Snowpocalypse 2010

Guest SUNTZU

Snowpocalypse '10: Everybody Panic! - Weather - Gawker

EVERYBODY PANIC!

1a.jpg

Washington DC is forecast to get 20 to 28 inches of snow. Naturally, the capitol is preparing for the impending blizzard by hoarding Lunchables, half & half and Chunky Monkey according to this tipster photo taken at Safeway last night. Meanwhile up here in New York, the forecast is bit more uncertain. The current advisory is a less-than-metropolis-paralyzing 4 to 8 inches, with this corollary that makes any prediction useless Since "the forecast area will be along the northern edge of the storm system," we could get "more snow" or "little or no snow." But don't let that make you second-guess your evening date with a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

1b.jpg

Urgent!: There is no more produce or canned soup on sale at the Fairfax, Va., Wegmans except for — can't tell really — jalapenos, ginseng and a few cans of Chef Boyardee.

More pictures at link.

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"

"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."

"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; we have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.

When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger, while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer.

Then the Grasshopper knew:

It is best to prepare for the days of necessity.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem solved.

That is awesome. I have two but they are both mean and tough as leather. Must get that from their mom.

It is amazing to me that people can't see the basic need to prepare. How did this get lost in only one generation? I suppose it has to do with a McDonald and Starbucks on every corner and the instant gratification of a Burrito supreme from Taco Bell.

Guest Republican

I envy the work ethic of the Ant as they work nonstop without orders or discipline.

It must be a natural instint to hoard food for humans as well, even if its at the last minute. Lol.

I'm poak. If you can hear this, you're one of the survivors... :lol:

The worst part about snow in TN, is that 99% of the populace has NO clue how to drive in it.

I live on a hill, and last night there were about 7 wrecks within 1 mile on the hill. ;)

The worst part about snow in TN, is that 99% of the populace has NO clue how to drive in it.

I live in Memphis. 99% of the populace has no clue how to drive in ideal conditions. 100% of the populace has no clue how to drive in inclement weather. 1 snow flake can cause a massive interstate shutdown.

Guest BEARMAN
I can only hope (I'm dreaming here) that the White House would go through a black out like everyone else and for as long as everyone else.

That's highly unlikely, since they have back-up generators, paid for by?....you guessed it!....US!

They probably got back up generators for their back up generators! :D:P

Guest jackdm3

That's a given. I was just hoping we could have one of the beautiful Hollywood stories where they'd do without while the general public suffers. Like I said, "HOLLYWOOD." No government in their right mind would volunteer such discomfort. I think David will be here shortly to stomp on me again for even implying non-ultra-conservative views.

There's a problem with the ant and grasshopper story. In the real world the grasshoppers are cared for by the "Government," which demands that the ants turn over their stores to the central warehouse, where the Government will hand it out to the grasshoppers, after keeping a large portion for government workers.

Lesson: Ants, hide your stuff, and don't let anyone know where it is or that you even have it. Otherwise, it will be taken from you.

I live in Memphis. 99% of the populace has no clue how to drive in ideal conditions. 100% of the populace has no clue how to drive in inclement weather. 1 snow flake can cause a massive interstate shutdown.

:poop:

I got a good laugh out of that.

They probably got back up generators for their back up generators! :poop::D

Well, you know what Uncle Sam always says, "Why buy one when you can buy two?".

• 2 weeks later...
There's a problem with the ant and grasshopper story. In the real world the grasshoppers are cared for by the "Government," which demands that the ants turn over their stores to the central warehouse, where the Government will hand it out to the grasshoppers, after keeping a large portion for government workers.

Lesson: Ants, hide your stuff, and don't let anyone know where it is or that you even have it. Otherwise, it will be taken from you.

John Ringo's The Last Centurion

Check this out it's a pretty good read and it addresses what you are talking about.