What about people like me in a SHTF situation?

Hate to say it but many people will die with out Meds.To tell the truth it would be very hard to stock pile most of it as it is dated.

I am not on any meds ,knock wood and Thank God for that as I am 42.My son is a free bleeder and right now takes factor 8 iv every other day to boost his clotting factor.The factor 8 needs refrigeration and only has a self life of a couple months.No stocking piling possible as this stuff is 1.77 per unit and his dose at 12 YO is 988 units every other day.At least if he can not take it he can be very careful to avoid any joint bleeds,involves not moving around at all except maybe for easy walking.My wife is on blood pressure,water pill and a few others,most all except the blood pressure I think she could do without.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people worry about food and water, and certainly they should.

The last few weeks made me think "what about a dentist". If you have a tooth go south and there is no electricity or your neighbor is not a dentist you are screwed.

This is currently one of my biggest fears in a shtf situation.

Guest ogreabroad

First off, best of luck... our prayers are with you!

Ill start out by stating i have no pharmaceutical training, and have no idea if these suggestions might work...

Granted, this would not work for everyone's meds but...

Just thinking outside the box... but are there any organic supplements which could be more easily manufactured/taken? Are there parts of an animal which could be eaten? Again, I have no idea... just thinking... but is the chemical output of say, a pig, similar to ours? Could you eat an animal's thyroid to replace some of what you lose by having yours removed?

Again... I am ignorant here... and looking for input myself... if anyone knows why these would or would not work, please chime in.

... If you have a tooth go south and there is no electricity ...

Electricity?

Dental stuff would be big, though.

Abscessed tooth can kill ya, and kicker than many think.

Assuming it's where you can see it, knife or needle to drain it.

If under tooth or in root, pliers and pain would be about the only option. And God forbid it breaks off during extraction.

- OS

Abscessed tooth can kill ya, and quicker than many think.

A tooth root infection is nothing to mess with. And I can't believe for a minute that Tom Hanks did not die on that deserted island.

Anybody know of a book for do it yourself dentistry?