iPad

Daniel

Guest sgtrutledge

I am definately getting one. I am under the impression though it will take standard 3g sim card from at&t ,t-mobile ,etc not a micro-sim or something like it. Anyone heard anything else about this.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon
Calling a paradigm shift isn't that hard - it's a two step process: 1) have we ever seen anything like this?, and 2) does a wide swath of the general public, that are not already Apple loyalists, want it?

With the iPod and iPhone, Apple answered "No" to question 1, and "Yes", to question 2.

With the iPad, the answer to question 1 is "yes, only smaller, but with a couple less features", and to number 2, wait and see. I doubt many people will feel a need to have one, and with consumer spending at the level it is at currently, impulse and iWant purchases may be quite low.

Ah, I see what you're saying. But it isn't so clear. With both the iPod and the iPhone there were other devices that did the same thing that were already out. I think the slashdot comment about the iPod was "no wireless, less space than a nomad, lame"

Before the iPhone everyone was rocking the Blackberry or the RAZR and both were mostly as capable. You could browse the web on the RAZR it was just so crappy you didn't.

So I'm not so certain that the iPad won't be a paradigm shift. If textbooks are cheaper on it it will kill the kindle. If surfing is better on it it will kill netbooks and laptops.

I'll get one just cause I have to but I'm interested to see just how it plays out. Death of the home PC?

Guest mosinon
Not in my home.

I think I have 6 macs laying around and a few PCs and I can't imagine getting rid of any of them for the iPad. But I'm not typical.

Which is the problem with thinking about this stuff, if it doesn't fit for you it is hard to imagine how it fits for everyone else. I still can't wrap my head around why the ipod is so popular.

So while I don't see how the iPad works for the masses it doesn't mean the masses won't adopt it.

Guest HexHead

I'm not saying I won't get one, but I don't see how it fits my needs yet. Maybe when I see one in the flesh? It's exactly what I was expecting them to show, a 10" iPod touch, so my expectations were met.

I'm still leaning towards getting a Kindle though. I might have changed my mind if they partnered with Amazon, since they offer the Kindle app on the iPhone and iPod Touch. But they are going to set up their own "bookstore" like iTunes and you'll have to buy from them.

The Kindle screen is maximized to look like ink & paper and is supposed to be more relaxing on the eyes than a backlit screen. Also, their 3G service to download books (and some limited surfing) anywhere is free. And it's half the price. Also, it links to the Kindle app on my iPhone so when I stop reading on one device and pick up the other, I start reading where I left off. Pretty cool. Amazon also has the same kind of lead on available books that makes the iPhone #1 over other smart phones when it comes to apps.

I am definately getting one. I am under the impression though it will take standard 3g sim card from at&t ,t-mobile ,etc not a micro-sim or something like it. Anyone heard anything else about this.

It ONLY takes micro-sim cards which means T-mobile's out as well as most other US carriers. Micro-sim is mainly a European thing.

Guest redbarron06

I am really loking into one just beacuse I spend so much time on airplanes and I think that watching MAGPUL vidoes on a larger screen will disturb more sheep than watching them on my iphone will. They will be able to see Chris Costa "bust'em" from 3 rows back. :D The sheep will go nuts.

I am not really intrested in the 3G aspect of it however I wish they would unlock the teathering on the iphone so I could teather my laptop off of it. to get on to the internet. As soon as AT&T looses its deathgrip on the iphone I think we will see vast improvements on it too.

AT&T has a much weaker 4G network if they even have one at all. A 4th gen iPhone for sure though.

AFAIK, AT&T isn't firing up 4G until 2011, though from what I've read it should be virtually network wide then. Their 3G service rocks around here.

Guest HexHead
AT&T has a much weaker 4G network if they even have one at all. A 4th gen iPhone for sure though.

Considering I'll have had my original iPhone for 3 years in June, (I waited at the Apple store for two hours on crutches the night they were released) eventually at&t will increase their 4G coverage once it's out. I prefer to be forward compatible rather than one gen behind.

Don't see why I'd need (or want) the IPad. To be fair though, I said the same about the iPhone too but now wouldn't want to live without it. I love the iPhone, HATE AT&T. If/When Verizon picks up the iPhone, I'll be gone instaneously....

Guest mosinon
Don't see why I'd need (or want) the IPad. To be fair though, I said the same about the iPhone too but now wouldn't want to live without it. I love the iPhone, HATE AT&T. If/When Verizon picks up the iPhone, I'll be gone instaneously....

The rumor is exclusivity ends this summer. Thus explaining why I just have a 3g instead of a 3gs. I don't know that Verizon will be any better once slammed by iphone data transfers but at least I'll be able to get a signal