DMV asked a favor today to help future HCP Applicants

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

We were at the DMV today turning in our HCP Apps and they asked if we could somehow get the word out to the teachers of the HCP Classes and to anyone about to apply for their permit.

Before they get to the DMV make sure they understand they will need $115 Cash or a Certified Check for payment and a Certified copy of their birth certificate.

He said they are having to turn people away everyday because they don't have the correct payment type or a certified birth certificate.

Maybe this will keep someone from having to make an extra trip for something they didn't have.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcoyle6

It helps to know, but a buddy of mine got turned down by the DMV because he had a certified copy of his birth certificate from the state of TX. Apparently the TNDMV won't take any form of photo copy even though that is what his family was given???

Yep, I had to write to Maryland to get a certified one as well as the photo copy I had carried around my whole life, service included was denied!

Another good thing to know is if you give them an extra $5.00 and ask to fill out a duplicate form at the same time, you will get two HCP permits. This way you can keep one in your primary vehicle at all times and one on your person. Will help if you forget your wallet that one time eh!

Guest Phantom6
We were at the DMV today turning in our HCP Apps and they asked if we could somehow get the word out to the teachers of the HCP Classes and to anyone about to apply for their permit.

Before they get to the DMV make sure they understand they will need $115 Cash or a Certified Check for payment and a Certified copy of their birth certificate.

He said they are having to turn people away everyday because they don't have the correct payment type or a certified birth certificate.

Maybe this will keep someone from having to make an extra trip for something they didn't have.

We give all our students a handout entitled "Now that I've Taken This Really neat Class What Do I Do Next?" It provides step by step writen instructions which include the information you mention as well as locations and times of operation of both DOS DL stations and fingerprinting locations throughout our usual 9 county service area. Takes a little time to stay on top of but it sure beats an angry phone call. :surrender: Hard to imagine that other schools don't do that.

extra $5.00 and ask to fill out a duplicate form at the same time, you will get two HCP permits.

I wish I had done that. I am real paranoid about losing it as I put it in my pocket when out of the truck and then clip it back to the visor when I get back in the truck. A duplicate would really have simplified things.

Guest bkelm18
I wish I had done that. I am real paranoid about losing it as I put it in my pocket when out of the truck and then clip it back to the visor when I get back in the truck. A duplicate would really have simplified things.

Is that the only time you can get a duplicate?

Guest bkelm18
Unless things have changed, you have to fill out the form completely and pay them the $5 to get a duplicate at a later date.

Lady here at DOT told me getting the duplicate would invalidate the original. She was/is wrong about that.

Haha yeah, I guess it wouldn't really be called a duplicate now then would it. :D

Guest bkelm18
I don't recall having to have a certified copy of my birth certificate when I got mine. When did this come about? I used my TN DL as proof of who I was.

It was only a couple years ago that they started requiring proof of citizenship, and I believe that you only have to show it to them once, after that it's on your record and you're good to go from then on.

I don't recall having to have a certified copy of my birth certificate when I got mine. When did this come about? I used my TN DL as proof of who I was.

Yeah that's just freakin rich now isn't it? You're at the DMV who issued you a license that they don't damn accept as a form of ID. I lie awake at night wondering about the stupidity of the .gov's.

I'm sure someone here knows why, my best guess is since they issued ID's to illegal felons, er I mean immigrants, that they now have no way of knowing for sure who is actually legally an american.

Guest ETS_Inc
I didn't have to have a certified copy of my BC, but I had to show my green card.

I'm a Canadian citizen though, so YMMV

What part of Canada, eh? Me mudder's a Newfie. I actually lived on "The Rock" for a year.

Guest BigBoostDSM
What part of Canada, eh? Me mudder's a Newfie. I actually lived on "The Rock" for a year.

Right down town Toronto

Them Newfies are crazy, I'll sign a petition for them to tear that bridge down :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CrazyLincoln

Question. I don't have a copy of my birth certificate handy, however, i do have my passport. Does this qualify? TN Dept of Safety web site says so, but I was curious if anyone knows for sure. Thanks in advance.