What's the consensus on the .327 magnum?

Will Carry

I haven't quite figured out the .327 yet. I know it will shoot a variety of high priced and hard to get ammunition like the 32 magnum and 32 S&W not to mention the .327 round......but why? What niche does it fill?

Of course I didn't think much of the Taurus Judge either but everyone I know that owns one loves it....go figure.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that I have never noticed a firearm chambered in .327 Magnum in any gun shop I have ever been in. Might have been one there but I haven't noticed them. I also don't recall ever seeing any ammo in that caliber.

In fact, the same thing pretty much goes for the .32 Magnum. I guess you'd have to order the ammo if you ever came across a firearm chambered for it.

I had a Taurus 327 Magnum that I got from another person on GOC. After getting it, I never shot it because of high priced ammo and not a holster that would fit it snugly. Sold it again before ever shooting it. It did come with about 80 rounds of ammo.

Guest HexHead
only guns chambered in it right now are SP101, GP100, blackhawk, and 2 S&Ws, 1 snub and 1 3" version.

supposedly you get .357mag performance with lower recoil.

My favorite gun store has the 3" S&W one and that damn thing sings the siren song to me every time I'm in there. Good thing for me it's stainless. :D

I think you can count on reloading for now, if you can find dies - I haven't looked. I think the main advantage is squeezing an extra round in a small frame revolver.

Dies are easy to find; .32 H&R mag dies will work just fine, so there are no dedicated .327 ones.

Brass, on the other hand, is scarce at the moment.

J.

Guest mwentllc

I have the S&W 3" blued gun, it is even ported. Awesome gun! It has the power of the 357 Magnum and the recoil about the same as a 32. The first time we shot it at the gun range, the whole firing line went quiet and everybody wanted to know what the heck that gun was. It is a great revolver for a woman if she doesn't want an auto

Guest BigNoise

I bought my fiance the Taurus T327, not even on their website! I got it new at Mike's in Tazewell. We shot a variety: 32 Shorts, longs, 32 H&R Mag, and of course the .327 and let me tell you, that last one is nothing to laugh at, it has just as munch recoil as a .357 IMO.

I have the S&W 3" blued gun, it is even ported. Awesome gun! It has the power of the 357 Magnum and the recoil about the same as a 32. The first time we shot it at the gun range, the whole firing line went quiet and everybody wanted to know what the heck that gun was. It is a great revolver for a woman if she doesn't want an auto

Can you point to any ballistic testing that shows that the .327 round is equal to the .357?

Can you point to any ballistic testing that shows that the .327 round is equal to the .357?

It won't be equal to the heavier .357 loads, but even some of the +p .38 loads are as powerful as low-end magnum loads.

The .327 falls in between .38 spl and .357 mag, with ( potential ) over-lap to both, from everything I've read on it.

My big problem with it right now, and what may make me shy away from it, is that .327 mag seems to be near-impossible to find.

J.

I don't know about that one. But it sure does kick like a mule

I bet it doesn't kick as much as hot 125 grain .357 mag loads from a J frame sized gun. :up:

J.

It's STILL a 32 an it won't last. Lot's of "Fanfare" when introduced , just like the 32 H&R mag., all the gun rags said THAT was the best thing since sliced bread too. Where is it now?:up: DIW !!!

It's STILL a 32 an it won't last. Lot's of "Fanfare" when introduced , just like the 32 H&R mag., all the gun rags said THAT was the best thing since sliced bread too. Where is it now?;) DIW !!!

You are aware that Ruger had a .32 mag gun on the books up until the .327 came along, aren't you? And now that the .327 guns are here, there's no need for a dedicated .32 mag one, since the .327 guns will chamber and fire all of the older .32 stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone else still makes .32 H&R revolvers, since so many are making them in .327.

From everything I've been reading, the .32s are a long way from dead, and seem to be getting a boost from the .327 magnum. :up:

J.

To the world of re loaders it is a great cartridge. To the folks who don't reload...you answer your own questions with "why is this chambered in these guns" It has never been for mainstream folks who don't reload. They can use other calibers to fit the bill. It is perfect for wolves, rabbits, raccoons, plinking, and self defense.

Also. Do the math - It is right up there with .357 and yes it kicks like one too.

These new guns can shoot 4 different calibers spanning a century. The blackhawk is 7 or 8 shot if I remember correctly.

.327 Federal Magnum -

Ballistic performance

Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy

100 gr (6.5 g) JHP 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 435 ft·lbf (590 J)

115 gr (7.5 g) JHP 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 431 ft·lbf (584 J)

.357 Magnum -

Ballistic performance

Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy

125 gr (8.1 g) Bonded Defense JHP 1,600 ft/s (490 m/s) 710 ft·lbf (960 J)

130 gr (8.4 g) JHP 1,410 ft/s (430 m/s) 574 ft·lbf (778 J)

158 gr (10.2 g) Gold Dot JHP 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 688 ft·lbf (933 J)

180 gr (12 g) WFNGC Hard Cast 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 676 ft·lbf (917 J)

200 gr (13 g) WFNGC Hard Cast 1,200 ft/s (370 m/s) 640 ft·lbf (870 J)

Not sure how anyone can say that the .327 is equal to the .357...

.327 Federal Magnum -

Not sure how anyone can say that the .327 is equal to the .357...

Not equal - comparable....Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources. Heck - at one time I actually wrote many of those articles myself. There is also a huge fallacy in comparing factory loads. Many cartridges simply are better handloaded. 44 mag, 45 colt, and 45/70 are prime examples. The 32 line of guns also falls into this realm. A 32 single six can be loaded a bit zippier than a factory 32 H&R load.

As mentioned above...barrel length plays a lot here. With the same 357 load I can get 1200fps out of my SP-101 and almost 1800 out of my carbine. Look at what that does to energy.

As mentioned above...barrel length plays a lot here. With the same 357 load I can get 1200fps out of my SP-101 and almost 1800 out of my carbine. Look at what that does to energy.

Uh huh... and I'm betting those .357 loads listed above were fired from a 6 inch barrel. :tinfoil:

J.