Is this a new tactic? Playing dead?

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

Drug deal goes sour, bullets fly, undercover Memphis officers escape

An undercover Memphis police officer met a crack dealer at the trunk of a 2005 Ford for what looked to be a routine drug sale.

BERNARD-FRAZIER_t160.jpg Bernard Frazier

XAVIERA-OLIVER_t160.jpg Xaviera Oliver

Nothing that followed was routine.

Within seconds, police said, the dealer and a 16-year-old boy pulled guns, demanded money and discovered the officer's recording device before firing a flurry of shots at the officer and his partner.

2009 Crime Series

inline.jpg

The officers escaped, one playing dead in a ditch while the other diverted attention from his partner. Neither was injured.

Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said the officers didn't shoot back because they were concerned about hitting a 11/2 -year-old baby who was in the Ford.

Three suspects, Bernard Frazier, 23; Xaviera Oliver, 27; and Michael Young, 16, face two counts each of attempted first-degree murder, along with robbery, drug and gun charges.

"It's amazing to me that you would ... bring your child to a drug deal," Godwin said. "Something's really missing here that you would do such a thing."

The baby was taken from Oliver, the child's mother, and placed in the father's custody.

"We're very fortunate that the child is safe (and) the officers, of course, are safe. And I'm glad the suspects weren't injured, at this point," Godwin said. "They're very fortunate, because in another situation fire would have been returned."

According to Godwin and police affidavits:

The officers, whose names were not released, arranged to buy drugs from Frazier in the 300 block of Howard on Wednesday afternoon.

As one officer went to the trunk of Frazier's Ford 500, Young got out of the Ford, pulled a gun and demanded "everything" from the officer. Frazier also pulled a gun.

The suspects took $125 in cash, a police handgun and two cell phones.

The officer tried to break away when Frazier discovered he was wearing a recording device.

Frazier then told the officer: "You're going to get your (expletive) blown off."

The juvenile fired at least five shots at the officers.

"It was a robbery that was set up to be a robbery from the word 'go,'" said Godwin, who said a tap on the trunk put the plan in motion.

Investigators traced the Ford's tag to Express Van and Rental in the 1900 block of Brooks. An employee there then used GPS to pinpoint the car at Elvis Presley Boulevard and Hale.

Officers found Frazier, Oliver and Young in the car eating a meal at Church's Chicken, 4360 Elvis Presley Blvd.

The officers will be off the job for at least a couple of days, Godwin said, while they undergo psychological counseling.

"We asked them to slow down just a bit," he said. "I want them to feel good about themselves and make sure there are no issues."

Frazier and Oliver are being held in Shelby County jails. Young is at Juvenile Court.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crime can happen anywhere. If we were confident in our safety in our own communities most of us would not own so many guns. Back to the post. If I were one of those officers there is no way that I don't return fire. I would like to sound noble and all, but my wife and kids would hate my corpse if I died without fighting back. That kid in the car might not have made it. I am not lying in a ditch pretending to be dead while a drug dealer decides my fate.

No way, no how am I playing dead.

The drug dealers will be dead for real or I will go out trying to make them so.

Not really concerned at that point about a baby in the car that the retards brought with them if I am in a life or death shooting situation.

Dang place really is like Mogidishu.

No two situations are the same. You do not know what you would do or be forced to do until you face that moment of self preservation.. I would think based on what I read I would have been low on ammo by the time it was over. I hope none of us ever have to face that decision making set of circumstances.

No way, no how am I playing dead.

The drug dealers will be dead for real or I will go out trying to make them so.

Not really concerned at that point about a baby in the car that the retards brought with them if I am in a life or death shooting situation.

Dang place really is like Mogidishu.

Forget the kid, someone will end fighting it on the street corner one day.

Guest boatme99

Officers found Frazier, Oliver and Young in the car eating a meal at Church's Chicken, 4360 Elvis Presley Blvd

What a great ad: "After a hard day workin' my fo-d in the 'hood, I kick back with some Churchs. I like the 99 cent special 'cause it leaves mo money for my crack."

