AR 15 forward assist

Guest Deputy dog

Guest Deputy dog

I have a Bushmaster AR 15 with a carry handle upper recieve. I am going to change it to a flat top. how inportant is the forward assist ? i have a flat top without a forward assist, looking to TGO for guidance. thank you for your time.:down:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deputy dog

Thanks for your thoughts Westwindmike, thats kinda my way of thinking too but I'm somewhat new to the AR world.

Edited by Deputy dog
Guest BEARMAN
In all my years of shooting AR's, I've never used it. If a round doesn't want to chamber, why would I want to force it in? And then if it doesn't fire, how do I get it out. Maybe a good idea for the dusty dirty battlefield, but I'd rather have a slick side receiver.

+1 Westwindmike...I have never had to use my foward assist on my Stag Arms "lefty" AR either...wonder why AR makers continue to put them on there? May be a tooling issue...kinda like making spec. 1911's...so all parts interchange.

Hope this helps, DD :cheers:

Guest 10mm4me

Forward assists are necessary for people who use the AR platform for combat. After charging the weapon a good brass check is a good idea b4 heading out followed a good push on the forward assist. Obviously while reloading in an engagement you will omit these steps, but they are good for on the range and before heading out on a patrol. On a civilian rifle I think they are not really necessary.

From my limited experience, the forward assist was put there to allow for situations that you and I are not likely to experience, and could create rather significantly negative situations (out-of-battery kabooms, stuck cases, etc.).

In short, chuck it. After all, the smooth-sided uppers look niiiice.

They still put that significant divot in the bolt? (Been quite a while since I had any interest in AR's).

That divot was the original forward assist. Use your thumb. Given that you aren't using it for combat, you should have no problem using it instead of the big lump on the side of the receiver.

Shoot straight!

Guest rystine

Personally I like having the forward assist. I think the only time I used it was in training while we were shooting blanks, but I still like the fact that its there if I need it. Either way, not a big deal for a plinking rifle.

Forward assists are necessary for people who use the AR platform for combat. After charging the weapon a good brass check is a good idea b4 heading out followed a good push on the forward assist. Obviously while reloading in an engagement you will omit these steps, but they are good for on the range and before heading out on a patrol. On a civilian rifle I think they are not really necessary.

There is absolutely NO reason to use the forward assist "in combat" or in a training environment for that matter.

The last thing I want to do if a round doesnt seat/chamber properly is "assist" it by jamming it home.

Smelly brown men trying to steal your pokemon cards? Round doesnt chamber? extract and try again. MUCH faster.

Guest expdnarc

no you really don't need it, but then you have a large hole in the side if your receiver begging to be plugged by something that doesn't belong. Spend the 15 bucks and put a forward assist in your upper.

no you really don't need it, but then you have a large hole in the side if your receiver begging to be plugged by something that doesn't belong. Spend the 15 bucks and put a forward assist in your upper.

I agree- OR- purchase a slick side upper receiver.

Guest Gopher6

IMHO there's only two reasons for the forward assist. One is to really jamb up your gun and the other is to silently chamber a round. I've never had to do either.

Guest Deputy dog
I like having the shell deflector even if it isn't 100 percent necessary. Does anyone make an upper with shell deflector without the forward assist?

Capbyrd I do bleave you can.You mite try Bushmaster.com I think I saw one on there.

There is absolutely NO reason to use the forward assist "in combat" or in a training environment for that matter.

The last thing I want to do if a round doesnt seat/chamber properly is "assist" it by jamming it home.

Smelly brown men trying to steal your pokemon cards? Round doesnt chamber? extract and try again. MUCH faster.

What...the...hell?

Oh, there is a long story about Poke-mon, Hero Gear, and some Roto-Rooter guys, but this is a family board, and ethical extortion requires that once bought, you stay bought - I will say that alcohol was involved :lol:

Not really, I'm making it up, but it was too easy...

Oh, there is a long story about Poke-mon, Hero Gear, and some Roto-Rooter guys, but this is a family board, and ethical extortion requires that once bought, you stay bought - I will say that alcohol was involved :shake:

Not really, I'm making it up, but it was too easy...

:lol:

I always thought that the best reason to have a forward assist is not so much for a round that doesn't want to chamber but for a weak buffer spring. Over time, I would imagine that the buffer spring weakens or sticks, and there could be a situation where the round chambers just fine but the bolt fails to go into battery by a mm or so.

I agree that if the round jams just extract and try another.

Edited by Batman