Any local dealers for 10/22 receivers

Reg

I would like to purchase a 10/22 receiver for a build project as I haven't located a good "donor" gun from which to scavenge a receiver. Are there any dealers within a reasonable drive from Knoxville that can order a receiver from Tactical Solutions, Kidd, Nodak Spud, or MOA?

I realize I can order one myself and transfer it through an FFL, but I thought I would see if any dealers are interested as they can buy at wholesale and make a little off the deal.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might want to check with Hero Gear

X2

I think if anybody handles them they would. I've looked around at several other places myself and didn't come up with anything other than ordering online, but I actually lucked up and found a decent doner hiding at my dad's house that he himself didn't even realize he had. :koolaid:

Guest 1817ak47

hey if you get a used one I would be interested in the trigger guard assembly if it is the metal one. the newer ones are plastic which mine is:poop:

hey if you get a used one I would be interested in the trigger guard assembly if it is the metal one. the newer ones are plastic which mine is:poop:
The new trigger guard assembly is polymer the old metal ones are aluminum. Ruger has a video on their website of them testing the strength of both the assemblies and the polymer is actually stronger and more impact resistant. They drop the same amount of weight on each one and the metal one breaks the polymer one is not even cracked. Check the video out its pretty interesting I thought the metal would be better too myself until that video.
The new trigger guard assembly is polymer the old metal ones are aluminum. Ruger has a video on their website of them testing the strength of both the assemblies and the polymer is actually stronger and more impact resistant. They drop the same amount of weight on each one and the metal one breaks the polymer one is not even cracked. Check the video out its pretty interesting I thought the metal would be better too myself until that video.

They may be stronger initially, but I wonder how they will do over time? At any rate, the finish on the newer models is marginal - especially the crinkle finish on the receivers.

Have you done a 10/22 before? If so what did you do? If not, what do you want to do? I've done 3 to varying degrees. It is sort of embarrassing what I have into one of them.

Yes, I have a few including one with an aftermarket receiver.

Edited by Reg

I'm going with the polymer group on the one I'm rebuilding right now, but I'm doing it for someone who will probably never fire it. I'm also going to purchase one of the newer style 10/22's in the next week or so, and as much as I shoot and disassemble my rifles for cleaning it will be interesting to see how well the polymer holds up to that. For me I'm not worried about it breaking as much as I am about the holes for all the pins wearing out easily and causing the whole group to have alot of play in it. I will know in time I'm sure, but most likely that will be one of the first things I change out on the new one that's for me to go back to the aluminum.

Of course, as long as it holds up good I will continue to use the polymer one. Only time will tell though.

now my group isn't showing any problems, but in the long term it may, will the plastic get weak and get brittle and lose strengh??

Probably not soon, there are alot of polymer handguns in service. Whether these become heirloom guns to get passed down who knows? The first thing to go on cars, boats, or anything else is the plastic. I know it gets better all the time, but even Corvettes had problems with their carbon/composite springs and Boeing had some issues with space-age plastics too.

The cross pins in Ruger 10/22 aren't very critical as far as tight fit. Some of them fall out easily right from the git go, whether the trigger housing is aluminum or polymer.

The stock holds them in place, or most of them would come out by themselves during firing.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
The cross pins in Ruger 10/22 aren't very critical as far as tight fit. Some of them fall out easily right from the git go, whether the trigger housing is aluminum or polymer.

The stock holds them in place, or most of them would come out by themselves during firing.

- OS

Right. I can live with the polymer trigger housing, I just wish they would have maintained better finish on the receiver. It probably wouldn't be too bad to bead blast and Duracoat.

That being said, I located a donor gun (pre-'08), so I'm good to go. It cost a bit more than a new one.

Right. I can live with the polymer trigger housing, I just wish they would have maintained better finish on the receiver. It probably wouldn't be too bad to bead blast and Duracoat...

Hell, the barrel finish is atrocious anymore, too.

Barrel and receiver look like a kid just glopped on enamel paint. Actually, enamel would stay on better methinks. If I hadn't put in a different hammer in mine, not sure I'd would have even ever removed bolt, except you have to now and then to get all the flaked paint out of there.

- OS

Hell, the barrel finish is atrocious anymore, too.

Barrel and receiver look like a kid just glopped on enamel paint. Actually, enamel would stay on better methinks. If I hadn't put in a different hammer in mine, not sure I'd would have even ever removed bolt, except you have to now and then to get all the flaked paint out of there.

- OS

The new finish gets scratched real easy too almost like a dry parkerized finish I bought a new 10/22 a few years back(sold it about 6 months later) and I swear you could have scratched it with a fingernail.