Crime can happen anywhere. If we were confident in our safety in our own communities most of us would not own so many guns. Back to the post. If I were one of those officers there is no way that I don't return fire. I would like to sound noble and all, but my wife and kids would hate my corpse if I died without fighting back. That kid in the car might not have made it. I am not lying in a ditch pretending to be dead while a drug dealer decides my fate.

Crime CAN happen anywhere, it just happens a LOT more in Memphis. I'm glad that you would return fire. I'd much rather hear about an officer fighting back than being shot to death in a ditch, even though the outcome was okay for these two officers.

Must have been an easy arrest.

Church's Chicken (in Cookeville) is a posted GUN FREE ZONES.

(XLI+Blog)+Gun-Free+Zone.GIF

It is supposedly corporate decision, so we know the BG's wouldn't be armed while eatin dem lags n biscuits, cause they HAD to leave their pieces LOCKED IN THE CAR.

SMOOTH TAKEDOWN, NO PROBLEMS!

Edited by adamween
Guest Drewsett

Never having been in a SD situation where a gun was used before, I can't definitively say that I would have ignored the fact that there was a baby in the car....but I do have a hard time believing that I could just take fire without returning any. I am glad that both officers are okay and the suspects were apprehended.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I wasnt there so it is really hard to say, but the story reads that both BG's were out of the car......How bad of shooters can the cops be if they think they would miss that badly?

Laying in that ditch with the BG's thinking you were really down would have been IMO a very good time to pop back up and return fire.

I have a TON of respect for any LEO and especially those in places like Memphis, and then undercover to boot?

I will not condem what they did but it does seem a bit odd, and I am certain we are not getting the WHOLE story from the press.

I am very happy that the officers are unhurt.....having to feed and pay for trials for the BG's that fired on them dont make me so happy.

Since we know exactly what happened from the release to the public, I'm sure I can tell you what and how it all went down and what I would have done...oh wait.

• Moderators

From the release this is the information I can surmise with some degree of certainty. There was a shootout, no officers or innocents were injured, the suspects were apprehended and charged.

As long as they are convicted and receive appropriate sentences it sounds like one for the win column to me.

All you fighters, did the officer in the ditch have a gun? It sounds like both officers were on the same page and worked together. They both survived which is the most important thing.

Next, I wouldn't want to die but I sure wouldn't want a dead baby on my mind either. Can you just see the outrage? That probably would have cost both officers their careers and possibly destroyed their lives.

I do love the part about being arrested at the chicken house though...

Mark

Guest Caveman
Crime CAN happen anywhere, it just happens a LOT more in Memphis. I'm glad that you would return fire. I'd much rather hear about an officer fighting back than being shot to death in a ditch, even though the outcome was okay for these two officers.

Suntzu, I don't know why you are always picking on Memphis. So what if it is one of the most dangerous cities in the country? So what if it has more gang related violence than any other city in TN? There is still no reason to say such things. Here in Knoxville, I am affraid to leave my house due to all the drive-bys and home invasions. I wear kevlar when I go to work for god's sake. I think you are just a racist.

At the end of the day everything worked out the BG's where arrested and the officers are safe, I have heard David Toma speak and there is nothing wrong with begging for your life if that is your only option better to be able to go home(even with your pride hurt) than to the morgue because in real life the good guy does not always win. JMHO

Suntzu, I don't know why you are always picking on Memphis. So what if it is one of the most dangerous cities in the country? So what if it has more gang related violence than any other city in TN? There is still no reason to say such things. Here in Knoxville, I am affraid to leave my house due to all the drive-bys and home invasions. I wear kevlar when I go to work for god's sake. I think you are just a racist.

I apologise...you'll be okay. There's no need to cry...snookums.

crying.gif

:shrug:

I think the officer playing dead was extremely lucky to not be shot. I hope that's not part of the new training.

Guest Caveman
I apologise...you'll be okay. There's no need to cry...snookums.

crying.gif

:shrug:

I think the officer playing dead was extremely lucky to not be shot. I hope that's not part of the new training.

The Toby Maguire one was much better...

I do agree though, cop was lucky on this one.