Got a new one

Branket

Well I traded in my Sig today and got a brand new S&W 642 and some goodies for it. I was looking for something small that I could drop into a jacket pocket during the winter and I think I made a good choice. I looked at a couple Kel-Tec's PF-9 and P3AT and the smith just felt better to me so I got it. This is my first wheelgun so I have some serious practice shooting to do (the trigger is pretty heavy). Pics and range report to follow shortly.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got a chance to put some lead through it yesterday and I think I did alright.

First off the gun is pretty light so the recoil is very noticeable, not that it was too much to handle but it was quite a change from the Kimber. I had trouble at first with my follow through and reigning in the recoil.

I was shooting a B-27 silhouette and at 3 yards I put all of the shots inside the 9 ring or better, at 7 yards I put most inside the 8 with two shots finding their way to the 7. I know this particular gun wasn't built to be a tack driver so I'm happy with my results. I only put 100 rounds through it (50 at each distance) and I'm sure I can bring the groups in with some practice.

Unsolicited advice, worth what you're paying for it:

grip the gun as high up the backstrap as you can. This will reduce recoil. Grip it as tightly as you can to gain control. Try practicing with HBWC loads. For further out shots try staging the trigger.

Enjoy. They aren't fun guns to shoot really. This is why I sometimes discourage people from getting them as a first gun. But they are the gold standard for carry and ECQB.

Unsolicited advice, worth what you're paying for it:

grip the gun as high up the backstrap as you can. This will reduce recoil. Grip it as tightly as you can to gain control. Try practicing with HBWC loads. For further out shots try staging the trigger.

Enjoy. They aren't fun guns to shoot really. This is why I sometimes discourage people from getting them as a first gun. But they are the gold standard for carry and ECQB.

I held it as high up and as tight as could. Forgive my ignorance but what does HBWC stand for? I'll try staging the trigger for the longer shots next time.

I definitely didn't buy it for fun range trips, just want to make sure I can hit what I'm trying to with reasonable accuracy if need be.

Thanks for the tips.