and crushed primers.

Is it a new machine? I had to replace the indexing ring and indexing block at about 70-100k. It was crushing primers and just not lining them up in the pockets. If yours is new you will need to adjust the indexing block probably. Dillon will send you a little adjuster to help in this if you don't already have one.

Oh I almost forgot, if the primer station locator tab is not adjusted properly you can get this too. There is a little set screw that moves the tab. I like to adjust mine just so it is making contact with the case with very little pressure on the case. Dillon says to adjust it to where you are contacting the case and then back off to where there is a space about the width of a piece of paper between the tab and the case. This allows the case a little wiggle room so the primer will find the hole.

Hope this helps.

I have put several in backwards and later pressed them back out. Just be gentle and don't slam your press into the primer and you should be fine....do not take this as gospel, YMMV. Exploding primers are not the responsibility of this poster- deprime at your own risk.

Guest colrmccoll

I recently had one to go off. It was sideways in the primer pocket. The ONLY one I have ever had go off in several hundred thousand reloads. I used to shoot IPSC.

I have had them upside down and sideways before but no ignition in the press. BTW Dillon 550 and I am sure it was my fault.

However, this just illustrates that one should always wear safety glasses. No exceptions.

I set 1 off once loading .45 on my Dillon 550

a bit of media got onto the primer cup probably when I decapped,.. then a primer was fed onto said primer cup ,..seat and POP set my ear to ringing but otherwise nothing else as the primer mag tube is far enough away and the primers energy is directed up... a bright flash which you will see in your vision much like looking at a bright flashlight... but no "earth shattering bench wrenching press ripping" problems

+1 on the safety glasses I actually use a pair of raquetball glasses I also wear when I go hunting( on my way out to my location errant tree branches etc.) eyes are hard to fix I hear..

sideways and backwards primers, I could fill a coffee can especially when you forget to swage or remove crimps on old military rifle cases, I usually wait until the end of the session after the press has been de-powdered and go slow and decap with no problems so far then decrimp pocket and set to next batch

IPSC here also colrmccoll also lots of PPC and Bullseye reloads for handgun, wish I had documented how many rounds in 20+ years....

John

Backwards and or sideways usually traces back to a dirty or misadjusted primer slide or an uneven press stroke on my RL450 +

Edited by LngRngShtr

Is your bench bolted to the wall? Is the casefeeder support tube also attached at all?

The number one cause of this in a 650 is a machine on a bench that isn't solid as granite. My bench is 250-300 pounds, and has over 150 feet of 2x4 used in it's construction. It's massive. And bolting it to the wall *still* cut down my jams by a factor of five.

Main thing I do need to do is stablize the press bench it does shake, and slowing down has helped alot, cycle smooth continuous motion. Keeping press even cleaner.

Wearing my safety glasses, enjoying reloading more everyday. Will advise if I get a primer explosion.

Thank you all for your help. S.S.