HCP renewal delay - I guess

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I received my renewal letter in the mail and sent it in the 1st week of January. my HCP expires on 2/23 so I expected the my new permit might not make it to me before that expiration. However the letter said that I would receive a receipt type letter that I could carry in the mean time along with my current HCP that would keep me good until the new permit arrived. I have yet to receive that receipt letter and its been nearly 4 weeks. I called the HCP office and they just said "we are running behind, if you don't have it in a couple of weeks calls us back". Well - in a couple of weeks my stinking permit will expire!

Anybody else waiting on a renewal right now and did you actually get the 'receipt' letter in the mail?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remember how long it was, but my last renewal didn't seem to take that long. But the receipt is another reason I have always gone in person.

There is a bill in the legislature now that would allow a canceled check to serve as proof of renewal. Letting your elected officials know of this delay may be something that could help this bill pass and also make it easier for those that renew by mail to show proof of renewal.

Don't remember how long it was, but my last renewal didn't seem to take that long. But the receipt is another reason I have always gone in person.

There is a bill in the legislature now that would allow a canceled check to serve as proof of renewal. Letting your elected officials know of this delay may be something that could help this bill pass and also make it easier for those that renew by mail to show proof of renewal.

That is why I went in person to renew as well. I walked out with my receipt.

Hopefully you will get your receipt before the 23rd. You would have thought 6 weeks was enough time to at least get your receipt back.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I'm kinda stuck now because I have sent in the $50 check. If I go in person, they 'might' let me renew in person but it will surely cost me another $50 because if I know the government, the department that handles the mail renewals won't have any communication at all with the department that handles the walk ins so they will have no way of 'proving' that I already sent in my application etc...

Oh well - I'll give it another week or so and then give them a call to see if I get somebody more helpful on the phone.

Id put it to em like this. Tell em if you or yours get killed while waiting on the renewal and you are not able to carry because of the renewal paperwork not having gone through then you will hold them legally (financially wrongful death lawsuit) responsible. I did that with my regular permit and it magically went to the print farm that day.

Im not a lawyer but i think by state law they have to issue you permit after 3 months.

The 3 months is only for new applicants.

I know people that have applied as new applicants after I renewed mine and they have already got their permit.

The above is why most of us feel that new applicants are given priorty and can cause renewals to take longer.

Id put it to em like this. Tell em if you or yours get killed while waiting on the renewal and you are not able to carry because of the renewal paperwork not having gone through then you will hold them legally (financially wrongful death lawsuit) responsible. I did that with my regular permit and it magically went to the print farm that day.

First of all I don't think you'd have any case no matter what, but mainly in this situation the delay on a renewal being issued does not prevent him from being able to carry. You can carry with and expired HCP as long as you can show you applied for a renewal before the expiration date.

Although I don't completely like the way he says it DaveTN is correct in that in TN you do not have a right to carry in TN. It is a privilege that you purchase from the state.

Unless you applied the day you turned 21 the state could simply argue that it was your delay in applying that caused whatever happened to happen. If you were truly concerned you would have applied earlier in your life.

Now I'm not saying that if on a new permit it has taken greater than 90 days that you should do nothing, but I don't think there is a case against the state.

But then again....what do I know...

If you contact the permit department they will email/fax and snail mail you a letter that is proof that you have applied for a renewal while your permit is still valid. You will carry that letter with you along with your permit until such time as you receive the renewed permit.

Next time go in person as the renewals were taking up to 4 months plus when I did mine last year.

If you contact the permit department they will email/fax and snail mail you a letter that is proof that you have applied for a renewal while your permit is still valid. You will carry that letter with you along with your permit until such time as you receive the renewed permit.

Next time go in person as the renewals were taking up to 4 months plus when I did mine last year.

So if you go in person what do they do it right then at the dmv? I thought they just process the paperwork and give you a receipt but you still may have to wait four months for the actual permit to arrive?

So if you go in person what do they do it right then at the dmv? I thought they just process the paperwork and give you a receipt but you still may have to wait four months for the actual permit to arrive?

That's it, plus they can't say they didn't receive it in time.

You may have to wait 8 months (not really) but they give you the reciept you need to show you renewed right then. It doesn't have to be mailed or faxed to you.

buck1032 did you get a letter to carry with your expired permit while waiting on the renewal - or Krull, did your dad get a letter?

Yes I did. Its one of the copies of the renewal form along with the receipt for payment stapled to it. It makes my wallet look like I am rolling in the dough. LOL

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Interestingly, after calling them yesterday to see what the progress was, we noticed this morning that my $50 check cleared yesterday. Maybe it is coincidence or maybe they dug my paperwork out of a stack and started working on it yesterday after I called? who knows.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I just called again. The nice lady told me that my permit was issued on Feb 10th and is in the mail. I should get it next week sometime. That will put the renewal time at about 40 days for me.

Interestingly, after calling them yesterday to see what the progress was, we noticed this morning that my $50 check cleared yesterday. Maybe it is coincidence or maybe they dug my paperwork out of a stack and started working on it yesterday after I called? who knows.

I sent mine in November 6, 2009.

The check cleared on November 19th.

My HCP ran out January 30, 2010.

I'm still waiting.

Gonna make a call asap.